Just completed Head gasket job, Rod knock?!

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
So I've gone and worked my ass off the last week, finally getting all my shit back together so I can get my car running. This is what I did

*Used head from a member, cleaned, new seals, reshimmed springs, clearences set, planed flat.
*Smooth block surface, minor pitting. Cleaned out cylinders real good. Carb cleaner, then a tiny bit of oil to pick up small shit.
*OEM gasket (ebay kit :/ ) with copper spray all on it
*Every gasket surface cleaned via wire brush. All parts cleaned.
*All New gaskets. Properly timing, dizzy may need adjusting.

Now the shitty shit:

*Vacuum hoses may be slightly mixed up. Heater isnt working (valve?).
*Injectors are leaking from rail. They have new rings on them. I just made sure they were very clean and slipped them in. Something else I was supposed to do? Or do they just need to get hot a few times to expand and seal?
*I think I heard a knock driving to school today. Seemed rpm dependant. Cant hear too well cuz exhaust is loud as fuck (broken right before cat).

What can I do? I'm going to check for anything loose and look at the crank pulley but thats about all i can think of.

I did an oil change but I need to flush it to get any possibly shit out and make sure no coolant is in their.

And can anyone get me a few good actual pics of the EGR area? Thats where i'm confused on vacuum hoses, and where does that braided rubber hose off the egr go?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I've read one of SC's articles, and well...IIRC if the bearings touch the coolant, their life is shortened...(by 48% or smt.). That's why it's recommended to do total overhaul when doing BHG job.

And about the injector rings. When I put my new Ajusa ones in, well, they leaked after like 15miles, so the mechanic put some meatier rings from some other car in, and they work perfectly...atleast now :D

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
UPDATE

*Havn't heard the knock since that day. weird.
*Yes I did change the oil, flushing it with new oil again tomorrow
*Got the vacuum shit figured out, but when i put the one hose on the top of the EGR valve, it wont start? Bad egr valve?

NEW PROBLEM

*Injectors still friggin leaking

*My car sometimes idles perfectly fine, but then sometimes it wants to sputter and die, and other times it jumps from 1k to 2k rpms back and forth back and forth. And sometimes it just idles around 2k rpms. Its weird. I'm thinking throttle position sensor? Can anyone get me the link to the TRSM specs for measuring the resistances and OHMS? im on my friends laptop and dont have it bookmarked

*Also, it randomly misfires, but i think its cuz the POS bosch fusion spark plugs i had in it. Knicked myself some good NGK v-powers though. Should cure it?

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
A good note as far as your leaky injectors... it is a good idea to coat your O-rings that slip into the rail with vaseline. It is just good practice to do so. It creates a better seal.

After doing my head gasket, my car has created the same idle issue, and I haven't gotten to really look into it yet, but I believe the TPS is the culprit due to the fact that my TPS connector is a complete piece of junk and comes loose all the time. It very well may be something else though, so I am looking forward to hearing other comments on this.

Check the simple stuff out first. And don't forget, if your injectors are leaking, that will screw with your idle speed (uneven fuel distribution). Get the leak fixed, and then check where your timing is at. Timing is also a big factor in idle speed. So just use the KISS method... keep it simple stupid.

Good luck!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you ever need the cygnus tsrm online...

Type "TSRM" into google and magically the first hit is the TSRM link. It doesn't have any description on the google page so you may miss it, but trust me, it's there;)

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Someone said they upgraded to slightly meatier rings from another car, anyone have a clue where those were off? I definately want to cure that problem

Tomorrow i'm switching in those regular NGK v-powers, and going to try to get my friend to bring his timing light so i can set the timing.

I've triple checked to make sure the TPS connection is tight, but i'll throw some dialectric grease on it tomorrow. It wont fuck with it will it? Like allow the different spades to cross voltages?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
UPDATE:

Went by my autozone today, put my new plugs in. The ones I had in had about 50 miles on them, and were completely black. Don't ask me why i don't know this, but is that just because they were shit plugs, and misfired? or am I runing lean? rich?

These new plugs are alot smoother.

*Replaced every dam vacuum line on the car, with the exception of the 2 under the upper plenum, which i'll get as soon as its a bit warmer. Freezing out today
*Replaced the shitty coupler on my afm.

*My injector leak has gotten alot worse. Fixing it wednesday hopefully.

QUESTIONS:

Does that rubber/plastic washer for the fuel rail bolts go under the rail, or above it? Its under and i have a feeling it should be above,and this giving a little more room to tighten down the rail and injectors. If thats the reason they're leaking im going to kick myself lol. They do have alot of up and down play.

If a few are leaking, they're obviously going to make my car run weird, but would that make the car idle high?

*Finally, i'll be getting exhaust this week, i'm thinking straight 2.5" to one of those turbo cherrybomb mufflers that look like a regular muffler. Sound about right? I'm sure 3" is way too big and stock is 2"

*Oh ya, anyone have a known working TPS and IACV? After I check voltages im sure i'll need one or both.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
SupaMan;926920 said:
those little metal/rubber spacer things go under the rail IIRC.

they do? thats how i have them i believe, but they move up and down with what seems to be too much play. shit idk i'll just mess with them till they quit leaking lol

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
quick question, how much does a 7mge aluminum head weigh on average? i can't find the spec anywhere

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
mines without, so about 60 lbs? dam i was told i could get around 50 for it and the most i've found is 68 cents/lb.

thats only 40 bucks :(