JDM Harness/ECU Question,

PhiDelt109

MkIII Hobbyist
Jun 2, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Hey everyone,

I have a 87t 5spd car.

I just recieved a shockingly clean JDM 7mgte and a 99% perfect harness w/ECU..Auto 89+... I got lucky.....

Can I use the JDM ECU/Harness in my car? Do the 5spd mod to the harness? I know it can be done on auto USDM ECU and harness.

The harness on my old 7m is on it's last leg for sure, down-right nasty and brittle, along with most of the sensors.

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
The short answer is no its not compatible but thats probably not what you want to hear. If you find the right wiring directions you can change the plugs on the 89+ harness to the 87 plugs from your old harness.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Well, I'm not sure offhand if they are the same length. Assuming they are, then it is quite possible you could use it, you can put a pre 89 ecu and harness in an 89, so I don't see why you can't put a 89+ ecu and harness in an 87. The only thing you can't do is use an older ecu with a newer engine harness and vice versa.

PhiDelt109

MkIII Hobbyist
Jun 2, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Yeah Just came up from the garage.....the JDM Harness is alot shorter. DOH!
It looks like it might....maybee....almost reach but i dont think so. Anyone ever lengthened one before???
I also wonder what sensors if ANY I could use off the JDM 89+?

Werewolf: I wasn't quite clear that I will be using the JDM Engine aswell.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The JDM harness is a lot shorter...JDM cars are right hand drive...the ECU is on the left side of the car ;)

The JDM ECU is compatable with USDM Supras, except for the EGR...I ran one for a while. Unless you can figure out a way to mount the ECU on the left (or lengthen the harness), you will have to use a USDM harness. If you want to use the JDM ECU, you will need an '89+ harness.

Do not use the JDM oil sensor...it can fry an USDM gauge.

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
PhiDelt109 said:
Yeah Just came up from the garage.....the JDM Harness is alot shorter. DOH!
It looks like it might....maybee....almost reach but i dont think so. Anyone ever lengthened one before???
I also wonder what sensors if ANY I could use off the JDM 89+?

Werewolf: I wasn't quite clear that I will be using the JDM Engine aswell.

My bad, I didn't explain myself very well. I also forgot about the JDM harness being form a RHD car so its much shorter. All that aside here what I was trying to say. Yes you can use the 89 harness and ECU in your 87 BUT the body plugs on the harness will be quite different on the 89 vs. the 87. You would have to remover the body clips from the 89 and replace them with the ones from your 87 harness. They are no a direct swap so you would need wiring info and pinouts.