launching Rpm's?

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ok guys, ive started drag racing alittle bit. Now, dont laugh, but what a descent RPM to launch at? I drive a non-turbo btw.

Im not sure, ive been dumping it at 3500 a few times, and sometimes ill spin, and sometimes ill hook up.

:1zhelp:

What RPM's do you guys launch at?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I haven't launched my car too aggresively much, (I've still got stock clutch and I'm assuming you do too), but bringing it to around 2,500-3k as I start to let out the clutch, then not dumping but slipping it "rapidly" as I increase RPM's has worked best, not too hard on the drivetrain and still sits you back in the seat without any spin or bogging.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Yeah, don't dump the clutch, and I would say about 3400~3800 is a good launch RPM to quickly let the clutch out, but not a stratight dump, about 1.5 sec or so I think, don't let it slip for too long or you'll be buying new clutches.

Although for pure fun, running it up to 5900 and dumping it is a great way to lose some rubber and make for quite a show of wheelspin. I got lucky and meat my friends Camaro like that, but it wouldn't have been any good except that we were both screwin around and letting the tires spin a whole bunch.

But yeah, 3400-800 and 1.5ish sec clutch engagement.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
launch RPM and method totally depends on YOUR car, location and what tires you're using. the best way to figure it out is try differing methods and see what nets you the best 60'......provided you're on a strip.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
be carefull with that stock clutch, will. the stocker on my N/A motor didn't like to be launched at all. :(

-shaeff

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
shaeff said:
be carefull with that stock clutch, will. the stocker on my N/A motor didn't like to be launched at all. :(

-shaeff

I dont do it much. But i seem to think my tranny's not gonna last long. Ill send you a PM with some details.

I also gotta talk to ya about the turbbbo

:icon_bigg

Supra_Z

7M dreamin
Feb 15, 2006
San Jose CA
MDCmotorsports said:
Ive got 315's on the back, drag shocks, and a very large to4. If I don't launch at 4000-4200 it bogs and looks like an N/A off the line.

how the hell did you get 315's on your mkiii?

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
I dont get it I have a N/A good rubber but even launching at 3k i burn out
can figure out y

i have no engine uprades so i should only have mabey 170 at the wheels :dunno:

Cup_of_suprA

Jul 28, 2006
california
Good rubber makes all the difference....always loved yok's. It gets to be an expensive hobby after a while, thats why i try not to burn out too much

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
i only have 245s in the rear and the stock ct weith all the usual suspects when it comes to mods and i usually take it up to about 45 or so. minor sideways kick and then your into the back of the seat. but i also run kuhmo ecstas

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I find that I can safely launch around 2500-3K any higher, and either my clutch won't engage (smells like it's burning, but maybe it's just my release time), the wheels will spin, or they will hop like CRAZZZY.

Oh, and I have Nitto NT450's I believe on stock evrything...

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
MDCmotorsports said:
Ive got 315's on the back, drag shocks, and a very large to4. If I don't launch at 4000-4200 it bogs and looks like an N/A off the line.

So what the F did you launch at when you and me went at it at the stop light in Chicago?!!!! :icon_bigg

And SupraZ, his fender well has been flared out to fit bigger tires.
Thats how he got 315's on the back and booooy do they look purdy.

:love:

BTW, I usually launch at about 2400rpms.............that's low, you ask?:icon_razz

I've also got some boost awaiting in those 2400rpms when I decide to fly away off the line. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Jeff

Supra_Z

7M dreamin
Feb 15, 2006
San Jose CA
Jspec7m88 said:
So what the F did you launch at when you and me went at it at the stop light in Chicago?!!!! :icon_bigg

And SupraZ, his fender well has been flared out to fit bigger tires.
Thats how he got 315's on the back and booooy do they look purdy.

:love:

BTW, I usually launch at about 2400rpms.............that's low, you ask?:icon_razz

I've also got some boost awaiting in those 2400rpms when I decide to fly away off the line. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Jeff

so if i got my fenders rolled i can fit 315's no problem or is there more to it?

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Supra_Z said:
so if i got my fenders rolled i can fit 315's no problem or is there more to it?

Ehhh, Jon (MDC's) car is tuckin' them in there pretty good...If he could fit anything bigger, it wouldn't be much bigger...315's are already flippin' HUGE. I don't know for sure though, exactly. He'll get on later today and let you know for sure.

BTW, How much bigger do you need to go?!? lol.......

Jeff

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
390's. :rolleyes:

So then I assume you're going to be pushing big enough numbers like Brian to actually need 390's? (245mm slicks will stick better than 390mm street tires.)