Jeff's 1992 Toyota Hilux Xtra Cab Project (56K Death)

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
With the most difficult part of the swap being the wiring, and that being easy for you, it should be a smooth install.

I have a '91 X-cab that is my dedicated trail rig that I plan to swap the 22re out for the 7m at some point in the future. I drive to the trail and when loaded down with gear the 22re can barely get out of its own way, kind of like the 3.0 when mated to an auto trans.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
lewis15498;1750466 said:
I have a 7MGTE laying around and I had considered it, but its a long engine to try and fit in the trucks short engine bay. Also trying to fit an intercooler in there, it would be tight, as well as I would be worried about overheating with no room for a good fan.

Starting with the 3VZ, the 5VZ will bolt right in. The 5VZ also comes with a MHG. If I went the 7M route I would need to fab new engine mounts. Overall the 5VZ just seemed like the easier, more simple, and relable option. However the 7M is also a great Choice. I may have gone the 7M route or maybe a diesel route if the truck started its life with a 22R.

I didn't have to fab engine mounts for mine, just 10mm plate with flush welded bolts. But it is a tight fit although I have seen them in your model without going to the extent of doing what I had to do to mine. It's alot of fun to drive, but it was a nightmare to build. Yours is coming up great btw, should be good once it's done

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
CATarga;1750503 said:
With the most difficult part of the swap being the wiring, and that being easy for you, it should be a smooth install.

I have a '91 X-cab that is my dedicated trail rig that I plan to swap the 22re out for the 7m at some point in the future. I drive to the trail and when loaded down with gear the 22re can barely get out of its own way, kind of like the 3.0 when mated to an auto trans.

Yeh the 22R, as durable as it may be, doesn't put down the power, especially with larger tires if not regeared. The 7M will be nice once you get it in there. I would reccomend you use an R150 or R150 trans, but you're gonna have to make a custom bellhousing, by cutting the trans bellhousing and a 7M bellhousing and having them welded together. Good luck with it, I'd love to see pics!

Chello;1750507 said:
I didn't have to fab engine mounts for mine, just 10mm plate with flush welded bolts. But it is a tight fit although I have seen them in your model without going to the extent of doing what I had to do to mine. It's alot of fun to drive, but it was a nightmare to build. Yours is coming up great btw, should be good once it's done

Yeah the swap is doable, I've seen them too, but like you said its a tight fit, and I have fat man hands lol. Thanks for the kind words, your truck is coming along great as well!

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I'm 99% sure that the later model R series 4x4 trans have a longer input shaft so can be used with a standard bellhousing from a r154 behind a 7m.
I'm also pretty sure that if you can find a bellhousing that is for a w58 gearbox for a 7m, the g52 series box which is the standard box for most 80's and early 90's 4x4's, has the same pattern on the gearbox side aswell.
Just food for thought if you decide to purchase a a R series 4x4 box

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
CATarga;1750503 said:

Chello;1750507 said:

Chello;1750626 said:
I'm 99% sure that the later model R series 4x4 trans have a longer input shaft so can be used with a standard bellhousing from a r154 behind a 7m.
I'm also pretty sure that if you can find a bellhousing that is for a w58 gearbox for a 7m, the g52 series box which is the standard box for most 80's and early 90's 4x4's, has the same pattern on the gearbox side aswell.
Just food for thought if you decide to purchase a a R series 4x4 box

IIRC theres a 30mm difference in length between the 7M and 3VZ/5VZ bellhousing. You have to modify a bellhousing to compensate for this.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
lewis15498;1750549 said:
Yeh the 22R, as durable as it may be, doesn't put down the power, especially with larger tires if not regeared. The 7M will be nice once you get it in there. I would reccomend you use an R150 or R150 trans, but you're gonna have to make a custom bellhousing, by cutting the trans bellhousing and a 7M bellhousing and having them welded together. Good luck with it, I'd love to see pics.

