Launch pics from work

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Some neat pictures from work:

The Phoenix Lander Mission to Mars launched this past weekend and there is a automated camera at the pad that snaps pics. This isnt the mission im owrking on as we are set to launch on sept 25th or thereabouts.

p709658_1.jpg

p709658_2.jpg

p709658_3.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It seems to me that it would go straighter longer than what the last picture shows, but then again, I'm not a rocket scientist..........:biglaugh:

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
suprahero said:
It seems to me that it would go straighter longer than what the last picture shows, but then again, I'm not a rocket scientist..........:biglaugh:
In order to get into inital earth orbit to stage the spacecraft for spinup and first burn to set the trajectory to Mars, there is a significant angle in which the rocket turns after liftoff. But that camera lens makes it more apparent because its a super wide angle lens. Buf if you ever see a shuttle launch its the same thing.

JTGsupra7 said:
thats amazing that they can fight the pull of gravity and get into space.... and look so good doing it
You otta feel and hear what it sounds like in person. Its so loud and bright and you can feel the thrusters it overwhelms your senses and you just stare in awe.

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
yea thats def. a fisheye lens. But i know what your talkin about, i watched a launch of some satellites from my dads work. They did kinda the same thing.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
HIDPLANET said:
No good edumacashun here. I didnt graduate HS on time cuz I got arrested at school, went to a trade school which was a joke but hot lucky getting in the door at NASA.

wtf NASA?

I thought you sold HID kits. :icon_conf

j3pz

still learning
my dad was friends with a pilot that got selected to be an astronaut. we were told he was supposed to go up in the next launch but didnt see him on the list...

awesome pics. i watched the shuttle launch on tv for the first time and it was just breathtaking. wanna go see it with my own eyes now

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
oh yeah and really awesome stuff. the last pic is really cool. do you know how long that was exposed? i'm trying to imagine how long it took the rocket to go that far.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Dont know the exposure time, but it doesnt take long for the rocket to be out of view. Its a Delta II Launch Vehicle so its pretty large but not the biggest. Take off os slow, but once its up, it takes off. Id say roughly 45 seconds to 1 minute for that pic.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Yeah definitely awesome pics. What site was this at again? I assume somewhere close to San Diego, but we all know what happens when you ASSume.