knock sensor????

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
Is that's why my speedometer doesn't work due to a bad knock sensor. So once the knock sensor is fixed, that the speedometer will work again? That would be great.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
supra_89_vang;1102414 said:
Is that's why my speedometer doesn't work due to a bad knock sensor. So once the knock sensor is fixed, that the speedometer will work again? That would be great.

wtf??? No man, No.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
supra_89_vang;1102889 said:
My fault, I miss read the post before about the speedometer.

Heh, he's just as far off :)

I was watching office space so that line was in my head.

If you speedo doesn't work chances are its the short section that comes off the tranny. Pretty cheap fix and really easy.

Gunnar

Jul 11, 2008
Belgium
www.chiptuners.org
Such common problems, knock sensors, the wiring and speedo cables.

Get a set of knock sensors off ebay, use a 27mm LONG socket to remove the old one and put the new one back.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'm having difficulty accessing the TSRM online, too.

That being said, I don't think you can test the KS's unless you have an o-scope.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
shaeff;1102970 said:
I'm having difficulty accessing the TSRM online, too.

That being said, I don't think you can test the KS's unless you have an o-scope.
I can feel my knock sensor, i think it's on the left side,can i just pull it out because i fear that it will fall down to the oil pan or jam something up.Whats the easiest way to get that dam sensor out?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supraman508;1104948 said:
I can feel my knock sensor, i think it's on the left side,can i just pull it out because i fear that it will fall down to the oil pan or jam something up.Whats the easiest way to get that dam sensor out?
It's on the drivers side under the intake manifold. They screw in, if I remember right they have a release on the connector you have to push on to release the wire.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ Yep, nothing internal. They screw into a threaded boss on the block, they don't actually go IN the motor. If it falls out, it'll likely hit you in the head, assuming you're under the car. ;)

supramang

Jun 14, 2008
Farmington
Hey i was reading about how the knock sensor issue will throw a code 52 and retard timing and the question came to mind: how is it gonna retard the timing on a distributed engine?? I know it will do it on the turbo model (experience) but how on the N/A?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The spark is still controlled via the ECU. The means of delivery is the difference. The ECU reads the cam position (and several other things) decides what advance should be run and then signals the igniter sooner.

supramang

Jun 14, 2008
Farmington
CRE;1112734 said:
The spark is still controlled via the ECU. The means of delivery is the difference. The ECU reads the cam position (and several other things) decides what advance should be run and then signals the igniter sooner.

K so what your saying here is that the ignitor on the ge model can control the timing, although it has a distributor?? I was sure this only could work with the coil pack system....... due to the fact that you can change the timing yourself with the distributor>> please elaborate :) and where is the cam position sensor on the ge??

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The distributor only controls where the spark goes... The distributor gets it's spark from the coil which gets it's signal from the ignitor. The ignitor is controlled by the ECU. This isn't a magneto on a lawnmower engine.

The CPS is built into the distributor.

supramang

Jun 14, 2008
Farmington
alright i see i see!! Yeah i never really understood alot of the timing stuff. I only really had to deal with it when i did the head gasket in my n/a.

smoke72

Aug 3, 2008
North Carolina
I just found out that the knock sensor for a 1993 Camry V6 is the same part number thru NAPA auto parts. I called around to some local junk yards and found one for fifteen dollars,so I got all 3 they had.