Here is a pic of my '91 X-cab. It has been regeared and I built everything to be as light as possible, but w/gear the 22re(4k on fresh rebuild) struggles in the mountains where my 3.0 '90 doesn't. It isn't all that bad since I don't have to drive it daily or more than about 100 miles to a trail, and I wouldn't have even considered the 7m until I started restoring my '87. Unfortunately I will have to stick with the 22re for a while, I have 3 other project vehicles ahead of it.

Last edited:

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
CATarga;1750745 said:
Here is a pic of my '91 X-cab. It has been regeared and I built everything to be as light as possible, but w/gear the 22re(4k on fresh rebuild) struggles in the mountains where my 3.0 '90 doesn't. It isn't all that bad since I don't have to drive it daily or more than about 100 miles to a trail, and I wouldn't have even considered the 7m until I started restoring my '87. Unfortunately I will have to stick with the 22re for a while, I have 3 other project vehicles ahead of it.

thats a nice looking trail truck, and how do you like them baja claws? i loved them on my truck

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
lewis15498;1750660 said:
IIRC theres a 30mm difference in length between the 7M and 3VZ/5VZ bellhousing. You have to modify a bellhousing to compensate for this.

The input shaft on an early model r150f trans is 30mm too short to suit the 7mgte bellhousing from a r154 gearbox. But the later model hilux r150f's and r151f's gearbox's which are 99 and up IIRC have 30mm longer input shafts, which is what I was getting at earlier. I have the earlier in mine which is why the bellhousing is butchered :p

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

CATarga;1750751 said:
If you are interested, here is link to all the Toyota transmissions that are/were available for trucks.

Great link, thanks for that, tough truck aswell

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Chello;1750787 said:
The input shaft on an early model r150f trans is 30mm too short to suit the 7mgte bellhousing from a r154 gearbox. But the later model hilux r150f's and r151f's gearbox's which are 99 and up IIRC have 30mm longer input shafts, which is what I was getting at earlier. I have the earlier in mine which is why the bellhousing is butchered

Just realizing you are in Aust. We here in the U.S lost the r series in with the end of the 1st gen Tacoma with the 3.4. The 4 cyl. that replaced the 22re, used a w59. I guess Toyota figured since the U.S. didn't use the Hilux like the rest of the world, it didn't need to be built as tough, and detuned it with the Tacoma.

Do you still get the Hilux w/a straight axle or the first generation IFS(torsion bars, not coil springs)?

Pokey2301;1750763 said:
thats a nice looking trail truck, and how do you like them baja claws? i loved them on my truck
The tires are Procomp Xterrains, same lug style as the claws. In the rocks and the snow they work quite well, but are too soft for anything that is goimng to see daily driving miles. Before the Xterrains I was running the BFG MT's in the past and like the Xterrains better. Did the baja claws wear well or fast?

For my '90 I run the BFG AT's for both trail and street. I used to wheel it all the time, but since building the '91 it is used either as a daily or for expedition type trips.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
CATarga;1751232 said:
Just realizing you are in Aust. We here in the U.S lost the r series in with the end of the 1st gen Tacoma with the 3.4. The 4 cyl. that replaced the 22re, used a w59. I guess Toyota figured since the U.S. didn't use the Hilux like the rest of the world, it didn't need to be built as tough, and detuned it with the Tacoma.

Do you still get the Hilux w/a straight axle or the first generation IFS(torsion bars, not coil springs)?

I know the 2003 Hilux turbo diesel 4x4 has IFS torsion bar front as one of my brothers has one, has the r151f trans. My other brother has a 2010 turbo diesel 4x4 Hilux, which is coil sprung on the front

Last edited:

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Sorry for the lack of activity, I've been really busy lately. Had alot of work, and the hurricaine made a real mess on some of my clients' properties. My tarp shed, as well as the neighbors batting cage, (seen in day 1 photos) were both hit with trees. You can actually see the damaged cage in the background of one of the photos below. Anyways, heres where I am right now, day 8 was actually spread across 4 days, whenever I had a spare moment, probably totaling at 8-10 hours of actual work.

