JZA70 1JZGTE harness bad?

AChan

Oct 24, 2008
Chicago
Hey all,

Sorry if I am reposting a topic that has already been covered, but I have searched and couldn't really find anything I'm looking for. I'm also a bit of a newb to JZ motors, so please forgive me.

My 1JZ swap into my 86 MKII is done except now it's not getting spark. The guy who did my swap has done 5 JZ swaps on the MA61 chassis without a problem and he says all of the wiring is correct. He checked it multiple times.

I have 2 igniters, so that can't be the problem unless both are bad, but I doubt it. The install guy says it's either the crank angle sensor or the ECU.

Another buddy of mine told me that it might be a bad coil pack or the CAS. But he just called me and said that he was told that the JZA70's harness fries ECUs...Is this true? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
ECU's are known to go bad on the 1jz but dont jump the gun and go buy an ecu.

First thing i would do is try to see if you can borrow a friend's ECU or look at your ECU for burned caps. If your not sure what to look for- take a pic and the guys on here will know if its burned or not.

If you can't go about that than i would start testing out your components/ ohming out your harness. I would see if you can get a diagnostic trouble tree for any 1jz but preferably the jza70. If you can't find that than look for a diagnostic trouble tree for the 2jzgte or a thread off here or Supraforums to see what routes those guys did since it be close to the 1jz but not exactly but it will give you at least a good heads up on what to test next. Rather than just taking stabs at testing the Crank ANgle Sensor, the coils, etc etc.

If i find a diagnostic trouble tree for that symptom, i'll post up the link

Ps. Also the guy could have messed up somewhere on your harness- you know sh*t happens.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
You should be throwing some code, read and see if you are getting any and post what it is. It could be a couple things don't start throwing things at it just yet. But wouldn't be surprised if it was leaking caps from the ecu, but the harness doesn't cause that. Also either the ignitor or crank sensor like has been stated.