just started a 1987 mk3 project,im new here...

borisupra

Mar 12, 2010
Bayamon
Hello,greetings from Iraq i just bought a 1987 supra when i was home on leave 2 weeks ago for 1500 bucks its in a ok condition considering it has 23 years and its basically stock the only modifications it has is a bov and a racing air filter thats it!!!!! i start working on it when i get back home in around 6 months im just starting this thread, its late here in Iraq (3am)and im going to bed but i will post pics of the present condition of the car and i will definetly apreciate and be thankful of any advice i could get from my fellow Supra owners and experts here im new at this so i would welcome any input ,tomorrow when is not so late i will write on more detail about the car, his condition and will post pics asap im very exited about this project and looking fwd to the challenge thanks in advance and wish me luck lol,to be continued...

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
Welcome aboard man great place to be and nice supra in you avatar pic I have an 87 too just be sure to PM me if you need some help Greetings from Sabana Grande,PR ;)

borisupra

Mar 12, 2010
Bayamon
OK so here is the deal, i found that car on an online clasified add a couple of days before i went on leave so i contacted the guy all the way from here and went to see it, he asked 1800 but i offered a take it or leave it 1500 deal and he agreed ,the car had bad breaks which i fixed replacing the brake calipers well 3 of them i could not find the one on the rear driver side i solve that later the brakes are working fine so its all good for now, i also replace the tranny filter and put new fluid so the car runs well and i fix a short circuit in the break lights ,i only had 15 days of leave so it was not my intention to spend them fidgeting with a car,the missus would not allow it lol so i left it like that and enjoyed my leave,one pleasant surprise is that all the p/w,p/l,p/mp/s,factory radio and interior lights are in working order the AC works it just need gas this car was sleeping for a couple of years ,the suspension is well a 23 y/o suspension the leather seats are beat up,the engine works great!no funny sounds it just looks old lol,now to my main concern it is the automatic tranny something that will be replaced as soon as i can, of course im going manual with it!!! ,as of now the car when its kinda cold you step on it and you coud feel the boost and the aceleration the boost opens between 2000 to 2500 rpms not sure yet i haven't really push it to the limit since i dont trust it or know it that well yet by trusting i mean the trans and the turbo bc the engine sounds and feel solid but when you try to boost a second or 3rd time you basically get nothing on the boost dept. just normal non-boost aceleration,i suspect its just the age of the turbo plus all the dry looking lines going to it lol,the boost gauge when i start the car it goes between 0 and 1 and stay there no matter what i do,the spare tire well its rusted out bad i mean you can see the ground but for the price its ok nothing that cant be fixed, overall the car surpassed the expectations for the price so im really exited about the posibilities and the challenge,oh another thing even though i dont feel the boost i could hear the bov working fine when it has to so can anyone give me an eduated guess of what the problem could be?i think its just the age of the turbo,when i get home what i plan to do for what i call my own stage 1 its upgrade the intercooler put a aluminium radiator,rebuild the engine and the turbo, suspension upgrade put a 3" aluminium exaust replace all the turbo wiring of course and if im still in budget repaint it new tires polished rims ,for now what just want its to get the car back to what it was back in the day but better,the reason to do this is to be prudent and dont go overboard if i can get it close to the 300hp with these upgrades i be happy as hell,later on i will replace the turbo and try to get it between the 400 -500hp range but thats for later,for now i just want to get it to a better performance than what it was back in the day ,ok how do i put pics here anybody help?

7MTURBO13

Apr 6, 2010
il
i got a 87 also lookin for a wide band for it but nice car for price cant beat that welcome form fellow noob..

borisupra

Mar 12, 2010
Bayamon
I'm finally back home!!!! and i was able to deal with the Supra at last!!!Well the car was basically sitting on the garage for 6 months,the first night i came back from Iraq after spending time with the family of course i revved up a little bit with no problems,could not take it out for a ride because it had 3 flat tires,next day after fixing that i took it out for a spin and after a lil bit it had a really bad stalling problem like it had bad spark plugs after i checked them they looked fine so it must had been the 6 month fuel it has in it.I learned this trick about putting a quarter of a quarter of oil into the tank to clean up the injectors and problem solved it stalls a little bit when it takes off but its getting better and better every time so the trick is working.My mechanic friend did a compression test on it and was impressed with it he said it is basically intact ,the engine runs very smooth on idle and most important even when it had the stalling problem you revved it up and there is 0 smoke coming out of the exhaust.I took the crankcase out because i thought the bad leak it has was on the crankcase,nope it was the power steering pump solved the problem and had a look at the oil pump looked great no carbon residue or nothing same with the crankshaft,i did not dare to push the car till i have new oil in it because i had no idea how old oil was but after i did i push it and it works really really good considering that the only mod it has is a cheapo bov thats it!!when the turbo goes wot it goes to 70 and 80 miles fast with not much effort it's daytime here lots of traffic but tonight i will go beyond the 100 barrier im convinced it can do it overall im happy as hell with the car btw i have a godspeed intercooler system ,walbro fuel pump HKSsqv BOV new brakes new shock absorbers, hks stooper head gasket and almost everything i need for a auto to r154 swap all this stuff begging to be installed but first i need it to make sure the car was running right engine wise and thats only my stage 1 so far so good....