Knock Sensor Questions???

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
One of my knock sensor broke off (sensor closes to crank pulley).

Is it ok to run on one knock sensor until second one is replaced?

Can I use non-turbo knock sensors on turbo engine?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
supra_89_vang;1055086 said:
One of my knock sensor broke off (sensor closes to crank pulley).

Is it ok to run on one knock sensor until second one is replaced?

No, its not okay. Your car will go into limp mode and things will suck.

JDMDrift

Banned
Jun 15, 2008
Michigan
like stated above you need to get that fixed, just buy a new one, or a good used one I have 2 that have 15,000 miles on them need one let me know.

aadsen

Philly Supras
Aug 4, 2005
Allentown
supra_89_vang;1055086 said:

A knock sensor is a knock sensor. It doesnt matter if its a turbo or not, just where they are located on the block.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

SephyraTigre

Jun 9, 2008
Spokane
Justin;1055110 said:
No, its not okay. Your car will go into limp mode and things will suck.

My 7m-gte has a knock sensor (the one in front) disconnected and it does not seem limp?.. How drastic is the change from normal driving with it connected? This is something I noticed after I bought the car and brought it home. It seems to drive just fine at all times, so I am curious as to how drastic the change is with it properly connected.. Would the check engine light be on? It isn't if it should be and the initial diagnostic of all of the dash lights works every time I start the car. :1zhelp:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ Yes, you should notice a huge difference in power and overall smoothness of the motor under boost. I'd pull the codes, use the link in my sig.

Hopefully, someone didn't rig it to work on one knock sensor. :(

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Check the classified section. There are always people parting out cars, etc... Go to any junkyard and pull them off a Toyota from the same era, many are the same. ;)

SephyraTigre

Jun 9, 2008
Spokane
hmmm... I have the suspicion that it may have been rigged to run on one sensor. It drives fine, but I would think that to be a symptom of another problem if it had to be bypassed. How difficult is it to bypass the front sensor? What kind of damage can be done?? I will take a pic of the loose connector just to be sure. I was at a different forum and they didn't help much so I think I may have found my new home here. :D

SephyraTigre

Jun 9, 2008
Spokane
And now I see the danger. That sensor is very important, and possible engine damage may occur from driving it with out that single sensor. Increased possibility of detonation. Possible previous issues are also very well possible... I guess I am going to have to keep reading later.. Tireded...