KNOCK? is it real

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
well i was driving yesterday and noticed a knocking or quick tapping right before boost at around 2-3 thousand rpms. the tapping/knocking stops after that and the car feels sound. i wasnt driving hard or anything of that nature and dont ever boost over 4 grand anyways due to boost leak and lack of mods, does anyone have any advice they could lend me, im a little worried and dont know what i need to check.

sorry for the noobish post

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
its snowing pretty bad and my other project car is taking up space in the garage but when i can get a chance ill check the crank pully bolt hopefully that is what is making the knock.

sorry mods didnt see the thread in genearl topics-- delete if you want

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Start it up and spike the throttle so that it hits about 3000 rpm and then drops back to idle. Listen carefully for tapping as the RPMs move from increasing to decreasing. If it knocks there, chances are you have rod knock. :(

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
yea thats exactly where it knocks, i never hot rodded the motor,never boosted past 4 grand because i wanted to have proper fuel equipment. i really love yhis car but have no money got i hope it fixible. i got a loan on the car so weather it runs or not i have to pay for it, i really really hope its not the motor, i just dont know what id do because i refise to sell the car.. sorry for the rant

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
while you may have never "hot rodded" or whatever, did you check the oil recently? what about the previous owner? unfortunately, your description fits that of the std. oil-starved M rod knock....