kkk k27 dead at 1500 miles

montego6500

Apr 25, 2007
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
ok so yesterday my k27 died. at about 18 psi it just self destructed. i kinda curious why it happened at only 1500 miles or less. i did have issues with intercooler pipes popping off for a while, could that have caused it early death. it was just rebuilt and i had a bigger wheel put in but not that big to throw it out of balance. it was built at majestic in texas. does anybody know if they have some kind of warrwnty or anything?

thank dan

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i had a very bad experience with majestic turbo here in DFW. they rebuild my sp61gt and used 1 size under what was needed on the CHRA instead of 1 size over (CHRA had some minor scoring according to them, they are the ones that did all the machine work) and it failed in under 200 miles of very low boost (1 bar or less). They took my spare turbo in and said they would rebuild that one and it started smoking as soon as it was put on the car. I got my money back and sent the 2 bad turbos to Jeff to rebuild and have been boosting happily ever since!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yea its Jeff @ MDC. John and he do awesome work (not sure if they are still around though) i know there are 2 majestic turbos, the one that rebuilt mine wasnt good and the other one i havent heard much about that was good either. spoke with mike there i think.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I also had a bad experience with Majestic. I sent them a used CT26 that i had bought to rebuild. I scribed both housing with a special mark to identify it before I sent it to them. and they told me that one was completely unusable. I sent them my good CT26 that was running on my car to them. They rebuild it, and guess which turbo they sent me back... the first one I marked. So not only the first core was good, they kept my second core. Can't really prove it so nothing was said about that shadyness. When they did my CT26 with a garrett 50 trim wheel, it only lasted 2 days before the shaft snapped. I sent it back under their warranty and they blamed the failure on me. They confirmed that the thrust bearing looked fine and didn't starve of oil, but it "seemed" like something soft got caught up in the compressor wheel... like a shop rag. Told me I was going to have to pay for another rebuild at regular cost. Initially I spoke with Kevin Draper (the owner i believe), he passed me off to one of his techs. Not satisfied with what the tech had to say I wanted to speak to the owner (Kevin). He completely avoided me for over a month and a half. I finally had my credit card company reverse the charges on the initial rebuild. I was going to cut my losses and move on. Low and behold, they call me back to try to make it right. I ended up paying just over a hundred dollars for one of their custom compressor wheels to be installed in it, and they sent it back to me. That one lasted a little over three years before dying, but that was long enough cause it was my DD and I beat on it alot. They just didn't want to stand behind their work... period. I will not use them again, or recommend them to anyone either. STAY FAR AWAY FROM MAJESTIC TURBO OF DALLAS, TX.!!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
do you HONESTLY want to go through ebay for a turbo?

do it right the first time, get a warranty with it, and be DONE with it.

and in case you havent done this yet, i would change the oil and filter due to the fact you just blew up that kkk turbo...

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
montego6500;1119397 said:
ya i know ebay turbos blow. i really want a sp67 and no i havent changed oil yet but car is parked till i get a new turbo.

montego6500;1119121 said:
ya i think thats the right choice. to stay away. lookin at sp67 but not quite sure were im gonna find a grand right now

Dan, maybe if you didn't take a day off work on an already short week that would help you to find that extra grand you need....:3d_frown: lol
It really doesn't matter where one buys a turbo, as long as it's a reputable brand and from a reputable seller. However we are close enough to Sound Performance that it just makes it a pretty damn good decision! That Turbonetics is still alledgedly a Turbonetics, but I've heard enough about them failing too....anyone else have any Turbonetics input?

montego6500

Apr 25, 2007
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
DL.;1121969 said:
Dan, maybe if you didn't take a day off work on an already short week that would help you to find that extra grand you need....:3d_frown: lol
It really doesn't matter where one buys a turbo, as long as it's a reputable brand and from a reputable seller. However we are close enough to Sound Performance that it just makes it a pretty damn good decision! That Turbonetics is still alledgedly a Turbonetics, but I've heard enough about them failing too....anyone else have any Turbonetics input?

i agree with you but my sons first day of school is more important to me than a turbo.

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
montego6500;1122004 said:
i agree with you but my sons first day of school is more important to me than a turbo.

Well I would sure hope so!
Obviously I was teasing you, but too bad you didn't even get to take him or pick him up anyway!

Last edited: