John Smith Group A supra at world time attack

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
[video=youtube;Qhwd1YypSaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhwd1YypSaM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;VhUqyj5UgUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUqyj5UgUw[/video]

justbeinfrank

Jul 6, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I remember watching these races it was what made me buy the supra. I wanted godzilla but since moving to the states that dream is gone with there high prices. I remember watching richards and skaife one two in the gtr's. Oh those where the day's

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
My left nut. Who do I have to give it to to sign up for this?

Suprapowaz!(2);1865416 said:
I like how they tied the intercooler pipes together so they don't pop off.
That is pretty clever indeed... may have to borrow that idea just in case. :)

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
te72;1865813 said:
My left nut. Who do I have to give it to to sign up for this?

That is pretty clever indeed... may have to borrow that idea just in case. :)

This is actually a must when running over 30psi and hitting curbs - any other solution would lead to hoses popping off sooner or later:)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LordDigital;1870625 said:
This is actually a must when running over 30psi and hitting curbs - any other solution would lead to hoses popping off sooner or later:)
When you say curbs, do you mean the red/white or blue/white spots at the edges of the track on some corners? If you're talking curb curbs, like what you find in neighborhoods and cities, I have to ask why you're hitting them...

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
te72;1870771 said:
When you say curbs, do you mean the red/white or blue/white spots at the edges of the track on some corners? If you're talking curb curbs, like what you find in neighborhoods and cities, I have to ask why you're hitting them...

Yes I meant the "race track curbs" usually located at corner turn in and apex points...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LordDigital;1870830 said:
Yes I meant the "race track curbs" usually located at corner turn in and apex points...
Does it just depend on the track that you're at, as far as smoothness? I have literally no real life experience on a track (other than a couple minor kart tracks as a kid), so Gran Turismo and Youtube are my only point of reference... seems to me though, that some tracks (Spa comes to mind) are REALLY rough on the curbs, which would encourage me to stay off them, while some tracks are nice and smooth.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
te72;1871106 said:
Does it just depend on the track that you're at, as far as smoothness? I have literally no real life experience on a track (other than a couple minor kart tracks as a kid), so Gran Turismo and Youtube are my only point of reference... seems to me though, that some tracks (Spa comes to mind) are REALLY rough on the curbs, which would encourage me to stay off them, while some tracks are nice and smooth.

That is correct ,different tracks will have more or less aggressive curbs. For example in my LDZ evolution Supra ,I tracked the car for 2 years going to 4 or 5 tracks with no problems ,then decided to go to a really old track in the area with very aggressive curbs - first time I cracked my 1JZ block and lost my serpentine belt ,second time on the track cracked my 2jz blocked and lost my belt again... finally got the A/C plate mod and never had issues again.

SPA is IMO the best track on earth ,not sure about their curbs but I hope to find out one day:) BTW in 88 ,89 and 90 the so called "MK3 Group A clash of the titans" happened on the Enduro races on SPA. The Factory Toyota team with cars similar to John's Supra could not beat the time set by a rather small private European team that had no factory backing whatsoever. Not only that but the Factory MKIII Supras were turbo and the European team was running N/A 7m-GE !!! TRD tried really hard by spending hundreds of thousands of dollars ,flying crew ,drivers and cars from Japan in 2 consecutive years ,but accomplished nothing other than proofing that their GroupA program was a total failure.