Just another new guy.

deezy

Nov 7, 2012
Tennessee
Figured since I have been lurking on the forums for a while it was time to introduce myself and the car.

Basically when I got the car it was in rather stock form, which is what I wanted from all the horror stories I have heard from these cars. At first I was reluctant to get one of these cars but considering my college roommate owned both a mk3 and mk4 supra he eventually persuaded me into finally buying one.

And this was the outcome. I found an 89 in rather good condition. The only mods at the time were some lowering springs and nissan wheels. The previous owner also replaced both the motor and transmission with jdm ones. While the motor was out he went ahead and also installed arp head studs and a titan motorsports headgasket.

p1907997_1.jpg

After driving the car for a little while and making sure it was going to last I decided it was time to start getting it where I wanted it. So the modifications began. First things first was to get rid of the lowering springs and get some coilovers. I went ahead and found a set of megans extremely cheap so I purchased them and got it installed. Next was to ditch the wheels for something a little more different. I found a good deal on a set of ssr gartmaier wheels. They are 18x9 and 18x10 and since they are somewhat rare I decided to go ahead and scoop them up. I also decided to go ahead and go with a shine lip and air guide.

The only performance mods that are on it as of right now is a titan motorsports 3" downpipe along with a full 3" blitz nurspec exhaust. Wastegate is also shimmed right below fuel cut.

So here is the somewhat finished project. Sorry for the lame pictures.

p1907997_2.jpg

p1907997_3.jpg

p1907997_4.jpeg

p1907997_5.jpg

Future plans still include to tint the windows and some maintenance stuff that still needs to be addressed.

deezy

Nov 7, 2012
Tennessee
Silver MK3;1908001 said:
The car looks really clean. Is it still the original paint?

Yeah surprisingly it is. There are a few spots on it showing through but that is because someone got carried away with a buffer.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
deezy;1908002 said:
Yeah surprisingly it is. There are a few spots on it showing through but that is because someone got carried away with a buffer.

That's why I would never use a buffer on my car, or let anyone else use one on it. I feel much safer applying everything by hand.

deezy

Nov 7, 2012
Tennessee
Silver MK3;1908008 said:
That's why I would never use a buffer on my car, or let anyone else use one on it. I feel much safer applying everything by hand.

There is nothing wrong with a buffer if you know how to use one. Its the people that get carried away and think they know what they are doing that causes irreversible problems.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
deezy;1908069 said:
There is nothing wrong with a buffer if you know how to use one. Its the people that get carried away and think they know what they are doing that causes irreversible problems.

Yeah, I'm sure they are safe when you know what you are doing, but I have never used a buffer before and I wouldn't want to try it for the first time on my Supra. I also have a hard time trusting other people with my car.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
good stuff! I used to have one just like that (almost) bright red 89, you know :) it looks good though! take good care of 'er ;)

I don't know if you still have the stock turbo elbow, but if you can do away with that, as well as the stock intercooler and intercooler pipes, you'll see a very noticeable gain in response, power, and efficiency.