JZA70-MA70 Wiring Trouble

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Hey everyone,

So, I started wiring the M plugs onto the JZA70 wiring harness I have and I ran into a little trouble.

Basically I was given the plugs I needed by someone who bought my engine wiring harness for my 7MGE, looks like the only plug that he gave me that I can figure out that belongs is the B1 plug. I uploaded the diagram that pertain to this set of wiring I was doing so you can follow along if you're not familiar with it already.

The reason I started with IH1 is because as you can see, most of the wires go to the one known correct plug I have, B1.

Pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 14 from IH1 all go to B1

Pins 1 through 7 from the list went well.

The problem started when pin 9 which is supposed to be a thin B-O (Black with orange stripe) wire is a gray wire. You can see this in the two pictures below. So, I went with it and attached the gray wire from the harness (IH1) to the thin B-O from the B1 plug, pin 16.

Pin 10, from IH1 (JZA70 Harness) is supposed to be B-W (Black with white stripe) but from the harness, again, there is no black and white. It's supposed to be a thick black and white. So, looking at pin 10 on the plug I see there is a thick just Black wire there, so I used that and connected it to pin 17 on the B1 plug.

Pin 11, L-R (Blue with red stripe), no problem.

So far, by guessing things are unsure with those two wires but aren't so bad as I can at least pair them.

This biggest problem is exactly that, the last pin for IH1 (14), supposed to be a thick B-O wire (thicker black wire with orange stripe), but there is no pin 14. There are supposed to be three wires going vertically up the middle (5, 10, and 14) but there is no 14.

So now I'm not sure what to do about that either. If anyone could help me figure out what to do about pin 14 (IH1) that is supposed to go to pin 17 (B1) and if the other two wires from above are correct, I'd appreciate it as I've just started the wiring.

I was thinking it was going to be straightforward, by the diagrams, and it started so but this was unexpected. Now I also need to find the B3 plug.

This is the last thing to figure out for this page/connector, pins 8 and 15 are unused, and pins 2 and 12 are for PPS which I don't have.

2q2r7kw.jpg

1zeuoo6.jpg

Attachments

• IH1(87-89).pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Pin # 5 ( blue/black ( thick one ) is for automatic transmission Neutral switch. If you got the plugs from a 5 speed car, it won't be there.

Pin # 10 = Signal to starter ( the wire that has a clip connector and plugs into the starter)

Pin # 14 = Pin # 14 on your 89 + Plug

You are looking at the plug pinouts from and Pre 89 ( yellow plugs. )

Plug # 17 will be on a the pre 89 B1 plug, which is yellow in color and has more wires than the Grey B1 plug.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
suprastanger507mgte;1381166 said:
Pin # 5 ( blue/black ( thick one ) is for automatic transmission Neutral switch. If you got the plugs from a 5 speed car, it won't be there.

It was there so I connected it, didn't pay attention to what it's for. I should be ok leaving it right as it won't connect to anything when I plug it in? Or is it necessary to remove the connection now.

Pin # 10 = Signal to starter ( the wire that has a clip connector and plugs into the starter)

The diagram I have says pin 10 from the jz harness (IH1) goes to pin 12 on the B1 connector I have. It was a part of the IH1 connector is doesn't have a clip connector to go to the starter. Should I be lengthening it, putting a clip connector and putting it on the starter?

Pin # 14 = Pin # 14 on your 89 + Plug

The thing is, I don't have an 89+ plug I have a yellow connector pre-89 plug.....

You are looking at the plug pinouts from a Pre 89 ( yellow plugs. )

Plug # 17 will be on the pre 89 B1 plug, which is yellow in color and has more wires than the Grey B1 plug.

.....and yes that is the pinout I'm looking at because that's the connector I have pin 17 is there on the YELLOW plug (B1), but the problem I'm having is there's no pin 14 on the GREY plug (IH1, from JZA70 harness).

