Joy ride wrecks super rare Mercedes

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Luckily, that's exactly what insurance is for. Still sucks.

On a good note, it's actually pretty cool that the old car took the damage so well.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Beals;1927045 said:
and had airbags!?

Way too old for those.

Also, it loosk like whoever wrote that article knows nothing about cars...

The car is best known for being the first to inject fuel directly into the cylinders, making it the world's fastest production car of its time.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Poodles;1927048 said:
Way too old for those.

looks like an airbag hanging out the drivers door to me =S maybe aftermarket lol

It was fuel injected but I;d say its more known for its gull wing door styling then that.

Mercedes was usually the pioneer for what's going to be in car, for example the modern S class, almost everything you see in a new SL comes standard in most domestic vehicles 10 years later. IE airbags, sat. map, ability to park it self, rearview cameras ect

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
What I wonder is going to come up as an issue is what happened in a similar incident with a Lamborghini I read about. Guy takes his newer lambo to a high end alignment shop, mechanic takes it for a joy ride in the rain it spins out in an intersection and takes down a light pole iirc. Now the dealership/alignment shop whatever is obviously fully liable for the damages. HOWEVER the car now has a salvage/accident on its title which severely drops the resale value of rare/exotic cars and the owner of the car wants the amount back that the car has depreciated in by having an accident on its title but the shop doesn't want to cough it up. I'm not sure what ended up happening with that story, I know the owner got the media involved however to put pressure on the shop to cough up the cash.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Poodles;1927048 said:
it loosk like whoever wrote that article knows nothing about cars...
The car is best known for being the first to inject fuel directly into the cylinders, making it the world's fastest production car of its time.

I think he does:

GDI2_right.jpg

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/tech/Motive_Tech_Gasoline_Direct_Injection.shtml
http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/sl-class/specs#features

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1927048 said:
I was about to say, direct fuel injection didn't come along for quite some time after that, right? However, that image that A.Jay posted seems to suggest otherwise. I'll have to check the sources later. If that's legit, it explains a lot about how they manage to squeeze that much power out of an engine in the 50's with comparatively low displacement for the output.

Beals;1927085 said:
looks like an airbag hanging out the drivers door to me =S maybe aftermarket lol
That's the headless corpse of the driver. Or a seat, more likely. I can't see someone buying one of these and putting air bags in it. I'd be surprised if it had any more safety features than a lap belt...

Also:
JJ's initial link to the story said:
The 26-year-old and his 19-year-old apprentice from Mechatronics — a high-profile Mercedes workshop — were unharmed after their joyride north of Stuttgart went sour.
That's probably only because the owner will probably be slowly torturing them. :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmm, I had to look harder to find the info I had (had a book on it around here somewhere). Yeah, it's direct injected, but finicky. Also, the HP numbers back then are rated differently (done on an engine dyno without any accessories being driven by the motor, etc.) They only realistically put out about 180HP. Still impressive for the time.