Join our AEM fun! (Questions here, answers appreciated)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Alright, helping 7MBoost out and here's what I need to know ;)

1) The AEM uses ONLY the 'Engine Start' tables to get the car cranked, then switches to the 'Idle' tables, correct?

2) Does the 10-1130 AEM need to have the fuel resistor pack, or does it need to run the injectors directly?

3) Set of Delphi low imp 750cc injectors - which of the maps for the battery vs pw is going to be closest?

That should get most of the information I need. The manual is fairly unhelpful thus far :)

I can get the car fired up in Alpha-N mode, but I really want to get the speed density working ;) Going to work with the setup some more tonight, and hit the car again tomorrow!

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
Forgive me if I stumble through this but, I am pretty sure the aem uses the cranking map first then switches to the base map. If you change injectors you have to adjust the precentage for both. Second, I think that you still need the resister pack because the base program that came with it incorperates it, even though you can change your injector impedences with the wizzard. I am not sure about the third question, but switching to speed density or map based is very easy. The map sensor wizzard is very easy to set it up just go through the list. I hope this helps a little bit.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
doward

q #2. the unit is plug and play and as such, expexcts ALL the oem parts be in their respective place. Meaning, that the inline fuel injector resistor pack is needed or else, expect to fry the injector drivers with the AEM.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
figgie;1151638 said:
doward

q #2. the unit is plug and play and as such, expexcts ALL the oem parts be in their respective place. Meaning, that the inline fuel injector resistor pack is needed or else, expect to fry the injector drivers with the AEM.

No problem. It's just the battery volt vs inj pw wizard that's got me aggrevated - do I tell it yes, they are low ohm 750cc injectors, or are they high ohm, since that's what the AEM sees with the resistor pack in place?

I gotta say, I'm displeased with the AEM's software as well, compared to TunerPro, MegaTune, LS1Edit, HPTuners, WinTEC, and a couple of other tuning programs I've used over the years.

It seems AEMPro can't decide if it wants to give me simple 'wizard mode' where I don't get to see the settings, or 'here is 100% of what we can do mode' and give me every single last setting.

I'm confident we'll fire this thing back up again today, though :)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Make sure the resistor pack is in place if you are using low imp. injectors. If you want to know what happens if you dont use the resistor pack with those injectors, just ask funky_monkey. lol, the AEM will go up in smoke.

Also if using the AEM to control boost, look at GM boost solenoid, GM Part # 1997152 and the wire harness/pigtails is GM Part # 12102747.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Aww, the AEM will let the magic smoke out? :(

No problem, resistor pack is in place - I thought the AEM had the capability to directly drive the injectors, though?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^only if you use High imp. injecetors. But I am not in any way an expert on AEM EMS.
13.8 volts / 3.2 ohm = 4.3 amps
13.8 volts / 12 ohm = 1.1 amps
AEM has a max of 1.5 amps it can put out before magic smoke is found.
This was a short lesson learned from figgie, when funkey fried his EMU. Fig correct if wrong.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Doward;1151517 said:
3) Set of Delphi low imp 750cc injectors - which of the maps for the battery vs pw is going to be closest?

I was told on AEM forums to use battery offset table of your type injector with the closest impendance. I have TMS 780cc, same as Precision or Rochester. 780cc are not in the wizard list, so I choose Precision 1000cc, 2ohm injectors.
Surest way is to send injectors to AEM, they will test them for free

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92nsx;1151726 said:
^only if you use High imp. injecetors. But I am not in any way an expert on AEM EMS.
13.8 volts / 3.2 ohm = 4.3 amps
13.8 volts / 12 ohm = 1.1 amps
AEM has a max of 1.5 amps it can put out before magic smoke is found.
This was a short lesson learned from figgie, when funkey fried his EMU. Fig correct if wrong.

No You are correct.

Which reminds me, Why does the AEm give the option to select Impedance if in the end. It does not matter as low imp = insta-magic smoke?? :?:

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
What smoked? My guess would be the traces on the board. The FET should have been able to handle it, though GEMs/AEMs idea of heat sinking and the wiring for the FET's used for injectors is a joke.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
You select the correct injector/impedance in the AEM simply to select the proper injector latency curve. It has nothing to do with how the injector is actually driven.

I have actually seen AEM's run low impedance injectors directly without damage (though it is impossible to tune). I arrived overseas a few years ago to tune a running JDM Supra with AEM (plugs right in) but the car was impossible to get any sort of stable tune on. I discovered the JDM cars have no resistor pack stock. We wired a pack in and then did the tune and it all worked great. Not saying damage isn't possible, but it seems sometimes it self protects itself.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i got a question!
syncing the timing...i wanna make sure im doing it correctly. so i have a couple of questions.
where should the timing be at idle? i tried to set it for 10* but car isnt cranking over, cranks but it stutters. Wat i did...
1. make sure i had the ign. parameters
2. had the ign. set at 10* on the ign. map
3. opened set igniton and i advanced/retard it until the timing light showed the same, 10*

then i tried cranking it but had no luck...i then tried it setting it at 17* only because a friend has it set at 17 on this haltec, but the timing light was showing 0* at idle...BUT it cranked flawlessly....

any ideas?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Offhand, no idea. I'll think on it more later. I've been finding all kinds of little problems on Jeff's car, so we're fine-toothed-combing it :)

What we did on his ignition:
Start with the 30-1130 base map.
Verify all 3 coil packs are getting signal from the AEM (use the 4 pin connector that all 3 packs hook up to)
Set the motor BY HAND to #1 TDC, and verify timing marks on the cam gears and the harmonic balancer are pointing @ 0 on the timing markers.
Verify that the CPS is installed correctly (the two marks line up when you put it in)
Set your Ignition map to 10 across the board
Set your ignition parameter to 10
Go to Configure/ECU setup/Set Ignition
Set your timing light up and set by timing light to match up with the 10 you have in the Set Ignition variable

Verify SYNC comes on

You should be able to rock and roll from this point ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Offhand, no idea. I'll think on it more later. I've been finding all kinds of little problems on Jeff's car, so we're fine-toothed-combing it :)

What we did on his ignition:
Start with the 30-1130 base map.
Verify all 3 coil packs are getting signal from the AEM (use the 4 pin connector that all 3 packs hook up to)
Set the motor BY HAND to #1 TDC, and verify timing marks on the cam gears and the harmonic balancer are pointing @ 0 on the timing markers.
Verify that the CPS is installed correctly (the two marks line up when you put it in)
Set your Ignition map to 10 across the board
Set your ignition parameter to 10
Go to Configure/ECU setup/Set Ignition
Set your timing light up and set by timing light to match up with the 10 you have in the Set Ignition variable

Verify SYNC comes on

You should be able to rock and roll from this point ;)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
interesting...im pretty sure thats how we did it but i will try that again, should i be using fine or coarse ?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's on the laptop, but I should be able to get it over to you sometime this week.

You'll have to ask 7MBoost what his mods are :)