JZA70 Charcoal Canister - Location ???

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I just received a charcoal canister from an eBay seller in Australia. Does anyone have pictures of where it mounts? I am suprised at how small this thing is compared to the USDM canister.

Also, does anyone happen to have the factory mounting bracket from their front clip that they didnt use? I know its a slim shot, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks....

Chris

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Chris, you can mount it anywhere. I mounted mine next to the clutch cylinder using home made bracket. I know of guy that mounted his inside the fender. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would mount it in the fender to clean up the engine bay and the charcoal canister does its job better away from heat.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
they were mounted on the passenger side by the heater valve in japan.. so, around where the brake booster is on LHD cars.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
csnow;1565415 said:
The fender is a good idea. I was curious where they were mounted from the factory.

On JDM cars they would be where your Brake Booster is Chris, I relocated mine using a bracket from a Hyundai I found at the junk yard.

Nick: Good for you, there's no "reason" to remove it :nono:

Better to get the compact JDM one and hide it away if you're offended by how the big ugle stock can looks then you have a fuel system that works as designed and one less variable to try and tune around.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
hvyman;1565543 said:
Why not just cap it off or be smart and get a canister from the yards.

I thought capping it off was a bad idea IIRC.

The people that helped with my car removed the 7m one, so I ran a line to the fender well where air lets it escape. not exactly environmentally friendly but that's how it is for the moment. Initially the metal line under the hood was left uncapped and it was venting into the engine bay, and one night this guy was holding a lighter near it to see my motor and such, and the vapor caught fire. I almost had a heart attack and ended up re-routed it to its current location.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Due to my earlier riceness I removed mine, I have since resourced a JDM one. I am unsure were the Bvsv is on the 1j so would I be able to simply connect the line to the tank and the other to the intake manifold vacuum port? or would it be smarted/eaiser to just find/replace the Bvsv?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dylan JZ;1565695 said:
I thought capping it off was a bad idea IIRC.

Cap off the bvsv not the line from the tank. If you cap the tank line you need a vented gas cap.

Should just hook it up tho and hide it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mattsplat72;1565897 said:
Due to my earlier riceness I removed mine, I have since resourced a JDM one. I am unsure were the Bvsv is on the 1j so would I be able to simply connect the line to the tank and the other to the intake manifold vacuum port? or would it be smarted/eaiser to just find/replace the Bvsv?

Don't think the Jz's run a BSV, more than likely a normal electric vsv that's open at 60c.