Jimi's build update

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ben:
Thanks, I'm always glad when I get back to the supra. I see you are selling your beast, too bad.

sirgeorgee:
Thanks, I hope I inspire people to think outside the box a little.

Chris:
I will get as many pics as I can ;) It would be nice to own my own camera though.

Ken:
Thanks for the words, I like your new sup, looks clean!

SURUKO:
Thanks!

Crazy_Tycoon:
Thanks!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
jimi87-t;1262069 said:
Ben:
Thanks, I'm always glad when I get back to the supra. I see you are selling your beast, too bad.

ya, im not motivated to sell it at all, mainly did it to appease my dad, hes been annoyed with the car lately.

bout to go 1.5JZ this weekend on it.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ben: Glad you're not selling it, how many swaps are you going to do to that car!

Well I got my new MHG (HKS) in the mail today, and now that my brain is getting back into the supra, a few question have popped into my head.

EDIT: Found the problem read my next post, so don't mind whats in small print:
If JARCO did not prep the surface (as far as the RA) well enough this also could have aided in the failure, right? Would the MHG have lasted till about 2K until failure if it wasn't prepped properly?
So, back when I first got the engine done I called and talked to HKS about their stopper gasket and they told me that "the RA just needs to be to stock spec", whatever the toyo stock spec is- I have no clue.
So, when I pull the head, is there anyway to test the RA? I use to test for RA on aircraft parts but we had this machine that scribed the surface and spit out an RA reading, but I of course don't own one of these, so how would I test it?
Also, if I do find the RA is not good enough for a MHG, what is the best non-MHG out there?

The last HG was torqued to 90ftlbs, is that what I should do this one to also, I have ARP head studs.

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well, I found the problem.....didn't take me long digging into it to find out what it was.
JARCO did not deck the timing cover with the block....big shocker there...fucking twats!! There is a good 0.25-0.5mm difference between the two.
So I can't just throw a new HG on dam it. So now I must decide what to do.

Anyone have a low mileage built gte for sale :naughty:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well I decided to machine the surface down, and give this engine one more chance, that is unless I find someone selling a built long block ;)

Another thing I found is, I think my injectors were leaking (stock 440s), a few of the short runners have a brownish oily residue in the inside, looks like fuel was just sitting in a few of the runners.
So, I have new RC 550s a Walbro and FPR just setting in my closet, can I run these with the stock set-up until I get around to installing my MAFT-Pro?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Alright, so I got the decking surface of the cover machined down level with the block. It ended up being 0.253mm taller than the block. Also, JARCO left the "bad" rivet in the MHG :3d_frown: which added to the problem.

So, I decided to lap the block and head. I only have the block done so far, I spent a little over 2 hours on it.
This is were I need you guys help, I have never lapped for a MHG before, nor have I seen what it should look like after lapping. So I took some pics. Please let me know what you think. It does look a lot better than the surface that JARCO had on it.

Click link for full size image:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE6.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE7.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE5.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jimi87-t;1263300 said:
Well, I found the problem.....didn't take me long digging into it to find out what it was.
JARCO did not deck the timing cover with the block....big shocker there...fucking twats!! There is a good 0.25-0.5mm difference between the two.
So I can't just throw a new HG on dam it. So now I must decide what to do.

Anyone have a low mileage built gte for sale :naughty:
That sucks! Those bastards!
jimi87-t;1264219 said:
Well I decided to machine the surface down, and give this engine one more chance, that is unless I find someone selling a built long block ;)
I think machining it down would work fine, so long as it's done properly.

jimi87-t said:
Another thing I found is, I think my injectors were leaking (stock 440s), a few of the short runners have a brownish oily residue in the inside, looks like fuel was just sitting in a few of the runners.
So, I have new RC 550s a Walbro and FPR just setting in my closet, can I run these with the stock set-up until I get around to installing my MAFT-Pro?
With a stock AFM, you'll be running very, very rich. Likely too rich to tune out with an AFPR. You'd likely be causing the injector spray pattern to suffer quite a bit by dropping pressure.
jimi87-t;1268111 said:
Alright, so I got the decking surface of the cover machined down level with the block. It ended up being 0.253mm taller than the block. Also, JARCO left the "bad" rivet in the MHG :3d_frown: which added to the problem.

