JL Audio's new sub! 2.5" mounting depth!

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
My problem with JL is that they tend to use cone matierials that absorb distortion noise. This tends to hide amp clipping so people tend to think the JL's sound louder than brand X on the same amp. The down side is that some that doesn't realize this will drive their amps deeper into distortion and is more likely to damage something.
Its a very good product but not the best value.

Earthquake and pioneer also offer shallow woofers. I don't know that I'm crazy about earthquake as a brand but they actually manufacture flat wofers for some BMW models. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069927_297394781,00.html
http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
Just going by the specs on these pages it looks like the JL's are the most innovative of the bunch. they should be able to handle alot of power but most likely at the expense of sensetivity. The earthquakes look like standard motor structures mounted to squashed baskets. So do the pioneers.
It looks like the the earthquakes have the best shot at getting real loud based on the Xmax numbers, but will likely need larger enclosures to do so.

Just my speculation anyway.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I'm sorry I had to be the first to step in and say this, but JL is NOT a "you get what you pay for" brand. You're paying for their name. Check out Image Dynamics subs, Hifonics brutus subs, TREO subs etc... At the same price point as a w7, these competitors offer a much higher quality subwoofer. [exit]

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
I'm sorry I had to be the first to step in and say this, but JL is NOT a "you get what you pay for" brand. You're paying for their name. Check out Image Dynamics subs, Hifonics brutus subs, TREO subs etc... At the same price point as a w7, these competitors offer a much higher quality subwoofer. [exit]

Maybe I'm out of touch with the car audio scene... from what I recall JL was one of the best subs, in nearly 1/2 of all competition vehicles....

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
I'm sorry I had to be the first to step in and say this, but JL is NOT a "you get what you pay for" brand. You're paying for their name.

You go! Fight the man, Don't give in to brand names! You statement sounds like most people I know that hate a brand simply because it has a popular name, not because of any hard information. JL audio built the name through a quality product, the name did not make them, this has not changed. JL audio is still ran in more than 1/2 of Sound quality oriented systems, and is still a fairly heavy hitter in the SPL arena. I'm not saying that JL is the begin all end all of car audio. But they do produce a quality product, dump tons of funding in to R&D, and have been an innovator on many levels, so I give credit where credit is do. And with JL you pay a little more for a quality product. It's a good trade off as there are much, much more expensive subs out there. But I wouldn't expect the majority of the MKIII community to understand paying a little more for something decent, as most of us are low ballers anyways. Cheap is never cheap enough is it?

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
wow..... yeah that is really a pretty rediculas claim, so a w7 is 550$ and for the money you can get a lot more shit.... quality however.... NO!
I had 2 12" infinity's 1400 watt subs with 900 watts to each.... it was loud as shit, then my friend shows up in his integra with a single custom W7 setup with the 1000-1 watt JL amp and put me to shame.

the sound quality was unbeatable and he hit 145 DB.

JL is quality shit.... for less money you can get a system that is very close but when you want to push it to the next level you will have to pay $$$.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You guys are all insane, Every JL system I have ever setup has had exceptional quality. Any time I have heard a poor quality JL system some moron had f***ed up the install. $550 for a setup that can seriously produce is not a lot of money. Back when Orion was the big dog on the block I spent $4000.00 on just two subs the custom box and an Orion Amp. JL does not ask a lot of money to play at the level they put you at.

Here is a review of the W6, and most extensive reviews seem to fall in line with this one.

http://www.xcs.no/index.php?artikkelid=156&back=1

Last edited:

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
dirgle said:
You go! Fight the man, Don't give in to brand names! You statement sounds like most people I know that hate a brand simply because it has a popular name, not because of any hard information. JL audio built the name through a quality product, the name did not make them, this has not changed. JL audio is still ran in more than 1/2 of Sound quality oriented systems, and is still a fairly heavy hitter in the SPL arena. I'm not saying that JL is the begin all end all of car audio. But they do produce a quality product, dump tons of funding in to R&D, and have been an innovator on many levels, so I give credit where credit is do. And with JL you pay a little more for a quality product. It's a good trade off as there are much, much more expensive subs out there. But I wouldn't expect the majority of the MKIII community to understand paying a little more for something decent, as most of us are low ballers anyways. Cheap is never cheap enough is it?
First off, no I'm not "fighting the man". JL is quality equipment, but it's not this super god of all that everyone thinks it is and I'm sick of hearing that. JL's subs are good equipment, but only fall into the "decent" range as far as bang for your buck goes. How have they been innovative? A 13.5" sub?--WHOO! Real innovative...:rollseyes: I, for one, DO understand the importance of quality equipment and have no problem paying a little more for it, but JL is NOT in my top list of things to buy. Just to clarify, I run a JL 10-w0-8 in my car right now, as it was free, so don't think I'm being a "hater" because I'm jealous or some b/s.

boostadikt said:
wow..... yeah that is really a pretty rediculas claim, so a w7 is 550$ and for the money you can get a lot more shit.... quality however.... NO!
I had 2 12" infinity's 1400 watt subs with 900 watts to each.... it was loud as shit, then my friend shows up in his integra with a single custom W7 setup with the 1000-1 watt JL amp and put me to shame.

the sound quality was unbeatable and he hit 145 DB.