So for my questions, Pin 9 is ok, attachin the grey wire to the B-O wire?

Pin 10 goes to the starter?...if so, what do I do with pin B1-12, leave it alone or splice it into the starter wire?

Pin 14 doesn't exist on my jza70 IH1 connector still as far as I see. Do I leave it, or splice a different wire to the B1 connector?

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Guyana00;1381189 said:
So for my questions, Pin 9 is ok, attachin the grey wire to the B-O wire?

Pin 10 goes to the starter?...if so, what do I do with pin B1-12, leave it alone or splice it into the starter wire?

Pin 14 doesn't exist on my jza70 IH1 connector still as far as I see. Do I leave it, or splice a different wire to the B1 connector?

So I am assuming you car is an 87 model ? from your signature :

87 N/A Targa 5spd. - Daily Driven - 1JZ Finding it's way in there soon!

-------------
before I answer your questions correctly, I need to know the following :
> year of the car.
> Auto or manual from factory?
> Look under that dash and tell me the color of the body plugs. ( it should be either Grey or yellow)

Why I ask the questions above is because your post is confusing me.
You are using a pre 89 wiring pinout.
The body plug you are trying to wire is for the 89+ model.

Once you have this sorted out on the harness, how will it plug to the body plug on your car under the dash? The pre89 body plug is not compatible with 89+ models.

Please specify and I will answer your questions more accurately.
Moe

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Oh ok, I see where the confusion comes in. The pictures show the JZA70 plug (IH1) I clipped off of the harness, that isn't the plug I'm wiring to my harness, that's the one that came off, which is why it looks like an 89+ style.

My car is an 87 5spd as in my sig, yellow plug of course.

I sold my engine harness to a local supra shop (adrenaline motorsports) and he said he would give me the plugs I needed for the swap. The plug he gave me though has the big blue and black wire though so it may have some off an auto.

Before we get confused, try to refer back to my first post and I'll put up the pics I have of the yellow plug.....

Here are the best pics I can get of the plug and wires right now.

2gwgos9.jpg

nvshs8.jpg

Sorry for the confusion btw, I hope I can get this solved, you're the only person replying but you seem very confident...lol. I'm actually headed out to pickering for the weekend, but I see by looking back at the diagrams a lot of them are unused or optional that I dont need to use because I don't I don't have an auto tranny, TEMS, or ABS...or airbag.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Okay now we talking :

Starting with Pin # 9 :
On the Ja70 plug, it will be Grey but if you trace it to the harness, it turns in Black/Orange.

So IHI/Pin # 9 ( Grey wire ) > Connects to B1/Pin # 16 on Yellow connector.(Black./Orange)

=======

IH1/Pin # 10 (Black/Blue) from your Jza70 > will connect to B1/Pin # 12 ( Black/Blue wire) on Yellow plug - Don't worry about the color here. As long as the Pin is correct.

=======

IH1/Pin # 11 > connects B1/Pin # 13 - (wire colors sames). Not needed if you don't have AC.

=======

IH1/Pin # 12 - Not connected on your car. This is for PPS

=======

IH1/Pin # 13 - Not connected for AC

=======

JZA70 - IH1/Pin # 14 - ( Black on your harness) > connects to B1/Pin # 17 (Black/Orange) on the Yellow plug.

Nothing else needs to be connected in the last three remaining wires on the yello plug.

Hope this helps and makes sense to ya!

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
That helps, I'm not home to try it out, I wish i was though.
Some more questions though.

suprastanger507mgte;1381699 said:
Okay now we talking :

Starting with Pin # 9 :
On the Ja70 plug, it will be Grey but if you trace it to the harness, it turns in Black/Orange.

So IHI/Pin # 9 ( Grey wire ) > Connects to B1/Pin # 16 on Yellow connector.(Black./Orange)

Great, exactly what I did and needed to know.