So, I decided to lap the block and head. I only have the block done so far, I spent a little over 2 hours on it.
This is were I need you guys help, I have never lapped for a MHG before, nor have I seen what it should look like after lapping. So I took some pics. Please let me know what you think. It does look a lot better than the surface that JARCO had on it.

Click link for full size image:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE6.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE7.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jimichonga/JLE5.jpg
Ugh, that's pretty damn terrible. :(

As for your lapping job. It looks good to me, but that last pic brings a slight amount of doubt for me. It almost looks like I can see cross-hatching in there. Hopefully someone that's more knowledgeable than me will chime in. :)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the info Chris!
I asked Ian to take a look and he said it looks ok. So I did the head yesterday, and it only took about 1/3 the time, being aluminum and all (;

As for the injectors, I figured that was the case Chris, I guess I'm in the market for some new stock ones. Toyo wanted $1200 for new ones :icon_lol: yeah..ok..
Autozone has some Gp-Sorensen injectors for $99 each, anyone know anything about these? I looked at RCs web page and they do not list any "peak-hold" 440s.

I want to get her up and running good before I try turning up the boost, so the MAFT setup will have to wait.

The head will go back on after I get my new EGR cooler gasket in from Toyo. I had EGR bypassed, but now as you guys have read, I'm putting an all new EGR system back on, so now I need that gasket.

This weekend I guess I'll be figuring out how to plumb the EGR into the FFIM, just behind the TB for even distribution. That will be a challenge, as the piping will be hot, and running under the mani where a lot of wiring and vac lines are.

fun fun......

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
OK Ben here it is ;)

Well I finally got around to getting my own digital cam, so now I can get more pics as I go.

I got the head back on a couple weeks ago, and have been taking my time at getting the EGR plumbed, some of that was because I was waiting on parts.
But, tonight I finally got the EGR setup done, and it was not as simple as it looks. I still have a lot more to put back together, but I wanted to get some pics up.

Not too much to describe, as I think the pics speak for themselves, if you have questions just ask ;).
I used 1/2 inch tube, -8 AN and 1/2 inch fittings. And tapped the TB on the plenum side of the throttle plate. I also made a small heat shield to help protect the fuel line from the EGR valve.

p1283070_1.jpg

p1283070_2.jpg

p1283070_3.jpg

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
very nice Jimi!

too bad you need that up there tho

and hey, weve got two more big meets coming up this year here in DFW, you should check the local board for whats happening, maybe you could make it. we havent seen ya in forever

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ben, I would love to come down for a meet, we will have to see if I can make time.

I didn't put EGR back on due to me being here in CO. My EGTs would spike around 1300 in DFW also. Most people that have removed EGR and aren't running a stand-alone will hit these numbers also. But most are not monitoring their EGTs (or they have their probe in the wrong location). There are a few threads around here talking about this.

BTW, EGR was developed to help combat detonation in boosted engines.
A side benefit is reduced emissions. Most people think EGR is a pointless emission control item.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Not too much to post right now, I did redo my PCV set-up, pics will come when I get it all cleaned up.
But this weekend I got my last 2 days in on the slopes, so I figured I would snap some pics of the Rover in its element....the snow.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
nerfkhat: yeah it was a good weekend, but now it is warming up.....

Here is my new PCV piping, it is 8 -AN and 1/2" fittings with 1/2" tubing (just like the EGR set-up).

I don't have much left to put back together, but it will still be a few weeks before I fire it up. I still need to send off my injectors to have them cleaned and tested.
Also I think I want to drop the alt down to where the A/C compressor was. My thought is that with the alt down out of the way, it will open up airspace to help flow more air from the radiator out the new hood vents.?? I don't know if it will make a difference or not, but it looks as though it would.

It is still a little dirty, and I have fingerprints on EVERYTHING :icon_razz
So I will polish it all back up after it's running again.

p1291068_1.jpg

p1291068_2.jpg

p1291068_3.jpg

p1291068_4.jpg

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
thats frickin cool jimi, very unique

howd u get the two lines to fit into the one thingy (using my technical terms here)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ian: Thanks, thought I would change it up a bit to match the EGR piping ;)

Ben: Thanks, I used a big fucking hammer!
Haha, I cut down the two pipes where they meet and welded them together to funnel into one pipe end. Does that make any since? Think of the way two exhaust pipes would flow out of one pipe.