JFG121 MKIII Build up

jfg121

wating for tuner
Jun 5, 2008
Johannesburg
Just joined the forum and thought that it would be prudent to introduce myself. I am a little new to Supras, but will need to pick up the slack as I just bought a 1988 MKIII N/A with a T26. Whoever did this mod, did a poor job and I will be rebuilding the car with a 7MGTE Engine, but still using the W58 transmission.

Otherwise, I live in South Africa, which does not have very many Supras and therefore will need to import most of my parts from the US. Not a big problem as I am from the States originally. At the moment, I am shopping for HKS CAMP parts. Will be in touch to see if any one knows where to get some.

I can help any one, please feel free to contact me. I will not be too much help with Supras, but can recommend some great holidays in SA.

Cheers,

jfg121

wating for tuner
Jun 5, 2008
Johannesburg
As for seeing many MKIIIs on the road, never have. Probably less than 20 in the country as they never came here. People had to import them from Japan or the UK. There are a few MKIVs in the country, but have seen about 3 in person. I ran into this supra by chance and got it for a good price. The average Joe does not know what they are. I knew the engine was stuffed, but assumed that I could rebuild it or buy a new one. I met a mechanic out here that knows the 7MGTE engine really well. He installs them into pick-up trucks as a conversion....pretty funny stuff, but people love them out here. He is the guy that will be doing my work for me as I don't have a shop only a garage with basic tools.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Nice Nice and welcome, this thread needs pics.

P.S. is there a giant alien space craft floating above your head? Just Kidding.

jfg121

wating for tuner
Jun 5, 2008
Johannesburg
Alright, here are some pics, but they are from when I 1st bought the car. I have not done too much in the last month that is visible, so will just post the pictures of my rough MKIII. Take a close look at the engine, it will really boogle the mind. Don't worry, I will be scrapping that whole mess. I am surprised that the engine will turn over at all. It probably produces about 15bhp as it will barely go up the drive way. The AFM is broken, so it is running really rich.

The last owner of the NA supra put a turbo on it about 10 years ago and did a very poor job. There is no IC, nor is the ECU from a turbo engine and the AFM is also not from a turbo engine. As I stated in my previous post, this engine will be scrapped. My goal is to build a car that is reliable, yet still has a bit more power than a stock turbo 7m-gte. Shooting for 250bhp at the wheels. I will only be pushing .7 bar.

I (well my mechanic) will be doing the following: Replacing the ECU with a Dicktator engine management system, replacing the whole engine with an imported engine, then placing the head gaskets and skimming the head. We will ensure the right pressure is applied. The turbo intake impeller will be replacing with a 4 blade. The AFM will be scrapped as the new ECU will fix that issue. The Air intake box will be replaced. The down pipe and exhaust will be replaced with a 3 inch pipe / free flow exhaust. The air intake manifold will be replace with a FFMI (I think this is the right term...stating that the intake will no longer cross over the engine) and lastly an intercooler will be added. Oh, forgot about the upgraded clutch.

I am also putting in a HKS C.A.M.P. unit to monitor the engine. If anyone wants to sell CAMP components please contact me, as I need a few more.

I know this sounds like a lot for the little bit of power that I will be getting out of it, but want everything to flow well, so I can push more power once this is not my everyday c

Enjoy the pics.

media3.jpg

media.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

jfg121

wating for tuner
Jun 5, 2008
Johannesburg
As I could not figure out how to convert my welcome thread to a build thread I have reposted the above posts. Since my last post, I have seized my car from the mechanic that was doing the engine swap as it had taken him 6 months, and not much was done. I had the car towed to my house. Upon inspection, I noticed how many new scratches, cigarette burns, and stains have been made. The work that was done appeared alright, but I would not know until it was done.

I shopped around for a new mechanic / tuner and decided to go with a guy who was highly recommended by a work colleague. He pointed out many issue with the work that was done by the previous mechanic. All said and done, he completed the work.
I received my car back from my new tuner, and the 7mgte with stock ct26 all installed and pushing .6 bar. The rear tire hp was 200, which is what it should do brand new out of the box, so for the most part i was happy. I drove it for 200km and then the turbo blew. I was rather pissed as the turbo was supposedly reconditioned by the previous mechanic, but looks like he did not balance it. IF YOU LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA, NEVER EVER USE SUPRATECH!!!!! (That was the previous mechanic) With that said i will be buying a new Garrett GT3076R. I will not be upgrading the injectors, so will not be pushing more than .8 bar. I have posted a picture of my engine with the work that was done by Supratech although it will change drastically once my new Turner (The Machining Man) Gary Law) is done with it.
Enjoy
DSCN0007.jpg

Last edited:

jfg121

wating for tuner
Jun 5, 2008
Johannesburg
tlo86;1390379 said:
no filter or anything?

tlo86, Once I received the car back from the 1st Mechanic (jack @ss), that is how it came to me. The new turner, sorted out everything, but I don't have a picture. So in short, I did have a filter and everything was done 100%right. I should be getting my car back soon, maybe today. Will snap a few pictures then.

Cheers,