Day 8
Project started to hit a snag as I found the suspension didnt have much intrest in coming apart easily. After hours of struggling and trying everything else, I finally had to torch 2 of the cam bolts on the LCAs as well as the shackles in the rear. Unfortunately, I nipped the LCA mount on the drivers side with the torch, so there will have to be some welding work there. Now that I'm passed this painful stage, I can repair any damage to the frame, clean it up, paint it and start putting things back together.

day8001.jpg

day8002.jpg

day8003.jpg

day8004.jpg

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
CATarga;1751232 said:

The tires are Procomp Xterrains, same lug style as the claws. In the rocks and the snow they work quite well, but are too soft for anything that is goimng to see daily driving miles. Before the Xterrains I was running the BFG MT's in the past and like the Xterrains better. Did the baja claws wear well or fast?

For my '90 I run the BFG AT's for both trail and street. I used to wheel it all the time, but since building the '91 it is used either as a daily or for expedition type trips.

i liked them alot! it got my truck anywhere i wanted to take it. for the wear, they werent that bad for daily driving, they didnt wear fast at all and they had a nice hum just driving around but not too bad.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Great weather this weekend, made some real progress!

Day 9

Started stripping down the frame. The deterioration of the round crossmember became increasingly apparent. Did the bed portion of the frame. Decided to skip the bottom, then flip the frame over and do the bottom after. Pics were taken the following morning so you can see some surface rust here and there. Ill go over everything again real quick before I prep for paint.

day9001.jpg

day9002.jpg

day9003.jpg

Also welded up some damage to the upper control arm from the torch. I had cut through the top layer next to a couple of the bolt holes accidently when I cut off the balljoint bolts. Learned from my mistake and didnt use the torch on the other side. Fortunately after repairing it, you cant even tell where the damage was.

day9004.jpg

day9005.jpg

day9006.jpg

Disconnected the tie rods and separated the CV axles from the front axle. Not sure why I thought dropping the front end in one piece was a good idea, but it wasn't. Problem solved though.

day9007.jpg

Day 10

Finished stripping the top and sides of the frame. Found a few bad welds on the frame and welded over them. Flipped the frame over so the bottom side can get the same treatment. The best method would probably be just have a few friends over, but if you're not in the mood to wait like I was, the frame can be turned over using a come-along in 5 minutes or so with a strategically placed tree.

Lifting it back up can be done with a ladder and a couple 2x4's, but it may be a good idea to have a second person around just in case something goes wrong.

day10001.jpg

day10002.jpg

day10003.jpg

day10004.jpg

day10005.jpg

day10006.jpg

day10007.jpg

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Chello;1760369 said:
Damn, coming along nicely. Put some serious work into it.

Have you considered going with a solid axle in the front or keeping it IFS?

Thanks man, I want it to last so I'm avoiding cutting corners with it.

As far as the front end goes, its gonna remain IFS, at least for the foreseeable future. Its going to spend most of its time on pavement, and the occasional trail riding, nothing that would neccesitate a solid axle. Plus I just dont have the budget right now.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Thats a lot of painstaking work right there.... props to you for taking it on.
When i did my rear subframe on the supra i just brought it to general sandblasting and had them blast it down. It did cost a bit more than doing it myself but it made things sooo much easier.

Shoot me a txt next time you're working on the truck for a couple hrs and ill come down and help out, and pull that rear end.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks Rick! Its not gonna be perfect but according to Eastwood the only prep neccesary for the Rust Encapsulator paint is wire brush/acetone wipedown so this shoud be overkill by their standards. I'll shoot you a text about this weekend when I figure out what I'm doing.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Day 11: Crossmember Replacement

After cleaning up the tubular crossmember it was obvious that it was rotted so badly, its structural integrity had been completely comprimised. Looking at it made me sick and I couldnt put the truck back together without addressing it. This post will be in a "how to" format, to aide others with this problem.

day11001.jpg

Materials Used:
1 1/4" Blackened Steel pipe, Has an OD just under 1 3/4" ($23 for 10 ft)
Welding wire ($5-10)

Tools used:
Dremel
Drill with 1 3/4" hole saw
Sawzall with metal blade
Chipping hammer + framing hammer

Not Shown:
Mig Welder
Angle grinder

day11002.jpg

Before you get overzealous and cut the old crossmember out, take some measurements of the gas tank bracket, so you will know exactly where it needs to be when you reinstall it. Try not to measure from welded edges as they will likely get cut when you are removing it from the old crossmember. This will save you alot of headaches later in the job.

