Just Had Shoulder Surgery Again (with pics)

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I had shoulder surgery this morning for the 3rd time to tighten it up because it dislocates very easily out the back. I was lazy, so I just copied this from my myspace bulletin.

The surgery went well. I am on Oxycodone. I'll post more pictures as I get them, including the pictures from inside my shoulder. The doctors did what's called a nerve block on my shoulder. Basically they stuck a long needle into my neck, searched for the right nerve (which caused my arm and shoulder to spasm and jump around), and then gave a shot of Lidacaine to the nerve, causing my part of my neck, shoulder, and arm, to be completely numb. It's been 12 hours since they numbed me and it's just now starting to wear off.

The doctor anchored the tissue solidly to my bone. I'll most likely lose atleast 10 degrees of range of motion permanently from my arm, but that's ok. The government will pay me disability for the rest of my life for that.

While I was unconscience, one of the doctors or nurses drew this little stick figure on top of my tiger tattoo. I'm thinking about making it permanent.

Lastly, I hate Iodine. My entire arm and hand is covered in this crap, giving it an orange color and making it somewhat sticky.

Here's the other picture I took a couple hours ago. The foam tape on my shoulder comes off in 2 days, and I am only allowed to take the sling off for showers starting 3 days from now.

Adam

Last edited:

92gtapex

Aug 10, 2006
Northland, New Zealand
Hope your recovery goes well.
Im in the process of weighing up the pros and cons of surgery at the moment, Im seeing some improvements through physio and strengthening excercises so I think im going to put it off for now and see how it goes.
My problem with the surgery is that my shoulder dislocates forwards, backwards and straight down, and apparently they can only fix 2 out of the 3 and the other will be more unstable than it was before...
maybe our NZ surgeons arent as talented as yours lol
Once again good luck and I hope you have a good recovery

Logan

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hopefully you'll feel better after all of the side effects wear off. I had back surgery about four years ago, and it felt like I had a bionic back for a while, but now old age is catching up with me again...........:biglaugh:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
damn rotator cups... :icon_mad:

I know, not the same thing... or the right word. I just love saying it. Pt's crack me up.

You just lose the 10' of motion, and not only have 10', correct?

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
A normal arm has 180 degrees of rotation. 90 down and 90 up. If you do the signals out you car window for stop and right turn, that is what I am talking about by range of motion.

I don't know exactly how much range of motion I'll lose, but I am guaranteed to lose atleast a few degrees. There is the possibility that I could lose more than 10 degrees range of motion. Only time will tell.

Adam

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I was able to go to bed last night before 10 and slept halfway decent up until 4 A.M. I took off the foam tape and gauze that was covering my shoulder, which stun a bit (stupid adhesive foam tape). My surgeon cut open one of the 2 scars and used it for this surgery. He also went in the same scar as the previous 2 surgeries. Meaning I've had 3 surgeries and have only 3 small scars totaling 6 visible stitches, even though I've had 12 total stitches. Click on the thumb nails to make them bigger.

Adam

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I may get the stick man this weekend, but my arm is still covered in iodine. It's going to take several days to get the crap removed, and I'm not allowed to take a shower until tomorrow. The stick man would probably cost me only $10 and take more time prepping than inking.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Ahh, Modern technology and surgery. Isn't it great, 1 inch incision and a minor scar for something so complex.
40 years ago, they prolly would have tore your arm apart, or told you to just live with it.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
One of the guys I work with at my 2nd job is a retired USMC Chief Warrant Officer who was medically retired in 1997. He had rotator cup surgery that year and they filayed open his shoulder. 20 years ago appendix removal surgery was major surgery with a huge scar and a 3 month recovery time. Now it's day surgery with a 1-2 in scar, and you're back to work in a few days.

kc10mec

Welcome to the suck!
Nov 4, 2006
central NJ
honestabe said:
One of the guys I work with at my 2nd job is a retired USMC Chief Warrant Officer who was medically retired in 1997. He had rotator cup surgery that year and they filayed open his shoulder. 20 years ago appendix removal surgery was major surgery with a huge scar and a 3 month recovery time. Now it's day surgery with a 1-2 in scar, and you're back to work in a few days.

That is the exact reason I'm waiting to get out and get the surgery! I don't feel like letting the Air Force medical hobby shop mess my shoulder up more than what it already is.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
You have to remember kc, that was 10 years ago when he had that surgery. Technology and medicine have come a long way since then. Hell, I could be operated on by a surgeon who is in another country right now. We didn't have that 10 years ago.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
What kind of surgery was it? I got surgery on my shoulder about 2 months ago and they called it a SLAP repair, and it was because of range of motion.

kc10mec

Welcome to the suck!
Nov 4, 2006
central NJ
honestabe said:
You have to remember kc, that was 10 years ago when he had that surgery. Technology and medicine have come a long way since then. Hell, I could be operated on by a surgeon who is in another country right now. We didn't have that 10 years ago.

True but I've also seen some ugly things happen with people here on base. On the other hand I've seen outside docs mess some stuff up to. I just want more of a choice in docs when I go to get it done.