jza70 stalled, and will not start.

Dean12

Jul 5, 2009
Abbotsford
Hey guys, ive had my jza70 for over a year now, never had any major problems with it untill last week.

I had just parked the car and it was on turbo timer idleing, about 2 minutes in it started to run rough and all the sudden stalled. I didnt think too much of it untill i went to start it, and it didn't.

When it cranks, it will stutter a small amount like it is trying to fire but will never catch and continue idleing. so i replaced my fuel pump, now sometimes it will catch and idle like a complete tool (ie: sounds like its running on 3 cylinders) the accelerator kills it and it just eventually dies aswell.

Is it possible that its my fuel filter?
I have spark aswell.

Cliffs: Car dies while idleing, will not start, replace fuel pump, will not start normally and just dies.

any help much appreciated.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Filter is cheap and if you have not changed it in some time is a good idea to change.

I would make sure first that the turbo timer has not got a short or causing the problems.

I would also look at your codes and see if you have any. Make sure your MAP sensor is working as well as the coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

If all of that checks out look at the ECU and see if any caps are burned out.

Jeremy

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
I ran into the same problem last week. Ran like a dream, then overnight I went to start it and It just ran like Crap.

Really rough idle, sounds like its mis-firing, Runs REALLY RICH... Dies on its own on idle, Cant get it to rev past 2k, even getting it to 2k takes some effort.

I pulled open the ECU and found a leaky cap. Replaced 4/5 caps and still runs bad, cant find the 47uF cap anywhere local.

I would check for cracked coil packs and its connections,

make sure your spark plugs are gapped correctly and not fouled out.

Test your TPS, make sure its getting 5V to the Blue/black wire, same with your MAP sensor.

If you have a walbro make sure you run 12V constant, and rewire with a relay.

I tried a bunch of things, but today I was messing with the Water temp sensor and I got it to rev past 2k to about 4 then it would go back to doing what it was doing.

My next step is to replace the water temp sensor to the ECU.

Good Luck...

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Caps were replaced, but still no good. I tried my ECU today on another car and It IS DEAD... Trying a new ECU TMRW!!!

my IGSwitch wire was disconnected so I'm guessing it ran for a while then finally fried the ECU.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
jnianekeo;1361852 said:
Caps were replaced, but still no good. I tried my ECU today on another car and It IS DEAD... Trying a new ECU TMRW!!!

my IGSwitch wire was disconnected so I'm guessing it ran for a while then finally fried the ECU.

I believe that 10secdream was responding to the OP. Thats cool you have yours figured out but the OP has not so we are still making suggestions to him.

When I had my 1jz and stock ECU I went though 2 ECU's, back then it was not a common or known thing to change the caps.

OP good luck finding your problem, I would open the ECU and look for leaking caps first.

Jeremy

Bock

CNDBOOST
Jun 7, 2008
Ottawa
I had the same problem , after lots of reading I was convinced that it was the ECU (caps), luckly enough a fuel filter solved all my worries !
Good luck

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Bock;1361915 said:
I had the same problem , after lots of reading I was convinced that it was the ECU (caps), luckly enough a fuel filter solved all my worries !
Good luck

Yes Fuel filter should be a maintenance item just like the oil filter. The older these cars get the more chance they have of getting rusty tanks and clogged filters.

For the $20 they cost and the 20min to change then its a no brainier.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Turbo Drifter;1362011 said:
Yes Fuel filter should be a maintenance item just like the oil filter. The older these cars get the more chance they have of getting rusty tanks and clogged filters.

For the $20 they cost and the 20min to change then its a no brainier.

While I don't disagree that it's easy and cheap to replace, it's also probably unnecessary:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101090

I concur with the author of that article. I've personally owned 15 of these cars since 1990. I've owned a Supra performance shop and have worked on hundreds of customer cars. I've professionally raced Supra's. I've been running this site for years. Back when you used to be able to send your questions to questions@supras.com I was the guy who answered those emails.

I've NEVER seen a clogged Supra fuel filter. Never.

Dean12

Jul 5, 2009
Abbotsford
Hey guys, its been a while but the car is still a no go.
It did start today, and ran and idled for about 6 minutes or so, then just stopped running and hasnt started again since.

It likes to start after it has been sitting for a period of time, then it just dies after about 6 mins.

New fuel pump,
new fuel filter.
No blown ecu caps

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Fuel pressure gauge?

You need one - diagnose if you're losing fuel pressure, you need to narrow down to if this is an electronic issue.