Lambo doors on an MK3 with targa

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Just curious if anyone has done it yet and if so which kit or whose doors did you go with.

With the small parking spots and our long and wide opening doors it makes sense to go up rather than out. Before I have it done I want to get feedback from those of you that may have already done it or tried doing it as to the Pro's and Con's.

I've found these doors so far.

http://www.lambodoors4u.com/servlet/the-429/90-CONVERSION-DEGREE-DOOR/Detail
emailed the seller and was told to go with this one since it was stronger having 2 lifts per door.

http://www.lambodoors4u.com/servlet/the-430/BOLT-CONVERSION-DOOR-DOORS/Detail
cheaper but I want quality and durability

Found this one linked on Supracarparts.com so Ziggy & Mike seem to think this is the one
http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Lamb...ts/All/Diablo_90_Deg_Vertical_Door_Kit/17400/

Both the first one and the last one have two lifts per door and the last one says they hold 150 pounds each.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As the door is a stress member in a targa car, I would say NO.

Also, there is ONE good kit for our cars and it's NOT cheap.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
25561d1206630420-lambo-door-question-please-help-lambo.jpg

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Thanks supra90turbo I will.

I mean yeah lots of cars seem to have em and yes with the targa off it will cause extra stress on the frame plus it would have to close perfectly like stock in order to give the support or rigidity if ever in a collision or t-boned but if you look at Ian's pic of the yellow Lambo with a supra door and see how far out the door edge is versus the silver Honda with a Lambo door it takes a hell of a lot less room to get out of the Honda than it does the Lambo or a Supra for that matter and reduces the likelihood of damage to your door or the car next to you. And if you happen to ever park in a spot and someone parks too close so that you couldn't get in with the conventional stock door ...now you can.

Plus I have my clifford concept alarm and key fob which I would reprogram

the * button not to be a turbo timer anymore since the Haltech does that and use it as the pop the door out button.

The hatch button is for my hatch and now with stronger strut lifts from Rock Auto it may actually go up more on its on which would be nice when I need to put a couple cases of refreshment in the hatch.

The doorlock would still be the lockdoor/engage alarm and unlockdoor/disengage alarm control.

So that leaves the 4th button which is the headlight one to put the windows up and down. I figure I can unlock the car/disengage the alarm, then put the windows down with the headlight button so when I press the * button it would pop the door open and let the lifts do their work and with the windows in the door frame it will look nicer going up and coming down and not risk damage to the window. (or so my lil mind tells me) I figure I'm almost done putting the car to where I want it that I may as well add a couple finishing touches. One to make it more unique and two to make it more practical in tight parking situations which are everywhere now it seems.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Poodles;1511222 said:
As the door is a stress member in a targa car, I would say NO.

Also, there is ONE good kit for our cars and it's NOT cheap.

How bout sharing the name of that ONE good kit for our car that's NOT cheap. I may just want the mod bad enough to pay for it. lol

Thanks

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Why not save the money and park further?

I'd be more concerned about the incompetent ppl who park so close hitting your car...that's why I always aim for the farthest spot (or very open area) preferably with a curb on one side or more.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, you have to open the door before they go up. Most don't go up far enough that you wouldn't have a harder time getting in and out.

Overall, they're a waste, and like I said, on a targa car I wouldn't do it.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Over $5000 for Lambo doors from S2 the GullCuore door is sweet but not worth that kinda coin besides according to RHD Japan I would have to take them my car for them to do it so add another $5-$10k to ship my car to Japan.
It's all in the installation. If you have someone that knows what they're doing they can take a nice $800 + kit and make it work well. I figure $500 + labor so around $1300 installed for two properly functioning Supra Lambo doors that go up 90 degrees not 75. The remote control ones from Andy's are $1700 for just the doors so $2300 installed and that would be too much in my opinion but if I won the lottery then I'd fly over to Japan and return with the GullCuore ones on a new '92 JDM Turbo A Supra. LOL Just so I could have more JDM shit.:naughty:

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're made to spec and bolt in.

Also keep in mind because the doors don't open out far enough to get out easily, if the gas shocks go out you're stuck with trying to lift the door (HA HA GOOD LUCK!). Cheap kits will have cheap gas shocks...

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
$5000 sounds right for a mod like this, under 1500 and i would always worry about it messing up/breaking. these doors are very heavy.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
I think we've all had the hatch or hood shocks give out on us....quite literally in some cases lol.

I'd hate to see the damage a door close to 60 pounds would do if it came down, on someone or not it's not gonna be nice.

Haha as poodles said, good luck lifting those doors lol.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Well at 6'5" 300 lbs it would be a simple one arm dumbbell curl lift. lol But what do the S2 or GullCuore doors have if not gas shocks that eventually give out?

To pay over $5k for the parts plus $500+ shipping and import profit for whoever brings it in plus another $500+ for simple install plus unforseeable challenges you're at around $6000 +.

Mobes loves his doors that were from Andy's but the part no longer exists in the parts inventory at Andy's. You wouldn't believe all the nay sayers when he first posted. But that's human nature I guess. It's easier to piss on someone's parade than cheer them on. lol

Bottom line is you have to be happy with what you have. I didn't like sawblades so I swapped em for MK4 TT rims. Some guys love sawblades and others hate TT rims such is life.

But a 90 degree door with 300 lb lift capability sounds fine to me and there also is a 220 each or 440 lift set of struts so I may go that route.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Poodles;1511593 said:
if the gas shocks go out you're stuck with trying to lift the door (HA HA GOOD LUCK!)

But that's why he has a Targa. lol

And it all depends on how nicely they are installed. I have seen really bad Lambo doors done cheap. I have seen ones that looked like they came from the factory, and the labor on those was more than the car.
-AM3