just realized my turbo doesn't really spin freely

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
my intake's taken off and i spun my turbo today, and i'm just wondering if it should be spinning fast, like somethin with broken in bearings or slower. i don't know if anything's wrong but i have to keep it spinning with my finger or else it won't move. it'll spin smoothly, but not without my help, ya know? i had no idea this was a problem... any ideas?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Last edited:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
MDCmotorsports said:
Video of the said spinning?

no video, sorry, but compared to the guy's video on his phone he's talkin about, it barely spins at all. it's not clogged or hitting anything on the inside that i can feel, it's just that it literally won't spin freely... like skateboard bearings that aren't broken in, basically. they spin freely, but not for long... that kinda thing. i think this is the cause of my boost gauge not working. there's nothing to boost if nothin's pushing any pressure anywhere lol.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
IwantMKIII said:
To give you an idea, my stock ct has almost 170K on it. When i spin it with my finger tips it spins continuously about 7-8 seconds. Mine has no shaft play so i assume both are very good especially for its age. I have a video but its not the best ill try to upload it to youtube.

videos taken from my phone:

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYg88h4U08

2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciTFDzHkNl0

mine spins for like a second, so i'm guessin i'll have to figure out if it's lack of coolant/grease/oil or what. you know any good shops that'd check it out without charging $73908?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
IwantMKIII said:
where are you located?

sequim, WA. the closest place is probably Seattle or Tacoma and my car's not gonna run without a turbo so i won't be able to drive there, so i guess i'll get one of my two Supra-knowing friends to help me out with it. what were you thinkin of though?

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
87mgte said:
i think this is the cause of my boost gauge not working. there's nothing to boost if nothin's pushing any pressure anywhere lol.

no not really. you just need a new turbo. MDCmotorsports does rebuilds.
-Steve

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
crrider80 said:
no not really. you just need a new turbo. MDCmotorsports does rebuilds.
-Steve

well yeah, i meant my turbo isn't boosting so of course the boost gauge shows nothin but vaccuum. what could've caused the slow spinning?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
IwantMKIII said:
Nvm, my place was in PA....not even close.

haha yeah, thanks though. is yours ball bearing or no? mine spins for less than a second, so i guess i'm lookin at a rebuild.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
IwantMKIII said:
To give you an idea, my stock ct has almost 170K on it. When i spin it with my finger tips it spins continuously about 7-8 seconds. Mine has no shaft play so i assume both are very good especially for its age. I have a video but its not the best ill try to upload it to youtube.

videos taken from my phone:

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYg88h4U08

2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciTFDzHkNl0

i can't tell whether or not your CT's still installed. if it's installed it'll spin a lot slower won't it?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
My CT is the same, no shaft play, spins very smoothly, but does not keep momentum and only spins for a second or 2...

I thought it was just from sitting so long, that it just needs to get some oil pressure in it again and it'll spin fine! Do I really need to rebuild it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
might just be oil buildup in the turbo...

mine does it too, but mostly it's supposed to be smooth.

A rebuild couldn't hurt though...

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
It'll hurt my wallet... lol

I'm trying to put it off until I break in the engine and can afford the real turbo kit I want

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Poodles said:
might just be oil buildup in the turbo...

mine does it too, but mostly it's supposed to be smooth.

A rebuild couldn't hurt though...

yeah i'm gonna get it rebuilt anyway, just cuz it's 20 years old. mine spins perfectly smooth but with no momentum, just like Jaguar5's problem.