koyo radiator repair

zdatsupra

Feb 19, 2006
florida
:(I guess I will never own a pretty radiator.
Running the edis setup with the thick trigger wheel caused me to space out the fan to clear the wheel, the first time it finally heated up and i got on the boost it scraped a circular pattern into the new rad.:3d_frown:

my fan scraped the 1 week old koyo enough to cut into one of the tubes.
does anyone repair these aluminum rads by reusing the tanks?
or do I just have a very expensive piece of alum scrap?

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
zdatsupra;1264867 said:
:(I guess I will never own a pretty radiator.
Running the edis setup with the thick trigger wheel caused me to space out the fan to clear the wheel, the first time it finally heated up and i got on the boost it scraped a circular pattern into the new rad.:3d_frown:

my fan scraped the 1 week old koyo enough to cut into one of the tubes.
does anyone repair these aluminum rads by reusing the tanks?
or do I just have a very expensive piece of alum scrap?

PM me if you didnt find a solution to your radiator situation. I may have a solution for you.

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
Just real quick. Why does this potential fix have to be a secret? This community was for sharing fixes and expertise.

zdatsupra

Feb 19, 2006
florida
He didnt offer a fix but is interested in maybe buying it.
My radiator guy has some antifreeze safe epoxy and says it will fix it, wont be pretty though.
My friend said he patched his alum radiator with the stuff and it worked...
I got a csf radiator, stock style to get me back in business.

zoonwen

1JZ Supra
Apr 27, 2005
Denton, TX
Most places will just put epoxy on it and pressure test it. Im actually gettin my koyo fixed tomorrow but this time they are going to weld leak shut.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Pyrite;1268817 said:
Just real quick. Why does this potential fix have to be a secret? This community was for sharing fixes and expertise.

Sorry for the mystery.

zdatsupra;1269072 said:
He didnt offer a fix but is interested in maybe buying it.
My radiator guy has some antifreeze safe epoxy and says it will fix it, wont be pretty though.
My friend said he patched his alum radiator with the stuff and it worked...
I got a csf radiator, stock style to get me back in business.

Patches suck and not any good for cooling system, longevity of the radiator, efficiency and flow. Plus a lot more factors. A proper fix is a weld fix, pressure test (there is a machine that does this) and a leak test too.

zoonwen;1269381 said:
Most places will just put epoxy on it and pressure test it. Im actually gettin my koyo fixed tomorrow but this time they are going to weld leak shut.

Weld is best, but you need to test it too and not for just 1.3bar.

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
I see, I agree that the weld is best. But here is a trick that works in a pinch more of an emergency really but you can just kinda reach into that bit of the radiator with some pliers and squeeze that one tube shut. Had to do this on my brothers truck once out in the woods. It's not pretty and you lose one row or two if it's real bad but it will get you home.

Now that i re read his response he says solution not fix so i guess....