Just how much does your subframe move?

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
ok while I was at work today checking out another problem I was having. For some reason I remember reading some were that we should tighten our rear sub frame bolts. So I pull out the cell phone and tell my tec to hold it study to make a vid. Basically I wanted to show you all how soft our bushings get after 20+ years of age.
This is me prying with a pry bar against the traction arm to sub frame. Keep in mind I'm a lil guy about 150 ish {not down to my racing weight} not with a lot of pressure or a huge pry bar. So what do you think the full weight of the car in a hard turn is like. If one of the makers of the after market sub frame bushings wants my vid they can use it as a selling point for a lil love in return. {give me something free like the bushing kit :love:eek:r a nice hat} lol.
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/lestrys/?action=view&current=002-5.flv

If wanted I will show The traction arm flex too {come on supra store hook it up with some arms too}:naughty:

Last edited:

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Also tightening them Had no effect. I think my car has about 150k on it but who Knows? Also How do you replace them? do I have to take the whole sub frame down and Press them out or what?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
You remove the subframe and pop them out. That doesn't look like a hell of a lot of movement, but they might be rusted out. If you have a press, they are easy to replace.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
that wasnt as much movement as you made it sound... the rubber is there to help isolate the subframe so its not super harsh over EVERY bump and little thing in the road...

i would much rather have a "little" play than be like my friend whos dash rattles like crazy just cause of the poly mounts for his engine.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Damn man, if yours only has 150K on it and has that much, I'm afraid of how much mine might have with 230K...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
grimreaper;1262343 said:
96K here, mine should be like new ;)

mine has 0k.
p1262614_1.jpg

strippedsup87

Feb 25, 2009
Murrieta ca
Ya just because its rubber doesnt mean it should move that much....doesnt even look like the rubber is touching on both sides...looks like an air gap...

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
Rennat;1262698 said:
do the spacers go between the subframe and the chasis, or do they go underneath it?

either way, wouldnt a push in poly mount be better like ronniek's?

I have the alumnium ones they go in between the subframe and the body and mine arnt cheep you dont need to add a washer to the rears to get the right thicknes the bushings are thincker i have used these personaly on my 3 supras they help a ton.

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
strippedsup87;1262709 said:
Ya just because its rubber doesnt mean it should move that much....doesnt even look like the rubber is touching on both sides...looks like an air gap...

From the factory there is there is a part of the lower bushing in the subframe that touches inside the upper bushing.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Poodles;1262581 said:
Try the front ;)

I was the one that keeps reminding people to retorque them. My front ones here VERY loose...

where are the tq specs at? i have a new digi tq wrench i just got calibrated and want to use... I cant find them in the tsrm