JDM Crankshaft pulley 7MGE

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
Due to stupidity I purchased a JDM 7MGE engine. Want to re-do the timing belt. I cannot get the crank pulleyto break loose. The engine is out of the car. I just want to verify that there is no possiblity that a JDM engine would have left handed threads on the crank bolt. So far I have tried a breaker bar and a 1/2 inch air impact operating at 110 lbs. I have remove several of these from US engines with nowhere near the problems I have now.
Thanks in advance

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
What you need is a big tool.

I made this out of a piece of stainless.

p886107_1.jpg

sbenson619

Nov 2, 2007
San Diego
I used a tool called a Crank stopper from matco tools. one of the master techs at my shop said it always works if the impact wont break it loose. that and a 2ft long breaker bar and a pipe broke it loose.

BlindRonin

Where are my pants!
Feb 27, 2006
St. Louis Missouri
If your talking about breaking the pully bolt loose you need to get a harder hitting impact. Grim is absolutely right 110 wont even budge that. We have a huge 500lbs impact Cannon we use when removing pully bolt, and strut mounts. Of course I cut it down to around 250.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
110 psi. on the hose = 1000 ft. lbs. tq.(reverse) on my 1/2" impact gun. That pulley bolt comes loose pretty quick ;)

With the motor out, drop the oil pan, and wedge the crank. Then get on it with a breaker bar and cheater pipe.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Is the pulley that comes on the JDM engines the same as the one on the supra. My supra pulley is pretty rusty and the one on the JDM I have is nice and clean I would rather use that if I can.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
yeah no impact at our shop would touch my crank bolt it was hold the flywheel and get the breaker bar and a 2ft cheater bar and my full body weight to break it loose. (btw i weigh 300lbs!)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ then you have weak impact guns. if you broke it with a breaker bar and 2ft cheater bar, you have weak impact guns. :)

BlindRonin

Where are my pants!
Feb 27, 2006
St. Louis Missouri
Always oil Your impacts ppl no joke! They will firm up and hit harder after you re oil them even if its been a REALLY long time. My Ingersol was so weak till I oiled it then it felt twice as strong.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
gnarkill87;887948 said:
yeah no impact at our shop would touch my crank bolt it was hold the flywheel and get the breaker bar and a 2ft cheater bar and my full body weight to break it loose. (btw i weigh 300lbs!)

So you're saying it took 600 ft/lbs? That's quite a bit, actually.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
The dead block that I pulled out of my supra has a crank bolt that will not budge. I have hit it with impact wrench, breaker bar, breaker bar w/ pipe. Nothing. I am going to have to haul it to my dads workplace and have him hit it with one of thier 3/4" air guns.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I went to Lowes and bought some flat bar and made 2 holes for the 12mm bolts and screwed it to the JDM crank pulley and I had made a bigger hole for my socket. I rested the far end on a piece of steel and with the engine secured to the skid I hung from the rafters on my car port stood on my big Snap On ratchet. I had to hop up and down on it but it finally broke free. YAY!!

p892888_1.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
nice. :) (please note that the JDM pulleys are the same as USDM.;))