Lapping the block?

Turbo Targa

Sep 1, 2005
I have seen this term used a few times as a method of insuring good sealing for a MHG. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do it, and the costs involved?

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Well first you find a willing cat and then some milk... :biglaugh: seriously though its the process of removing high spots on a flat surface by moving another sacrifical flat plate across a surface with an abrasive medium between them. This site has a good description http://www.surfacefinishes.com/lapping.html There are also several different methods to do this like using this http://www.lapmaster.com/lapping_polishing_plates.htm but I would reccomed calling around too machine shops in your area there is bound to be on locally that has the capability to do this. G-luck

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL if you had access to a Lapping table I think you could get a great finish that was flat but with a hand held it's never going to be flat!

Good sharp tooling with LOTS of clean coolant will give an almost mirror finish, this doesn't happen at most shops though!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A surface grinder is a bloody big machine that machine shops use to grind large hunks of metal until the top and the bottom are perfectly parallel. I'm not aware of how they work, just what they are capable of doing.

From what I understand, it's not a terribly uncommon piece of machinery.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Grim hit it on the head!

If you can find a shop with a large enough unit to do a 7M block in a single pass this would give a perfect result (again as long as the operator knows his stuff and has the machine set up correctly with good well dressed stones and clean coolant)

Next best and more common is as I posted earlier a good Mill with sharp tooling/clean coolant!

I keep going on about the sharp/clean thing but it's really important to getting a good surface finish as the slightest deviation will give a visable mark on the surface (you'd be surprised how small a mark needs to be to be seen by the naked eye)

Turbo Targa

Sep 1, 2005
The only problem with this entire idea is taking the motor out now. With my plans on using a non-MHG and keeping the motor near stock for a while I guess this process wont be needed now. Interesting discussion however.