Knock Sensor Code 52?

mostdef

Nov 30, 2010
California
I have a code 52 for the knock sensor circuit open. My cars wiring has seen better days and the cel isn't on from the car idling only after reving over about 2.5k. Could it just need a tune up? What are the chances that the knock sensor has went bad? What are the chances it is right and I do have a knock, I think I would hear it though.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
99.9% its the wiring. There have been tons of people that jave had issues with the wiring going bad. You need to re-wire with a shielded wire. There are tons of write ups about exactly how to do it. Try SM search first, then google.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mostdef;1645973 said:
I have a code 52 for the knock sensor circuit open. My cars wiring has seen better days and the cel isn't on from the car idling only after reving over about 2.5k. Could it just need a tune up? What are the chances that the knock sensor has went bad? What are the chances it is right and I do have a knock, I think I would hear it though.

A tune up will do nothing to fix code 52. Most commonly, as OfnaRcR4 stated already, it's the wiring that's to blame. If the wiring checks out (check continuity of the signal wires to ground, should be none) then one or both of your knock sensors are bad. You can test them with an oscilloscope if you have one. It's most common for the rear sensor to fail because it's closest to the starter and more likely to get bumped if someone works in that area. Test the wiring FIRST.

Here's a great guide for rewiring:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/content.php?135-Knock-Sensor-Rewire-Write-up-(code-52)

Lastly, code 52 is caused by an electrical problem, not because you have rod knock.