Just got addicted to racing.... oops

ThatOneKid

Apr 15, 2013
Minnesota
So as you can see from the title, I caught the bug after hitting a local track meet. Now, instead of trying to build this car as strictly a clean daily driver, im gearing more towards making it into a road course-focused machine. The only thing is, i'm a bit of a noob.
I've got an idea for what to do with tires, wheels and brakes. The suspension is already on its way to being reworked (TEIN Coilovers so far)
But the one area im struggling with is the engine. I want something that's very responsive and with pretty immediate power. I've tried finding more info on the 5M/7M hybrids out there. They seem like an interesting idea but what exactly are the pros and cons of that setup. also have been thinking about a 2JZ-GE, Carbed 1UZ (not very seriously) I just wanted advice to get me onto a good path and figure out what is I want to do. I have a 87 Supra non turbo BTW.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
What are your specific goals and what size budget are you planning? It is helpful to understand where exactly U want to end up at; a time trial, a club SCCA/NASA class racing, or a high performance driving experience HPDE set up. Then build your car accordingly.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
This is my Supra's set-up for NASA, HPDE:
pic 8.jpgpic 7.jpgpic 6.jpgpic 5.jpgpic 4.jpgpic 11.jpgSupra Art Car.jpg
The rear wing is adjustable to balance the down force on the car to drive faster through the turns.

wmcoons

Aug 30, 2013
Milwaukee
If you're just starting out, I think the 7MGE you have now will do just fine. Upgrade your brakes and tires first, you'll get a lot more noticeable gains that way. You don't need huge power to learn how to drive a track on the correct line.

You need to get good quality, aftermarket oil pressure and water temp gauges. My friends and I have been racing an 87 for two years now, started 7MGE and now it has a 7MGTE. The stock gauges do not react fast enough, if you have a sudden loss of oil pressure, your engine will be dead before the stock gauge moves. I would recommend running 1 extra quart of oil higher than the full line on the dipstick, and check it every time you come in.

Good luck and have fun! Post some pictures!