Leaking air

Jay633

Jul 29, 2010
Hueneme Bay,Ca
In the motor it appears to be leaking air you can here the psssss sound. I sprayed the cold start fluid by the fuel rail( first injector from the firewall) and while he motor was running it made he Rpms go lower. Any suggestions on what it is or o can do to further solve my problem?

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
A buddy of mine had the same thing happen. Huge pssss air noise. Turned out to be his lower intake manifold gasket was basically gone around the number one cylinder. We hooked up my boost leak tester and found exactly where it was coming from. I'd say do the same thing, it'll definitely tell you were its coming from.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
good info here.. i have that same air leaking sound around the intake manifold and was wondering if it would be the gasket itself, i'll have a look at it

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I 2nd the orings. It's the ones between the injector and the head. 'Injector Vibration Dampener' 23291-41010 x 6.

I was able to do all 6 by removing just the fuel rail and using a telescoping part magnet to slide them into place. A bit tight this way but it worked.

If that $20 fix doesn't work then go through the extra trouble of removing the intake manifold and replacing the gaskets.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
If you have access to a smoke machine, you can smoke the manifold and see where it comes out. Fastest/easiest method, but most people don't have the equipment.
-AM3

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Personally if I get a leak such as mentioned, I would pull the intake and reseal the whole thing and replace all the injector seals. Now this may seem like over kill but I am one for making sure that everything is in good shape, and not having the notion that the 7m is such an unreliable engine. Do it all and you wont have to worry about it for a long time. Not to mention the cost of renting a smoke machine or having a shop smoke it is probably more then all the seals and gaskets involved anyways. Smoke machines are upwards of $1000. A shop will usually charge 1 hour labor so $80+.

Just my .02