Knocking...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Hey I'm new and have looked through the list to find questions on my specific issue but haven't seen one. I have an 89 non turbo that has a knock that sounds like it's in the head. 190k miles. No knock at idle, just when you give it the gas. My question is could it be the lifters or what? I just don't believe it's in the lower half of the engine. Can the lifters be adjusted? I just got this car to play with after selling my 85 Celica GT-S so I am not yet familiar with the MkIII's and would like some advice before taking it apart. Thanks in advance. :1zhelp:

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
If you do a quick serch for the TSRM it might have some tips for you as far as if there is any adjustment of the lifters. I personally don't know but you can try that until some one more knowledgeable comes along.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a Mechanic's Stethoscope. If they don't know what you're talking about, go to a different store.

Check around with the stethoscope to see exactly where the noise is coming from.

If you determine that it's not coming from the head, rather the bottom end somewhere, pull an injector clip one at a time while the vehicle is running. You will find which bearing is bad by unloading the cylinder while it's running.

Oper8or

Apr 21, 2005
Greenback, TN.
supra90turbo said:
Go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a Mechanic's Stethoscope. If they don't know what you're talking about, go to a different store.

Check around with the stethoscope to see exactly where the noise is coming from.

If you determine that it's not coming from the head, rather the bottom end somewhere, pull an injector clip one at a time while the vehicle is running. You will find which bearing is bad by unloading the cylinder while it's running.
Dang. That is good advice. Never tried that.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
yep, it might just be rod knock.

do you have a good set of the TSRM? if not, that should be your first purchase. they come in handy a WHOLE lot.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
da89soup said:
Where does the knock come on at 2k???? Its probibly got the rod Knock!!!! Sorry man

I checked the codes and they are TPS signal and knock sensor signal. I then went by my trusted mechanics shop and it's a rod knocking.:nono:

Oh well, I'll just get a JDM somewhere I guess. Would like a GTE but that is $$$$. Anybody want to donate?

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
^^^ Sorry man but sounded like the knock!!!! The smartest move would be to turbo however its lots of $$$$. You have electronics, exhaust, lsd, all the tubing, IC, ect.....And why would you want to do the swap and still be stock. This is how I would approach it!!! Buy yourself a ge jdm and put it in. There are a number of post here about preping you new jdm for transplant. (busy at work or I would find one for you)

Keep your old GE!!! As time goes on and you get some money find a wrecked or dead turbo... (preferably your year) From that car take what you need for the swap and sell off everything else to get your money back for what you payed for the car. Decide on HP goals!!! Because now you have two block options. And if your not a turbo know it all, taking that spare car apart will answer lots of questions.... This is my plan!!!!!!

Good luck with everything!!!!
Soup