JL is quality shit.... for less money you can get a system that is very close but when you want to push it to the next level you will have to pay $$$.
Where to start...hmm ok, when the hell have you seen a W7 for $550? Maybe an 8" lol. Next, your infinity's were NOT 1400w subs. Period. I don't care what model they were, they won't handle 1400 max even. SO, you're full of shit already. Furthermore, your friend was most likely using a 13w7, JL's flagship model, if he was running a 1000/1 amp. Lastly, he did NOT hit 145db with that thing either :rofl:

You guys all crack me up. When I get my TREO subs installed I'll let everyone come have a listen.
Future plans:
2 Treo 12" SSi subs
2 Zapco 750.1 amps
Treo 3-ways up front
Zapco 150.2 component amp

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I never did I say that they were "this super god of all ", I thought I made it clear the I thought they good but not the best. However I do believe that they are a quality product and you DO get what you pay for with them, so we'll just agree to disagree on that point.

Kicker comes out with the square sub, and everybody whoops and hollars. JL does a 13.5 in sub that out does the square sub of the same surface area and all you can do is roll your eyes?

JL came out with the Overroll, which is a pretty ingenious idea for dealing with extreamly long excursion.

JL designed the R.I.P.S. System so the amp doesn't care what ohm value speaker you hookup it will always put out the same amount of power.

JL was the first to move the spider further away from the frame and increased the spider diameter in order to increase the maximum possible excursion

In the late 70's JL was the first to market with reinforced cones, which has become standard in all subs today.

Those are just a few of them, I'm sure there are many more, even some small ones that not many of us think about. Yes JL is an innovator. They have helped move the industry forward to where it is today.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I'll give you the overroll and the R.I.P.S. system (didn't know it's name), those were both DAMN good ideas. The whole thing about kicker though, I didn't hoot and hollar at all; I think, and have expressed on this very website, that the idea for a square sub is...well inside the box (pun intended). It doesn't lend itself to a custom install, you get uneven area distrobution, etc...it's a plain ol' piece o' shit. JL's idea for a 13.5 inch sub was way better in design, but still wasn't all that great of an accomplishment: "Whoa! Let's make the cone area larger!!! BRILLIANT!!"

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
you're a Faggot! dont tell me im an idiot and tell me my infinity subs arent 1400 Watt subs because the are, THERE IS NO ARGUMENT about how I am full of shit THEY ARE WHAT THEY ARE.

And yeah he did hit 145 DB with it i was there and i watched the meter it was a full custom install done by car concept by where i live, that cost him just under 4000$

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIT....... i love ass holes like you that argue FACTS over the internet because they dont have the balls to admit their wrong and they have been proven wrong, But the only way you see out of it is to keep acting like an ass and argue your Opinion with nothing to back it up.

You are entitled to your own opinion, and can say that JL is not for you and you would prefer another sub..... THATS FINE, I will Respect your opinion..... But the second you tell me i am full of shit and i don't know what im talking about Is when you cross the line.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
{edit}HAH! Nice edit ;){\edit}

There's a much better way to go about things on the internet than calling people a fucking retard.

What he was refering to, in regards to your subs not being 1400 watts, is the type of power rating.

Most companies like to advertise maximum power output because its a higher number and kids go crazy over high numbers. For an example, your 1400 watt Infinity subs.

The only number that people in the profession care about, or the only number that really matters, is the RMS rating. If you claim that your subs are 1400 watts RMS then you need to back it up, but I've never seen an infinity sub that's 700 watts RMS by itself. Then again I've never dealt with Infinity Perfect speakers/subwoofers as there's MUCH MUCH better products out there for alot cheaper.

That's all :)

Oh yeah....

JL AUDIO FUCKING RULES! (at 70% off ;))
boostadikt said:
you're a fucking retard! dont tell me im an idiot and tell me my infinity subs arent 1400 Watt subs because the are, THERE IS NO ARGUMENT about how I am full of shit THEY ARE WHAT THEY ARE.

And yeah he did hit 145 DB with it i was there and i watched the meter it was a full custom install done by car concept by where i live, that cost him just under 4000$

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIT....... i love ass holes like you that argue FACTS over the internet because they dont have the balls to admit their wrong and they have been proven wrong, But the only way you see out of it is to keep acting like an ass and argue your Opinion with nothing to back it up.

You are entitled to your own opinion and can say that JL is not for you and you would prefer another sub..... THATS FINE, I will Respect your opinion..... But the second you tell me i am full of shit and i don't know what im talking about Is when you cross the line.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
i LOVE infinity, but that is my personal preference because they are resonably cheap and i think the sound quality is excelent.

And yes i know what Root Mean Square is. and i while the infinity subs are only 400 Watts RMS, like i said i was throwing 900 watts @ 2 Ohms RMS at each of them and it sounded great

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Well justin thanks for the input while I was away :icon_razz:

Infinity makes good shit for the price, don't get me wrong, but like Justin said, I was referring to 1400w rms. I pay no attention to max power ratings, as they're bull shit in every respect. In reference to your putting 900w to a 400w sub, I wouldn't consider it a good idea, but hey, if it sounded good it sounded good.

Hey J--where you gettin JL shit at 70% off? At that price I wouldn't mind pickin up a couple 1000/1's myself!!
I still don't beleive the 145 on a single 13w7, but I guess it's possible. :dunno:

Lastly, don't call me an ass hole, because like you said, I'm arguing FACTS. Being in the profession, that's all I care about in regards to I.C.E., FACTS. If I riled your feathers, I appoligize, but honestly, the "faggot" comment was highly unnecessary.