LDz 1.5JZ ,track/AutoX sUpRa

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Could not update the old thread ,but anyways I'm doing 1.5JZ now. Old threads are here and here

BaseLine:

Track/AutoX prepped MK3.

Rear end:
- Custom heavily reinforced rear SubFrame ()
- All 3+3 A1 Racing ARMS ()
- ST Sway Bar + Adjustable EndLinks )
- Blue Poly UPC Bushings + Zerks ()
- 6x Nylon SubFrame Spacers ()

Front:
-Custom AL Subframe Spacers
-LCA Blue Poly UPC Bushings + Zerks()
-Custom Adjustable UPC (Caster ,Camber) ()
- ST Sway Bar + Adjustable EndLinks ()
- Red Poly Rack bushings
- JIC Magic Lower Reinforcement Bar ()
-25mm H&R spacers ()

Suspension:
-Tein RAs ()
-Tein EDC ()
- Current Alignment specs (based on many AutoX and Track temp analyses for various street tires) ()

Wheels & Tires:
- 17x8.5 ,17x9.5 SSR Professor SP1 Wheels ()
- 4x Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 255/40ZR17

Brakes:
- JDK front BBK- 13.1"@35mm rotor, Superlite 4 pot Calipers ()
- MKIV rear BBK (Jake Reed mounting hardware) ()
- upgraded brake master cylinder (1 1/8")?
- master cylinder to ST bracket ()

DriveTrain:
- Custom Diff (JZA70/MA70 Hybrid 4.1 ,Clutch Type) ()
- SupraSport 1pc DriveShaft
-Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
- LighWeight FW
-SOGI Shifter + 2x poly shifter bushings

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Engine:
Short history:
Car came with 7M-GTE. BHG on stock bolts and torque ,BHG repaired with ARP hardware and stock HG. 2 Seasons later again BHG. Engine replaced with fully buid 7M ,200 miles later total engine destruction due to valve to piston interference. 3th engine 1JZ from JARCO () ,rod knock from day one resulted in only 1 season of engine live – engine destroyed at the Authobahn track:) (h)

Currently 1.5JZ swap.
Engine accesoaries:
- China IC , 24X12X3 Intercooler ()
-IC Pipes 3inch Pre IC ,2.5 Post IC

-HUGE PWR (Australian) Radiator
- SPAL Dual 11" High Performance Cooling Fan 2780 CFM
- SPAL THERMOSTATIC CONTROL PWM - SETRAB OIL COOLER 13 X 5.5" x2.0”

- Dash 10 Lines to cooler + Earl’s Thermo Control
--450cc+ JDM 2JZ-GTE Injectors

-SAFC + AVCR
-ZT2 + PLX dataLoggers (EGT ,AFR ,Boost ,RPM ,CoolantTemp/OilPressure)

Head:
- Crower Stage 1 Cams ()
- Single Valve Springs CROWER 84168 (15% more pressure across the board) ()
- Titanium Retainers (7 grams vs. stock steel at 14.5 grams) ()

Turbo:
- GT35R (aka GT35/40R ,aka GT3582R) (.82 A/R ,AntiSurge ,V-Band ,etc.) ()
- Oil Feed Filter!! ,All SS Braided Lines
- The Drewgo (‘s) Manifold

- China Special 3” downpipe
- TiAL v44 Wastegate
- TiAL 50mm BOV ()

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
The 1.5JZ Engine.
Sourced the 2JZ block this time from hopefully good source. This 1997 GS300 that I’ve purches at an auction with vechile history checked prior to that (One owner ,89K miles ,checked all Toyota Service records until Timing belt at 68k).

I had no choice but to clay the motor due to the following reasons:
-Quite a few failed 1.5JZ and the SupraHero’s failed engine (possibly due to Valve to Piston interference)
- I absolutely wanted to use the stock 1JZ head gasket ,too keep my CR as close as possible to the target 9.2 to 9.3
-I’m ushing aftermarket (Crower Stage 1) cams

Here are some pics of the clay results. Measured valve-to-piston clearance was well over 1.0mm ,considering the fact that I did the procedure with no Head Gasket this is sufficient.

Could not find any exact info on the waterNeck to WaterPump pipe extension. I got 0.75” from Mark and this is how much I welded the firs time ,however it still was a little too short. I added additional 0.15” and had to do a Gheto Mod as seen here.

I’m currently redoing my Turbo Support bracket and will keep the tread up to date.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Had some drivetrain noise ,decided to check the diff out.

Note that this is a hybrid diff ,purchased from Dr Jonez and rebuild by jawsgear. Here is what these rebuilders did...

1. The the bad choice of shims for the "shim tuning" caoused BOTH retainers to brake (parts that are only availible in Japan):

IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

2. The poor choice of vendor for the colapsable spacer caused it to dig into the rear bearing (yes these "highly reputable" re-builders choose Ratech ,which is a crime considering the price of the OEM was around $10)

IMG_9658.jpg

The conslusion was that the noise was not coming from my diff ,so logically we continued with checkin the tranny. Intrestingly enough after 150 000 miles my tranny was in great condition http://forums.lorddigital.com/Project/1.5JZ/Diff and Tranny Rebuilds/Output/images/IMG_7291.jpg,just in case we checked my spare tranny and I found that it was in like new inside ,especially the syncros so yes the car that I sourced it from was really a 60k miles supra:)

The conclusion is that the DriveShaft is too short ,whoever claims that the JZ BellHousing is long enough should thing twice - it really is AT LEAST 1inch shorter. Installing a Pre89 tranny is a major joy ,but more importantly the drive shaft from 7m works ,but the contact with the tranny tail is just not enough...

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Looks like an awesome setup man! I've autocrossed once before and I was seriously addicted. However being addicted to autocrossing and not having upgraded suspension doesn't really add up well...

Any outside videos of your runs?

-Nick-

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
A few 1.5JZ vs 1JZ EGT observations.

Same everything ,Turbo ,Cams ,tune ,Boost - EGTs at the end of 4th were at least 10% higher:

900-C-EGT.jpg

First guess was that the audio characteristics of the 2JZ block were different than the 1JZ causing false knocks resulting in bad timing from the ECU but even with the knock sensors disconnected and ECU reset the EGTs were in the same range...

RaceFuel vs Pump gas - no difference.

Open Exaust vs the 2.5inch cat back (the backPressure lead) - no difference.

1 AFR richer - resulted in the range of 20C improvement ,so I left it this way. This is a real push for the JDM 2JZ injectors - duty is kind of high and I'm really close to the fuelCut but better safe than sorry. With better injectors and the usual track boost for GT35R (around 1.3barr) I guess that the EGTs would be in the 920+C territory easy ,but I guess that this is the price we have to pay for having the high CR turbo engine...

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
CHI2K9 Dyno Day at SP

Car made 387rwhp ,at only 12psi boost. Looking at the dataLog I could tell that the Load on the vechile was just way too little ,way too fast possibly causing the AVC-R to to cut the boost down... No Torque Curve ,no RPM readings - this must be the "Sound Performance Way" of doing Dynos I guess :icon_wink

The powerBand was great ,2nd to 3th gear and 3th to 4th gears would keep im in the 90% power range! The setup is great for track at this point I don't think that I even need much more power.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Edsl4xDp-c&feature=channel_page

HP Graph with PB analysis:

15JZ.jpg

Data Logger Graph:

DynoZT2.jpg