Kool Story Bro<<<<<<< Very Kool...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
K folks gather round for this one...

Early this morning I was finnishing my power steering pump install so I decided to take my sup out for a ride.... The steering wheel felt stiff. unlike ever before..... With the new rack, tie rods, pump, line It felt incredible...... So I hit the road with my windows down and feeling like a complete bad@ss.... When a white 80's corvette pulled up next to me with pipes sticking out the side and sounding like a monster.... 80_corvette.jpg Looked just like that, same color..... I was hoping he would not want to run once the light turned green but my fears quickly came to life..... He took off and well, I couldnt just back down... Atleast try... So I stomped it...... And to my surpize I put 4-5-6 cars wht the crap? I keep pulling so slowed down to wait for him.... He said again, once again he took off beastly and I was late but in no time I was gone and kept pulling.... Next light we stopped and he said, thats a fast little car you have there...... I said thank you.... And also gave him props on the bautiful vette..... To those wondering my "mods"

Fresh Built Engine....
57 trim at 10-11 pounds.....
IC Piping HKS SSQV BOV
Full 3 inch Exhaust
Ported Turbo Elbow
3 Inch HKS downpipe

Not many speed mods( I'm sure I'm missing alot of stuff since Ive done many many more things to it but in a hurry writing this) but most of my time has been spent on making my car run perfect with no vacum leaks, no boost leaks, no check engine, no codes... So this should be a good example of wht a bolt on supra in good shape can do... :D....

Turbobox

Aug 17, 2011
New Jersey
Oh, I think the full exhaust and stock wheel upgrade is one of the best combos on a 7m. Considering the stock exhaust is like having a cork stuck in the tailpipe and a compressor wheel barely able to feed a 1.5L 8v 4 cylinder.

I've researched a lot on the stock turbo upgrades and I see a lot of lackluster dyno results on the web. A select few are running over 400 to the wheels at moderate boost. The 57 trim wheel will flow plenty of air for 400 rwhp performance and these low dyno numbers surely don't reflect the full performance potential. In my experience, I believe it has to do with controlling air leakage after the MAF. Any air that the MAF doesn't pick up or leaks in the piping will cause poor performance at a higher level than a MAP sensor setup. That and old engines that haven't had a cam/ignition timing check in 20 years.

The mere mention that you have controlled air leakage in your engine is what is giving you the edge on the corvette. You should get the car dyno'd and post the results. I think the 57 trim wheel is matched very well to the 3L displacement, I wish these cars would have come stock with a 46 trim or an 18g at the very least.

I have similar mods to yours but battling fuel leaks right now. I don't understand why the previous owners would swap all the turbo drivetrain parts in an NA car and leave the stock 20 year old fuel pump and filter untouched? Needless to say it has become a fiasco...

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
i love race stories and i love it even more when supra's win haha might not be a z06 but you be a corvette!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Haha thanks Avi..

Ah and turbobox, we think alike.... I have always felt like an efficient running supra with no boost leaks, no vacum leaks, no codes will outperform those with a bunch of random crap thrown in it just because and no tune on it...... When I built my engine I made sure to not skip anything. I have invested soo much in my car and I'm still not even at the "fun upgrades"... But a car that has virtually no engine problems. I have spent nearly three years taking care of the "little stuff everyone overlooks" and today was a huge payoff..... I know I'm not the fastest or even considered fast in the realm of supras these days but it sure does feel good to beat something I never thought I would beat... 3 years of cut hands, bruises, getting dirty to the point of no return, headaches, fustrations, money woes, sleepless nights have payed off...... :D..... Feels good man...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Damn, I was hoping for a good cigarette story.
kool-dfd.jpg

lol

Good story though. Those C3 corvettes are a mixed bag... a stock V8 model from 75' might only have 165hp.... or it could be a big block model from the late 60's/early 70's with up to 435hp... or anything in between. If it had side pipes it was most likely an early model with one of the higher power engines (side pipes were only a factory option on late 60's vettes, but aftermarket side pipes do exist for later cars). I've worked on a few of these; we restored two last year for customers. I absolutely hate working on them, they are a mess (from a design standpoint). I'd take a supra over a vette any day.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've ran two C3's in my time, but in different cars. Never came away impressed by them, but like Destrux said, they can be a mixed bag. Find one made with the 427 and you'll have your hands full. ;)

Either way, congrats on the kill.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
This was prob a low HP vette...... It was just not fair. It did sound amazing but other than take off it had nothing..... Then again my car is running the best it ever has and only getting better.....

Note......
(I am auto) But I dumped the old transmission and added a 1JZ auto that gave my car a very nice performace increase..... Shifts alot quicker than my old transmission and alot smoother thou I am pretty sure that the cooler I added to it has something to do with it.... Valve body upgrade coming soon.... :D....

Turbobox

Aug 17, 2011
New Jersey
Sside;1821492 said:
Haha thanks Avi..

Ah and turbobox, we think alike.... I have always felt like an efficient running supra with no boost leaks, no vacum leaks, no codes will outperform those with a bunch of random crap thrown in it just because and no tune on it...... When I built my engine I made sure to not skip anything. I have invested soo much in my car and I'm still not even at the "fun upgrades"... But a car that has virtually no engine problems. I have spent nearly three years taking care of the "little stuff everyone overlooks" and today was a huge payoff..... I know I'm not the fastest or even considered fast in the realm of supras these days but it sure does feel good to beat something I never thought I would beat... 3 years of cut hands, bruises, getting dirty to the point of no return, headaches, fustrations, money woes, sleepless nights have payed off...... :D..... Feels good man...