=======

IH1/Pin # 10 (Black/Blue) from your Jza70 > will connect to B1/Pin # 12 ( Black/Blue wire) on Yellow plug - Don't worry about the color here. As long as the Pin is correct.

Here is the thing, I do have the black with blue connected to the black with blue. But the pins don't match up to what you're saying.

Pin 10 (from harness) which you say is black blue, is supposed to be black white, I don't see it, I used the black one.
Pin B1-12 is also supposed to be black blue, it is black, so I connected it to the black wite from the harness. Seems like it's the right thing, but still, since there is a discrepency I want to confirm.

=======

IH1/Pin # 11 > connects B1/Pin # 13 - (wire colors sames). Not needed if you don't have AC.

These pings worked perfect for me, thanks.

=======

IH1/Pin # 12 - Not connected on your car. This is for PPS

I see there are other connections for TEMS, PPS, ABS, and SRS, I'm not planning on connecting any of those as I have none, thanks.

The only thing I'm thinking though is that the 6 pin connector hanging from my dash isn't going to have anything that will plug into it. It' looks like the B3 connector but that is for PPS and I think TEMS. Should something be going into it still? Because nothing from what I see will, and besides I don't have the plug for it.

=======

IH1/Pin # 13 - Not connected for AC

I do have A/C though, should I connect it? Doesn't look like I have he L1 plug.

=======

JZA70 - IH1/Pin # 14 - ( Black on your harness) > connects to B1/Pin # 17 (Black/Orange) on the Yellow plug.

As for pin #14, according to my diagram, it isn't there. Looking at it, there are supposed to be three big wires in the middle going vertically. Pin 5, 10 and 14. There are only two.

Pin5, supposed to be black with blue stripe, it's there.
Pin10, supposed to be black with white stripe, it's there as a black wire.
Pin14, there is nothing below pin 10, that's the problem I'm having. Which wire/pin do I use as #14?

This is the only pin that's a problem right now as I don't know what to use to attach to B1-17, please take a look at the pics I posted, there is no thick B-O wire coming off of the harness or no slot for a pin 14??

Nothing else needs to be connected in the last three remaining wires on the yellow plug.

Hope this helps and makes sense to ya!

This helped greatly, thanks man. There's only a bit left to figure out. The only thing I'm thinking now is I may need to do it over because the wires may not be long enough to reach my body plugs once I have the ECU in.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
92TealSupra;1381709 said:

Thanks man, pin 14 is what's messing me. It looks like my connector is different because if the middle column of pins, my bottom one (14) is missing.

Now that I look at it, his pin configurations are different too. i.e Pin 8 for him is white green PPS, my pin 8 is supposed to be red yellow for CC ECU, but it's missing and unused anyways.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Guyana00;1381715 said:
Thanks man, pin 14 is what's messing me. It looks like my connector is different because if the middle column of pins, my bottom one (14) is missing.

Now that I look at it, his pin configurations are different too. i.e Pin 8 for him is white green PPS, my pin 8 is supposed to be red yellow for CC ECU, but it's missing and unused anyways.

You will notice that even the B1 plug USDM has different wires on it then the JDM B1. For example, the progressive power steering wires are on the JDM B1, but on the USDM one they're on the b3, so you'll have to go through and figure that all in, I did it so I know you can.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Well, I asked first because I didn't want to:

a) Leave it and have it be a crucial signal the ECU needs to see to either run correctly or start.

b) Connect a random wire and cause a more potentially "fatal" problem.

If no one has any experience with this or no suggestion for what to do about pin#14 I would end up chancing it with either another wire I don't see appearing in any of the other sheets for the swap or just leave it out if the rest are accounted for.

Btw, I get what you're saying Eathan. I know it won't be a straight swap plug for plug. Only reason I started with the JDM B1 (IH1) into the USDM B1 is because I saw that most of the wires from this plug go to the USDM one. Also, it is the only known correct plug I have. The other ones I have I still need to figure out where they go.

I have more plugs on the harness but no other USDM ones to wire on.

