JL Audio's new sub! 2.5" mounting depth!

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
BorHor said:
Pioneer has a similar sub that has been out for some time. It can be found for under $100 on ebay. iirc chriso has on in his car, he put it right on top of the spare tire on the ply wood.
Yup, sounds and works great. Look for the "shalow mount" subs on EBAY.

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
being a custom audio installer i can tell u that these "thin subwoofers" DO NOT hit as hard as u may think!

i installed a Pioneer "thin 12 inch sub" a few weeks ago and that thing hit like a baby locked in the trunk!!! TERRIBLE!!

careful what u get until u try it. i havnt heard the JL one yet but from my experience with these thin subs is a very big thumbs down.

as they say... "GO BIG OR GO HOME!" :naughty:

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I knew a guy who used 2 of the 12" thin pioneer subs in his truck and they sounded fantastic which is why I bought a pair but haven't installed yet. I'm not looking for a "150db shake the earth, look at me I'm a pimp" setup. I just want something that has good output and a flat response all the way down to 20Hz.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
born2drv said:
I knew a guy who used 2 of the 12" thin pioneer subs in his truck and they sounded fantastic which is why I bought a pair but haven't installed yet. I'm not looking for a "150db shake the earth, look at me I'm a pimp" setup. I just want something that has good output and a flat response all the way down to 20Hz.

I would have to agree. I'm not looking for the huge hit of bass like maybe Nick was talking about or that he is familiar with. I just want something thin that will hit decent and still be able to fit my targa in the hatch with a spare tire. I think that is bad ass. Cause while everyone is going BIG on the subwoofer on the side of the road with a flat tire, I'll be rollin' on by and going home to my 7.1 Home Theater full Dolby Digital/DTS system on Martin Logans that blow everything out of the water in the car and pretty much at home. haha.

mfnmk3

-
Feb 26, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
One more option for the thin subwoofers is the Blaupunkt ODw10HP or 12HP. I'm not sure when Pioneer's thin-line came out, but I think these came out around '03. I've kind-of been waiting for JL or some other prominent American audio company to make one of these, and hopefully less expensive. I think these were around 250 or 300, but are kind-of hard to find too.

http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7606200282_main.asp

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Thin subs aren't the only option in our cars, you have to realize that if you're going to the trouble of a custom enclosure, it's easy enough to make it fit where you want it. So many people try to cram too much speaker into not enough enclosure and it ends up sounding crappy. I've heard a single eight inch sub pound harder than a 12, it's just all in the enclosure design and installation.

I have some experience with the W7's, and in my opinion they sound too breathy. i.e. moving more air than it was making sound. It could've just been the enclosure, but I'm pretty positive they designed it to spec. I've heard, but can't confirm, that the W6's sound better in many people's opinions. For the money you'll spend on a W7 you can get a handbuilt and top notch Digital Designs sub that will literally blow just about anything out of the water. Never have I heard subs sound so clean at any volume level as I have with DD subs. Do your research and find out what best fits your needs, it may be something as simple as an infinity basslink that just drops right in.

Just to rub it in, I've got a hardtop, so I get to put crap all over the place :p

Still dirty, all of the trim panels and tuning will be finished tomorrow, then some proper pictures will be taken.

p608811_1.jpg

p608811_2.jpg

p608811_3.jpg