JZA70 return to the road and onwards to reliable performance

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Yeah pretty sure that I just lucked out on the struts. I got a quote previously and they were moving them by air using Fedex.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Unpacked another box today.

Some windscreen washer nozzles from a Camry / Landcruiser et. al. which I am told work well.

p2059553_1.jpg

Heater resistor block. I repaired this on my previous car, but a new one wasn't too expensive.

p2059553_2.jpg

New front grills. So damn shiny!

p2059553_3.jpg

This I didn't need, but the one on my car was messed up... so...

p2059553_4.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
HKS_TRD;2059647 said:
This build is getting out of control, me like!

It is getting the better of me slightly, but onwards and upwards :)

From the onset I've been clear that my goals for this car were not to compromise comfort or reliability of a street vehicle. Thought I would share a little of how I plan to get there.

Comfort sans squeaks and rattles - OEM suspension where available. I'll be running poly bushings but hopefully that does not take the NVH up too high.

p2059671_1.jpg

Reliable performance? New oil pump seemed like a good start for engine health.

p2059671_2.jpg

Does anyone have experience with a direct retrofit actuator for CT12A turbos?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Not a fan of the Ohlins? I have seen a few for sale.

Have not really posted about the turbo setup yet, but few quick tests so far suggest that control issues are in my future if I do not replace the actuators.

p2059766_1.jpg

p2059766_2.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Turbo details are Garrett GT2860RS in the factory CT12A housings.

All credit to Hybrid and ATS for creation of the turbos. Rest assured they will be used to potential.

Others have run similar setups since these were built, with some development opportunities identified along the way. With this in mind, I will be putting my own stamp on things before bolting them on.

I invested some time to understand wastegate and actuator options. Developed some testing to benchmark the factory units.

p2060163_1.jpg

p2060163_2.jpg

We had a public holiday on Monday, with some brilliant weather. Spent that outside keeping rust at bay.

p2060163_3.jpg

New hydraulic water pump also arrived. Most of the parts have arrived now, should start to see some real progress soon.

p2060163_4.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Still chipping away at progress here. I couldn't bring myself to spend $350 AUD on an accessory belt tensioner, so decided to investigate the spare Hybrid was kind enough to send me. Pulled the thing apart and found the only wearing part is a bearing. Like all standard bearings it had part number on it, and $6.38 AUD got me a FAG 6203 RSR which is the same as what was in there.

p2060496_1.jpg

Parts are still rolling in.

The wiring on my spare hanger had broken down, others had indicated similar. I plan to have this car for a long time, so opted for the safe approach.

Waiting on a bunch of hoses and engine internals, then things can really start to move :)

p2060496_2.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
A huge box of hoses and assorted stuff arrived. Had a bit of a fail with vacuum line. Does anyone know the proper way to order this by the metre? I appear to have done it the expensive incorrect way...

p2060809_1.jpg

Drop in replacement injectors arrived. 650 cc.

p2060809_2.jpg

I will have to be careful not to get them mixed up with the stock items :)

p2060809_3.jpg

Getting the garage ready. I put everything on wheels a while ago, which is paying off now.

p2060809_4.jpg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I couldn't find the correct size locally here for vacuum line years ago when I replaced mine. Of all the places I looked the Nissan dealer was the only place that had it and the guy said he hadn't sold any in years and gave me a bunch for free haha

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
HKS_TRD;2060810 said:
Where did you get the part number from for the vacuum line?
I anticipate a local Toyota dealer was zero help with this?

lol.. well I got it from internet Toyota. I gave up on Australia Toyota a long time ago. I feel like these is some subtle detail in the Japanese bit which I am missing :)

p2060896_1.png

jugodegolf;2060812 said:
Enjoying this build. Great attention to detail.

Thanks at lot. I don't know you, but your red car is actually one of the builds I have saved as inspiration and motivation. I remember reading as you were fixing it up, the quality at the end really blew my mind. If you can get yours to that standard, I'm sure I can have a go at half decent.

Hybrid;2060853 said:
that is pretty funny what they did with the vac hose. I can only imagine the Japanese person on the other end going "oh well if that is what they want who am I to question" haha.

Well.. yeah.. it is funny in hindsight.

Silver MK3;2060859 said:
I couldn't find the correct size locally here for vacuum line years ago when I replaced mine. Of all the places I looked the Nissan dealer was the only place that had it and the guy said he hadn't sold any in years and gave me a bunch for free haha

Cheers I will go that option if I can't crack the Toyota code.

Happy birthday 1JZ...

p2060896_2.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Still waiting on the engine internals to arrive.

Good news is that after an excruciating wait, the last part for fuel tank arrived. Tank itself is used, but it has been cleaned, externally coated, and everything in it will be brand new.

p2061697_1.jpg

Using the time to distract myself with other things.

While the engine is out and AC system apart, I would like to reseal my AC compressor. A chance to learn something new plus I then know it has been done right.

The seals I want to use are HNBR. Unfortunately these are not available in Australia, nor can I find an online or ebay seller who will ship them here.

Is someone able to help me out by buying and sending them over? I would like to get 2 sets. Happy to paypal in advance plus some beer money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippondenso...sket-Shaft-Seal-Kit-A-C-ND-Denso/151419470942

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I don't mind getting it for you, I would need money in advance though. So long as you can trust me. I also recommend a seal protector/installer so you don't damage the shaft seal upon install.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Not a problem! I've resealed a few of these compressors now. Just make sure you use AC Mineral Oil on the seals for lube.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Yes orings dont like to be dry, I will make sure to do that.

Unsure about replacing the 2 x case bearings. From exploded view, they appear to be running in oil. I am tempted to leave them alone and just do the seals and clutch bearing. Is this ill advised?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
As long as the compressor never ran low on oil you should be fine not replacing those. Ive never gone that far into it, I just end up replacing the seals.