Knock Sensor Rewire - I'm confused! Almost done

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have been following Boostedsupra's (Love his car) write up on rewiring the knock sensor wires. The link: http://www.supramania.com/forums/content.php?135-Knock-Sensor-Rewire-Write-up-(code-52)

My confusion comes at step 13. It reads" Strip enough of the KS wire so you can splice it onto the coax cable. You can use barrel splicers from RadioShack and crimp them together."

Sentence one says strip it and splice. Sentence 2 says "barrel splicers". My limited wiring knowledge tells me that a barrel connector requires you to cut it and but a wire in each end. The one's shown in his picture look to be the cut it kind. Is there another type that I know nothing about? I want to complete this harness install today! Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sentence 1 says strip the insulation back on the ecu side wire so you have access to the center conductor wire.

Sentence 2 says to use a butt splice connector. He mentions two kinds, but they all work the same. You stick the center conductor from the ecu side into one end of the barrel, and the center conductor from the new coax into the other end of the barrel. Then crimp or solder, depending on your preference.

Finally, heatshrink the barrel so it doesn't short to anything.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification. My Coax is complete with ground wire in the bay except I haven't connected at the ECU. Now, to figure out which wire is which. My test leads do not fit into the wiring connector. I'll have to pull the wires out to test.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
ashiharausa;1954156 said:
How many ks does a 7 mge has?

DUDE, you have asked this questions three or four times in all different threads over the past few days!!! All of them have been answered!

THE 7MGE HAS 1, ONE, UNO, 1 KNOCK SENSOR!!!!!

Stop asking the same question in different threads!

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
DeMoN2318;1954311 said:
DUDE, you have asked this questions three or four times in all different threads over the past few days!!! All of them have been answered!

THE 7MGE HAS 1, ONE, UNO, 1 KNOCK SENSOR!!!!!

Stop asking the same question in different threads!

I am starting to wonder if he actually looked at the links I posted for him. :\

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
The ECU is located above the Glove box. You have to drop the box, and remove the liner to get to it. The knock sensor wires are the only two clear wires going into the ECU. I think they are in the middle plug going into the ECU, but I may be wrong