Sawzall the crossmember off near the frame on both sides. You can see after I cut one side, the crossmember snapped just from me leaning on it.

day11003.jpg

day11004.jpg

Grind the pipe that goes through the frame down until you have solid metal all the way around. Clearance the inside of the pipe so that the blackened steel pipe will slide inside it. The hole saw proved ineffective, the dremel was helpful, but I found the best method was to use a chipping hammer or chisel, and then striking it with another hammer. An air chisel would probably be easier. Chipping off the scale inside the pipe will likely provide sufficient clearance. If you dont have scale, you probably dont need to replace the crossmember.

Now that the pipe is clearanced its a good idea to treat the rust, as you will not have another chance to do this. I stuffed a sponge saturated in eastwood fast etch and let it sit for an hour or so to attack the rust, then after it dried sprayed it with eastwood internal frame coating. I was very pleased with the results.

day11005.jpg

day11006.jpg

Now slide your new pipe through the old pipes going through the frame. If it is a tight fit, feel free to persuade it with a sledge hammer.

day11007.jpg

Weld your new crossmember into place. Weld all the way around the pipe on both the inside and outside of the frame on both sides. Trim excess pipe off the ends, otherwise you may have clearance issues with the rear tires.

day11008.jpg

day11009.jpg

Next cut the gas tank bracket off of the old crossmember. I used a grinder to do this, but it doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as you do not damage the bracket.

day11010.jpg

Using the measurements you took earlier, determine where the gas tank bracket must be. TACK weld the bracket in place. The welds should hold the bracket sturdy, but can be easily broken off with a few hammer blows. Keep in mind the new pipe is smaller, so try to maintain roughly an 1/8" gap between the bracket and pipe.

day11011.jpg

Now that the bracket is tacked in place, grab your gas tank and test fit it. Make sure all 6 bolt holes line up at the same time. If your measurements are good, you should be spot on. If not, make adjustments accordingly. Do not skip this step! If you weld the bracket completely then find out your measurements were off, you are going to have a major headache on your hands.

day11012.jpg

Now that you Have test fitted your gas tank, you can remove the tank and weld the bracket in place. I plan to coat the inside of the pipe with internal frame coating and paint the outside with rust encapsulator. Be sure to strip off the black with acetone before painting. I am heasitant to cap the ends of the pipe, as the old pipe was capped with rubber plugs and rotted from the inside out. If you do not cap the ends be sure to wash the pipe out with a hose from time to time.

day11013.jpg

Day 12: Frame Painting

To prep for paint, I ran over everything again with a wire wheel, then wiped it down with acetone. FUN FACT: Acetone will eat through nitrile gloves! Be sure that your gloves are latex based. I figured this one out the hard way.

Before painting I coated the inside of the frame with Eastwood internal frame coat. I used three cans and was very pleased with the results. Its very messy so I reccomend you do it before painting the outside of the frame.

I laid down the first coat covering the underside of the frame, down the sides about an inch or so, and everything that I would struggle to paint after the frame is flipped over. The second coat I went over everything that was facing up or on the sides. (Essentially everything but the top side of the frame).

I let the paint dry overnight then flipped the frame over, wire wheeled and cleaned the top with acetone. Then painting, the first coat I covered anything that wasnt painted. The second coat I went over the top and sides. The end result was a minimum of 2 coats over everything. Its not perfect, but as good as you can expect to get. I am pleased with the results.

day12001.jpg

day12002.jpg

day12003.jpg

day12004.jpg

day12005.jpg

day12006.jpg