I have a question for you, there is a plug hanging from by dash that looks like a smaller version of the B3 plug but when I look at the wiring for JDM harness > B3, all of the wires that go to that plug are for power steering or for something I don't have i.e. TEMS. I'm planning on leaving it hanging there. My question: IS it in fact the B3 plug?

I ask because I can't tell if it's the B3 plug that's hanging there. It's a 10-pin plug. The male sides I got from someone to wire into the harness, and there is one that looks like it attaches into the one I'm referring to as B3, but it's bigger and doesn't fit into the female end I have hanging from the dash.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Guyana00;1382760 said:
Well, I asked first because I didn't want to:

a) Leave it and have it be a crucial signal the ECU needs to see to either run correctly or start.

b) Connect a random wire and cause a more potentially "fatal" problem.

If no one has any experience with this or no suggestion for what to do about pin#14 I would end up chancing it with either another wire I don't see appearing in any of the other sheets for the swap or just leave it out if the rest are accounted for.

Btw, I get what you're saying Eathan. I know it won't be a straight swap plug for plug. Only reason I started with the JDM B1 (IH1) into the USDM B1 is because I saw that most of the wires from this plug go to the USDM one. Also, it is the only known correct plug I have. The other ones I have I still need to figure out where they go.

I have more plugs on the harness but no other USDM ones to wire on.

I have a question for you, there is a plug hanging from by dash that looks like a smaller version of the B3 plug but when I look at the wiring for JDM harness > B3, all of the wires that go to that plug are for power steering or for something I don't have i.e. TEMS. I'm planning on leaving it hanging there. My question: IS it in fact the B3 plug?

I ask because I can't tell if it's the B3 plug that's hanging there. It's a 10-pin plug. The male sides I got from someone to wire into the harness, and there is one that looks like it attaches into the one I'm referring to as B3, but it's bigger and doesn't fit into the female end I have hanging from the dash.

Okay first of all I don't know pins like when you say pin #14, tell me the color and what plug it is :)

So the b1 what color is this wire on it you need help with? Also this b3 plug that you have you have a pic, is it no the dash harness, or the JDM harness, also what year car do you have?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Also I think I see what you mean by pin 14. Yours is going to be black on your JDM harness isn't it? You will want to hook that to the Orange/Black on your car B1's. it goes to the igntior

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
p1382782_1.jpg

What I am doing is marking all the wires on the JDM 5-Speed harness. These are the layout of what the plug has for the wire location, color, and its function.

I only have the B1 done right now, I am going through a Toyota Part Number list to get exact plugs to do this with!

Hope this helps.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
These are the plugs I have been given, not including the B1 plug I've started wiring to the harness.

2vkj3n4.jpg

255051h.jpg

2a91rp0.jpg

de4uuc.jpg

qzopl0.jpg

iej7cw.jpg

First pic, the 5 plugs.

Second, White plug, should go in my engine bay somewhere (forget where, haven't see it lately) according to the pics I took when taking out my GE, which will be posted below.

Third, Blue plug, not sure where this goes.

Fourth, Green 6-pin plug, not sure where it goes either yet.

Fifth, I noticed this is the Female side of the connector, unlike the rest so I don't know if this is correct or a problem, feel free to let me know if you do. I identified it as C1 according to the wiring diagrams, looks similar and same pin configuration.

Sixth, Person that gave me the plugs said he didn't have the last plug I'd need and said all I'd need is a 4-pin connector, so that's why that unknown plug is there, with both sides.

Last pic, those are the two hanging from the dash, back one is B1 and the front one seems to be B3 (Is it?).

The following pictures are from when I took the engine out.

2eq540o.jpg

343gmk6.jpg

2ijosh3.jpg

2r2af09.jpg

First one of the one I believe is B3?
Second one is B1
Third is the other side of B3(?)
Fourth is the white connector I have above.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
92TealSupra;1382766 said:
Okay first of all I don't know pins like when you say pin #14, tell me the color and what plug it is :)

Sorry, I just said Pin 14 as I thought you would realise it was the same pin 14 I was referring to througout. Pin 14 is from the IH1 plug a.k.a. the JDM B1 plug.