If only the kids I bought my car from were to do the same I wouldn't be having the problems with fuel delivery right now. They swapped all the drivetrain from a GTE into the NA car yet they left the stock tired fuel pump and 20 year old fuel filter installed. I'm currently modding my fuel system to take a filter from an RX-7 with regular 5/16 fuel hose instead of the flare tube fittings that corrode together all the time. It will make filter changes a breeze compared to the factory. I can barely get tools to fit in that tight area.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Turbobox;1822089 said:
If only the kids I bought my car from were to do the same I wouldn't be having the problems with fuel delivery right now. They swapped all the drivetrain from a GTE into the NA car yet they left the stock tired fuel pump and 20 year old fuel filter installed. I'm currently modding my fuel system to take a filter from an RX-7 with regular 5/16 fuel hose instead of the flare tube fittings that corrode together all the time. It will make filter changes a breeze compared to the factory. I can barely get tools to fit in that tight area.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/content.php?121-The-great-fuel-filter-myth

;)

Turbobox

Aug 17, 2011
New Jersey
I read that article... still, after swapping all the stuff one might just change it for preventative maintenance. Besides, I had to change it after experiencing a huge pressure drop on my gauge at anything over 4k RPM. It made me cry.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
The picture you are showing it a 1980 Corvette. Three engines were available that year. LG4 305 cranking out 180hp. L48 350 pumping out 190hp. L82 350 boasting 230hp.
1974 was the last year of the 454 big block.

I was a "Cool Starry Bra" nontheless.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Sorry I dont always bring a camera along so that people will believe me... I was not looking for a run/race... Thats why its a story, not a Kool Vid thread..... Next time I'll bring my dslr with me and rent some equipment so that you can witness every single race from here on out in full 1080 P and 5.1 audio..... Anyways, dont see why I would make up such story... Or is it sooo crazy that I beat anything from 180 hp vette to a 230 hp vette.....

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Nice kill man... Keep the Supra healthy and clean,and it will give you more wins!
Aaaa,and please loose the auto and go manual LOL.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Moy;1823389 said:
cool story bro. no vid no care ;)

anybody can make up and tell a story, vids are the only real evidence.
Oh come on Moy, give the guy some slack haha... not like he's saying he ripped a C6 a new one here. :)

Sside;1823887 said:
Sorry I dont always bring a camera along so that people will believe me... I was not looking for a run/race... Thats why its a story, not a Kool Vid thread..... Next time I'll bring my dslr with me and rent some equipment so that you can witness every single race from here on out in full 1080 P and 5.1 audio..... Anyways, dont see why I would make up such story... Or is it sooo crazy that I beat anything from 180 hp vette to a 230 hp vette.....
That said, all that equipment and you're not even bothering with a full production crew? Amateur... :p :rofl:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
te72;1824606 said:
Oh come on Moy, give the guy some slack haha... not like he's saying he ripped a C6 a new one here. :)

That said, all that equipment and you're not even bothering with a full production crew? Amateur... :p :rofl:

Lol well lets see if we can get Peter Jackson to come out and direct, also I think 3D is a must for Moy to trully enjoy this production. I will look into it very soon and see if I can strike a deal.....

^^^
Also.... At first I was pretty impressed, I didnt know much about the vette other than the fact that it sounded like a monster on side pipes and the guy was trying to punk me..... After talking to a couple of people it turns out it was a good race, nothing too special unless the guy had something crazy done to it but I am a first hand witness that he did not because it really did have nothing on the sup..... I just think its a great story for those who do drive their mk3's everyday and work hard on the car because they trully love it and its not all about HP numbers.... My goal was always a fun everyday car that wont be an easy pushover and yeah I am aware that there are tons of faster cars out there but its nice to know that these things can put up a good run when healthy and a couple of mods are added... :D...

Next time I come across someone trying something similar Ill go ahead and do my best to record it. Although I personally think videos are awesome but in their 3 megapixel glory filled with high gusts of wind that almost tear apart the pc speakers when on youtube is a lil played out. :D......

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just be careful about recording things, sometimes that can be used against you. ;)

Track videos on the other hand, perfectly ok. You're right though, our cars when running properly aren't slouches. I still think there's a bit more power to be had from mine without anything more than piping and heat alleviation, and she runs pretty good in my eyes. In fact, I've only lost to FOUR people:

-A buddy's 7m car that by all accounts is at least a 500whp car... when everything works right.
-An Acura TL with a 67mm turbo of some sort. That was fun, I think he had gear-based boost level tuning on his AEM, that thing KILLED me once he got into 3rd...
-A Mk4 at LVMS at SILV 2010. Little did I know, I signed up for the big-boys bracket. I actually outran him, BUT... I was sleeping at the light. Not used to pro-style red-all yellow-green trees, I thought it was a red-yellow-yellow-yellow-green light...
-A Cavalier. Yes, you heard me right, a Chevy Cavalier. Guy pulls up, acting like a straight up hardass thug, and trys to get me to race him. I was so busy laughing I forgot to downshift. :rofl:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
te72;1824751 said:
-A Cavalier. Yes, you heard me right, a Chevy Cavalier. Guy pulls up, acting like a straight up hardass thug, and trys to get me to race him. I was so busy laughing I forgot to downshift. :rofl:

LMAO guy probably thinks his car is amazing now Brad