jdm motor or used 7mgte???

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
Im gonna be going to school soon for automotive and I would like to get an engine to work on while there. Would it be better to get a used 7mgte or jdm 7mgte? What would be the better choice? Also what should I look for when searching for them? Any help would be great.
Thanks

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
yayfish24;1130164 said:
I thought there was some sort of difference between the two of them?

JDM motors dont have the EGR equipment and some other minor stuff, the oil pressure sending unit is different and will have to swapped to USDM type. other than that not much is different, hoses going the other direction

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
Where would be the est place to find a motor? I know a friend of mine who had a supra said he could never find any in the junk yards around here. Would it be a good idea to order on online? If so do u know of a good place to get one?

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Check the classifieds here first. You are taking a gamble getting a "JDM" 7m from a motor company as you are getting one here, but at least if something is wrong with one you buy from a member, it has a better chance of getting resolved.

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
Ive browsed a little throught the for sale section but didnt see too many engines. Ill post in the want to buy section to see about getting one. I just hope shipping isnt gonna be too crazy if I have to get it shipped.

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
Id like to find something more complete with all the timing covers and that stuff. Like I said ill be at school and id like to have a complete engine there to work with. Im not sure how easy its gonna be finding one like that, thats why I thought about going with a jdm one because all the ones I saw were complete for the most part.

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
Im gonna do a little more searching but im gonna deffinitly remember you. It seems you have a ton of parts I might need if I cant get a complete engine. I really appreciate all your help.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
The motor add that was placed in this thread was mine. I sold it to a friedn in Ohio that was going to use it, he now quit his job and he has no moeny to complete his project. This would be a great option for you right now, because everything is new. Everything was blue printed.

When I got the motor it had nothing: NO: Oil pan, oil pump, valve covers, front lower timing cover, lower timing cover that goes over that, no rear main seal, top timing cover, I put a " gates Timing Belt " on it, timed it correctly, motor ran perfect and strong, didn't rev past 3900 RPMS:

Good luck with a motor.

yayfish24

Sep 7, 2008
avondale pa
The search continues for the motor. I just talked to the guy from my potential school. I have to meet with him next wednesday so hopefully I will start soon or in the spring. I really wanna the motor as soon as I can that way I have it for school.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I got a perfectly working '92 Supra Motor. It just came out of my '92 teal supra, should work wonders for you, has 76,000 miles on it. Has a newer* HG and everything is clean like a 7m should be thanks.