Kendall 75W-90 full synthetic gear oil

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I have 5 gallons of this stuff in my shop for the buses I work on. the only fluid I haven't changed yet is the rear end gear oil. I searched and haven't found a direct answer about using kendall 75w 90.

so would this be a decent oil to use? I heard good things about it on other applications but heard nothing about it on a supra.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I assume you are talking about Kendall Elite Full Synthetic Gear Lubricant (75W-90). If that's the case, it would be great to use in an LSD or manual tranny (W-58 and R-154)...it does not contain friction modifiers, so you'll have to get an additive for the LSD (start with 1/2 ounce and adjust from there). IMO, Red Line MT-90 is still the best for a manual tranny though, but you can't argue with "free" ;)

The Kendall name was bought by Conoco Phillips several years ago. The Kendall oil you see today is basically the same as 76, TropArtic, Conoco, Motorcraft etc. They are all Conoco Phillips oils with similar specs and are very good oils. The Kendall Bradford, PA Refinery was purchased by American Refinery Corp where they now make Brad Penn and Gulf oils.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I agree with Redline MT 90 in my R154. From other threads I read and posted in I switched over to that and feel a great improvement. At my shop I use the Kendall 75w 90 as hub oil. So, I figured hell its gotta be great for my LSD.

Now on changing the gear oil over to Kendall, you said I would need an additive. what would you suggest? I'm used to just pumping gear oil in and calling it done so I'm not familiar with additives.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Since Conoco Phillips makes Motorcraft oil, I'd head down to the Ford dealer and buy their friction modifier for an LSD. Essentially the Kendall *is* Ford gear/differential oil...the same stuff guys have been running in Supra LSD's for years now ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah, I can see that. Keep in mind there's only a 1/2 dozen or so refiners in the US...look at it like this, you're using Conoco Phillips gear oil. The rest of the names are just marketing handles, including Kendall...Ford too, it's really Conoco Phillips. I'd bet the Ford friction modifier is identical to the Kendall additive as well ;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
true didn't look at it that way. well cool thank you, I'm curious to see what difference it will make after changing the fluid.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
jdub;952746 said:
Since Conoco Phillips makes Motorcraft oil, I'd head down to the Ford dealer and buy their friction modifier for an LSD. Essentially the Kendall *is* Ford gear/differential oil...the same stuff guys have been running in Supra LSD's for years now ;)

I was wondering about the "Motorcraft" labeling on the Ford gear oil so that makes sense now. Great info again.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
changing the fluid hopefully tonight... can't wait for the wonderful smell of old ass when I drain it. the ford additive was fairly cheap.

TURBOITUP

Aug 31, 2006
TORONTO(CANADA)
I Just called the Ford Dealership and was confused because they offer two types of the 75w-90 oil. one of them being regular and the other synthetic. So I was wondering which one do you recommend.

Thank You

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Either will work...you want to check the syn version to see if it includes friction modifiers in the formula, I know the dino version does not. If your LSD has a lot of miles on it, I would go with the dino version.

TURBOITUP

Aug 31, 2006
TORONTO(CANADA)
jdub;968274 said:
Either will work...you want to check the syn version to see if it includes friction modifiers in the formula, I know the dino version does not. If your LSD has a lot of miles on it, I would go with the dino version.

Thank you for the reply. The guy at ford said the synthetic one does not have the friction modifiers. and my lsd does have alot of miles on it so i guess when you mean the dino version. you mean the non synthetic one rite.

Thanks

TURBOITUP

Aug 31, 2006
TORONTO(CANADA)
When I went to pick up the Oil from ford the guy at the counter said that they do not have 75w90 instead 80w90 and 75w140(synthetic). so i was not sure if 80w90 was good to use.

Thank You for all you help.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
changing the diff oil right now, drain plug was covered in shit... fluid that came out was brownish orange. so yeah plan on flushing it a few times.

I think the guy before me *first owner* never changed it.

but good thing about this is its only a quart or so to fill it and I got 5 gallons of the stuff.