*jz tps calibration

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
i have searched for hours, i can't *ucking find it damn it.

can anyone please show me where to get it, or tell me if it's the same as the 7m-gte resistances.

thanks

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No it's not.

How are you trying to adjust it? Resistances are really only necessary to check to make sure the TPS is in proper working order, not adjustment.

To adjust it, stick a continuity meter across VE and IDL (I think those are the pins), stick a 0.4mm (not a 0.6mm like the 2JZ) spacer between the throttle adjustment screw, and the stop on the throttle, then adjust the TPS so it JUST reaches continuity. Then double check that <0.4mm has continuity, and >0.4mm doesn't. It's VERY tricky to get right, and may take you a couple tries.

If you still want the resistances, so a search for the link to the 1JZ manual.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
i know how to do it, and i've done it a bunch of times, just now i can't find the damn specs on it. the pins are IDL and E2, i just wasn't sure the feeler gauge size to use, so if it's 0.4mm, then i'll do that tomorrow.

where did you get the specs from, or are you just recalling it from memory?

thanks

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
On a 1jz the timing will only be at 10 degrees (with E1 and TE1 jumpered) when the throttle is fully closed, so to adjust the tps you can use a timing light, and make sure the timing changes with just a slight blip of the throttle. You don't have to have it at exactly precisely .4mm for it to work correctly, but it does need to change with a slight movement of the throttle. With the throttle closed, turn the tps until you see the timing jump up (it will be about 18 deg), then turn it the opposite way just untill the timing goes back down to 10. Then turn the throttle and a slight movement should make the timing jump up. The correct way to do it is with a volt meter and feeler gauge, but this way can be done with just a timing light and a screw driver.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
bigaaron said:
On a 1jz the timing will only be at 10 degrees (with E1 and TE1 jumpered) when the throttle is fully closed, so to adjust the tps you can use a timing light, and make sure the timing changes with just a slight blip of the throttle. You don't have to have it at exactly precisely .4mm for it to work correctly, but it does need to change with a slight movement of the throttle. With the throttle closed, turn the tps until you see the timing jump up (it will be about 18 deg), then turn it the opposite way just untill the timing goes back down to 10. Then turn the throttle and a slight movement should make the timing jump up. The correct way to do it is with a volt meter and feeler gauge, but this way can be done with just a timing light and a screw driver.
Hey, that's a good way to do it, thanks for the tip!

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
that tip only works if you can get your damn timing down to 10 degrees. i never have been able too, mine always shows ~22 degrees with e1 and te1 jumped

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
tps is brand new from toyota, and a wiring problem is a little vague. do you know specifically where to look, cause my car runs great and all, just base timing is 22*.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's hard not to be vague when talking about a possible engine swap wiring problem. I've seen so many engine swap wiring mistakes that I woudn't know where to tell you to look. :biglaugh: If it were me I would get out the electrical diagram tsrm and a digital volt/ohm meter and verify all the tps wiring is correct. When you jumper the check connector does the ce light flash codes?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
i've already verified continuity between all 4 tps wires from ecu to the tps plug, same with the map sensor, and the cam sensors and crank sensor. i had a problem when i first did the swap where the engine wouldn't start. turned out i reversed the polarity on the 2nd cam sensor, so i checked all that out already. and i know of a bunch of people that have this problem, even one guy that has a brand new harness from toyota (unmolested), so i don't think it's wiring.

edit: yeah, check engine light shows no codes, constant flashing

djdot2k

un pimp ze auto
Mar 16, 2007
BK NY/ATL GA
bigaaron;592508 said:

bigaaron could you please explain the voltmeter and feeler gauge way, thanks

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
annoyingrob said:
To adjust it, stick a continuity meter across VE and IDL (I think those are the pins), stick a 0.4mm (not a 0.6mm like the 2JZ) spacer between the throttle adjustment screw, and the stop on the throttle, then adjust the TPS so it JUST reaches continuity. Then double check that <0.4mm has continuity, and >0.4mm doesn't. It's VERY tricky to get right, and may take you a couple tries.

johnverheij

shoarmateam member
Nov 21, 2006
netherlands
bigaaron said:

but how do you connect a timinglight to a 1jz engine?
there are now sparkplug cables to connect it to

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
the ignitor has a wire that is folded up underneath the cover, it just pulls out. i can't remember the color of it though, but you'll be able to tell