So the b1 what color is this wire on it you need help with? Also this b3 plug that you have you have a pic, is it no the dash harness, or the JDM harness, also what year car do you have?

My car is an original 87 5spd. GE.
I figured out that the plug hanging there is the M1 plug. I figured this out from the IG1 diagram.

Also I think I see what you mean by pin 14. Yours is going to be black on your JDM harness isn't it? You will want to hook that to the Orange/Black on your car B1's. it goes to the igntior.

I only have one black wire coming from the JDM B1 plug, I connected that to the 12th pin on the USDM B1 (blackwhite). The black wire coming from the JDM B1 is pin 10 and it says to go to the USDM B1's 12th pin so that/s what I did. No other black wires.

There are no Orange/black wires on the JDM harness btw, there is one grey where there SHOULD be black/orange so I connected that to the corresponding black/orange on the USDM B1 plug as suprastang said.

The problem I'm having, if you look at my uploaded diagram OR the one you uploaded, is there SHOULD be a black/orange (or black according to your diagram) wire coming off of the plug where pin 14 should be. The one that goes to the igniter.

What I'm trying to say, is there IS no pin 14 on my JDM B1 (technically there is, where pin 15 is supposed to be). Even so, there is no black wire to correspond to your diagram, and there are no black/orange wires to correspond with the diagram I uploaded. What wire do I use to go to the igniter then? If you have no idea I understand, I appreciate the help you're giving me. But if not I'll see what wires aren't spoken for and try one of those, process of elimination, I guess.

p1382807_1.jpg

What I am doing is marking all the wires on the JDM 5-Speed harness. These are the layout of what the plug has for the wire location, color, and its function.

I only have the B1 done right now, I am going through a Toyota Part Number list to get exact plugs to do this with!

Hope this helps.

It helps a bit, but I have pretty much the same thing from the diagrams I have.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Ok there is only one problem, the same problem I've been having throughout.

I've accounted for all of the wires from the JZA70 harness when I clipped off the IH1 plug. All of the wires except pin/wire #14, supposed to be for the Igniter are there. I connected the ones that are supposed to be going to the USDM B1 plug except for this one wire.

I checked the wires I had left, there were three, the white/blue one for A/C and a white/green and red/green pair for PPS which I don't have.

Oh, I also noticed that in the file I uploaded that pin/wire #13 should go to pin #8 on "L1" but from all of the sheets I see no L1 connectors.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Guyana00;1383594 said:
Ok there is only one problem, the same problem I've been having throughout.

I've accounted for all of the wires from the JZA70 harness when I clipped off the IH1 plug. All of the wires except pin/wire #14, supposed to be for the Igniter are there. I connected the ones that are supposed to be going to the USDM B1 plug except for this one wire.

I checked the wires I had left, there were three, the white/blue one for A/C and a white/green and red/green pair for PPS which I don't have.

Oh, I also noticed that in the file I uploaded that pin/wire #13 should go to pin #8 on "L1" but from all of the sheets I see no L1 connectors.

L1 is for TEMS, it should be on there. What wire do you have left?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Here are the facts.

Wires left:

- white/green stripe
- red/green stripe
- white/blue stripe

Wires left to connect:

Igniter wire (supposed to be black), coming from JDM B1/IH1-14 to USDM B1-17.

Nothing is left to connect from the jza70 harness from the JDM B1 plug and nothing is connected to USDM B1-17.

Edit:

Found the L1 plug. The picture of it is on the IH1 diagram, I don't know how I missed it. There is no pinout for it, I don't need it, as the only wire that goes to it is this A/C one from what I see, and it goes to pin 8. But it isn't a problem anymore, just that igniter wire is still MIA.