LCD TV VS. LCD Monitors

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
I'm planning on buying a new setup for my computer and I was debating whether I should get several LCD monitors or a giant LCD tv. I have been reading up that 720d lcd tvs are acceptable replacements for lcd monitors, but the 1080d lcd tvs are recommended. I need the extra work space for school and I am somewhat tight on money. I plan on buying either 3 24" lcd monitors or 1 giant 42" lcd tv, any inputs or ideas?? I will be running dual Geforce GTX 260's.

edit: The programs I will be using are solidworks, almost all the autodesk products (3d max/autocad/archicad/etc.) , most of the adobe products.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
JASONA70;1181221 said:
I'm planning on buying a new setup for my computer and I was debating whether I should get several LCD monitors or a giant LCD tv. I have been reading up that 720d lcd tvs are acceptable replacements for lcd monitors, but the 1080d lcd tvs are recommended. I need the extra work space for school and I am somewhat tight on money. I plan on buying either 3 24" lcd monitors or 1 giant 42" lcd tv, any inputs or ideas?? I will be running dual Geforce GTX 260's.

edit: The programs I will be using are solidworks, almost all the autodesk products (3d max/autocad/archicad/etc.) , most of the adobe products.

i like it at work i have more than one monitor... although i have my 32'' LCD tv at home hooked up to my desktop. they both have there purks. but if your tight on money i would do the multiple monitors. its really good for when your mulitasking and need to do two things at once so you can have one item in each window. so yeah i would say go with the monitor screens.... its been a long day i dont think im making much sence lol

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
well the thing is, buying multiple monitors comes out to be around the same price as buying the tv. There is a very big price gap between 720d and 1080d and I was wondering how much of a difference it was quality wise. thanks for your input, I was leaning toward the multiple LCD monitors.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
JASONA70;1181262 said:
well the thing is, buying multiple monitors comes out to be around the same price as buying the tv. There is a very big price gap between 720d and 1080d and I was wondering how much of a difference it was quality wise. thanks for your input, I was leaning toward the multiple LCD monitors.

ok i got you... just to correct you on something its 720p* (stands for progresive) not d... the difference in the two is pretty great. the difference between 720p and 1080p is how many lines of resolution there are. 720 horizontal scan lines of display resolution, same goes for 1080p. so the difference would be 360 extra line of resolution. now there is 1080i which stands for interlaced every other line in 1080. for what your doing though multiple screens are good. the thing your working with almost sounds like autocad.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
xD thanks for clearing that up for me. I just wanted to know what is the best option for me, either interlaced or progressive. I will be working with a lot of 3d modeling and animation (cgi).

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Progressive is always better.

You should be looking at resolution. NOT size. A big ass 720p tv won't be shit compared to two small LCD monitors with a 2000 resolution.

I would most definitely get LCD monitors. Hell, why even get more than one? Get one like these and you'll be just fine for using CAD+word+internet browser+AIM all at the same time on one screen. I should know. At CU Boulder, we have labs of those exact dell monitors. I use them all day everyday. I can't imagine why you would ever need more space.

2560x1600 is like having two 1080p tvs. 4 megapixels vs 2.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
JASONA70;1181417 said:
looks like I'll be getting 2 24" and 1 19" from dell.

I have serval dell lcd monitors that are several years old now:a 19,26, and 30-33 or something like that. I dont have top of the line graphics card but i can always turn them to the highest pixel resolution.I use DVI inputs and i can watch HD movies in 1080i, use them as tv's or play my xbox on them. Actually i like my dell monitors :)