Laptop help PLEASE!

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
SF wasn't very helpful, so if I could get some help, as well as technical advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Now, I'm somewhat familiar with computers, but when it comes to laptops, I'm clueless. With that being said, I'm needing a laptop for school, and I was looking at a few options, my budget is around $500 dollars. I saw this laptop at Circuit City for $479.99, it's a Toshiba Satellite A135 series, and it seems like it would be just fine for what I'm doing, which would primarily be typing papers/notes at school and the occasional music listening and internet browsing. I personally checked it out after finding it online, and it is pretty quick for the specs, and certainly for the money. Here is the link, let me know what you guys think.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...85199/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

There is also a Compaq I'm looking at as well, the specs are about the same, but different processors as well as a slightly better video card:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-presario-f572us/4505-3121_7-32473965.html?tag=prod.txt.1

I'd like some technical advice as to which one would be better and why. I plan on adding an extra 1 GB of RAM to whichever I choose to buy.

-Matt

angrydrone

I'm a real Canadian
Mar 11, 2006
Ft. Worth/College Station
I posted this in the Supraforums version of this thread but here it is again just in case you didn't see on SF:

Matt,

This notebook looks pretty good for the money. It's also from Circuit City.

(Link removed. -DT)

Good luck with your search Matt!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
angrydrone said:
I posted this in the Supraforums version of this thread but here it is again just in case you didn't see on SF:

Matt,

This notebook looks pretty good for the money. It's also from Circuit City.

(Link removed. -DT)

Good luck with your search Matt!

Chris
Chris, your link is reaking havoc with Mozilla users... If you plan to rick roll people, use a YouTube link instead... That link is causing a continuous loop forcing the user to close out all windows...

Last edited by a moderator:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the hp would serve you better its just hands down a better deal. it has a processor that i would say is twice as efficient as the other helping in every task on your computer

also the hp has a video card opposed to the toshiba not having a video card so if you wanted to watch a video or something it would make your life that much easier and handle vistas + a video much better.

you have to remember, and im sure by about 99%, that these computers will come preloaded with spyware. make sure you use a program that can get rid of these just so a few months down the road your computer WILL seem to be running ragged (and it will trust me on this)

i'd suggest spybot search and destroy. why pay to keep advertising off your computer? :p http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

and a gig of ram should be enough it seems they both have 2x512 and i honestly doubt it will allow more slots but it might. usually adding ram is no cakewalk either for laptops.. much easier with desktops.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
consider a used laptop with a tablet display. a guy i went to school with had one, he wrote all his notes on the screen, could move and organize it, even had a TI89 emulator so he didn't need to buy a $200 calculator. he bought his used off ebay for around $300

The Evil Twin_7MGE

*edit* -gte
Oct 26, 2006
NJ
What's better about acer notebooks anyway? More bang for the buck? For some reason I have this little voice in my head that steers me away from acer. If they're worth it I may check them out when my laptop ages too badly.

Oh, and definetly go with the hp. I haven't been able to find a more well rounded laptop for the money, and $150 or more rebates aren't uncommon with them.