Leaking Cold Start Injector or Fuel Injector?

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
I tried searching but there is nothing about the cold start injector leaking, that i could find anyways. There is this "hissing" noise I hear around my intake manifold.. It does it whenever the car is running, when its cold or hot. Its driving me nuts because I cant figure it out. I replaced te intake manifold gaskets and checked the hoses in the general are where the noise is coming from. It sounds like this..

Pshhh.....psh....pshhhhhhhhhhh.........pshhh...psh......

When I start my car when its cold, it doesnt start very easy. I have to give it throttle to make it start. It idles at about 700-750rpm when cold, but when the engine warms up it idles around 1000-1100, which is too high.

Any help appreciated.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Something is leaking air... and if I had to guess without any information at all, I'd say the coupler from the 3000 pipe to the throttle body is likely the culprit. These are usually old, hard, brittle, and split on the underside. Pull off your 3000 pipe and check that coupler.

Either that or the EGR system where it bolts to the back of the intake manifold.

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
It has cooleeze hard pipes on it so its definitely not the couplers.

I just looked at the intake manifold, and your talking on the far right (closest to the firewall) where the lower part of the intake manifold bolts on to the head, correct? If so, there is an open hole with two studs that stick out (no egr thing). If you could show me a picture, it would be a lot simpler.

Who has block off plates for this? I would need to block the intake side, and the hole on the back of the head too, right?

Would this cause all the poor starting and high idle aswell?

Thanks Grim :D

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, I was talking about the back of the intake plenum. The spot you are referring to is the first end of the EGR, the other end feeds into the intake plenum on the back. If the hole on the back of the intake plenum isn't plugged, it will leak air into the intake bigtime.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Here, dug about and found a picture for you...

IMG_5149a.JPG

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Is that your motor Grim?

I'd suggest cracking a propane bottle (little campfire size with a torch fitting works well, or a bernzomatic brazing torch) and "washing" the intake down while it's running. Any fluctuation's in the idle speed will halp you pin point the location...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IHI-RHC7;1008626 said:
Is that your motor Grim?

I'd suggest cracking a propane bottle (little campfire size with a torch fitting works well, or a bernzomatic brazing torch) and "washing" the intake down while it's running. Any fluctuation's in the idle speed will halp you pin point the location...
You betcha. That's just before the last install. :)

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Yeah, im missing the EGR stuff on the head. Any vendors make some sort of block off plate kit? And can the piece on the back of the head be put on with the engine in?

Thanks guys :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Err... you *can* put it on with the engine in, but it's not fun, and you need an extremely small ratchet...

I'm pretty sure a couple of the guys here make bock off kits. Try 935 / Driftmotion / NotRice, I'll bet one of them either carries them or knows where to get them.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
IHI-RHC7;1008626 said:

Starter fluid or carburetor cleaner works great as well.

Let the car idle, and start spraying around the intake. When you hear a fluctuation, then you know where the leak is.