JDM AT transmission Question

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Actually, there is one major difference. The tail shaft cover and speedometer gear are different.

The difference between the JDM and the USDM is that the speedo drive on the JDM exits on the drivers side, whereas the USDM speedo drive cable exits on the passenger side.

What you'll have to do is swap the tailshaft housing for your USDM unit as well as the speedometer gear. It's also a good idea to replace the bearing at the end of the tailshaft.

MK3head6789

Dec 5, 2006
Georgia
suprabad said:
Actually, there is one major difference. The tail shaft cover and speedometer gear are different.

The difference between the JDM and the USDM is that the speedo drive on the JDM exits on the drivers side, whereas the USDM speedo drive cable exits on the passenger side.

What you'll have to do is swap the tailshaft housing for your USDM unit as well as the speedometer gear. It's also a good idea to replace the bearing at the end of the tailshaft.

so how exactlly do you do this, i will be putting my jdm tranny in, in a week or two, and i guess i need to know how to do this?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
MK3head6789 said:
so how exactlly do you do this, i will be putting my jdm tranny in, in a week or two, and i guess i need to know how to do this?

Keep in mind alot of the JDM auto trans that are resold are from JDM Soarer's ( 340el's). Not a problem with exception of the tailshaft housing.

It's pretty simple. The part you want to swap on the trans is the part of the transmission case that the driveshaft fits into as well as the speedometer gear and assembly.

As I recall there are 4 bolts holding it on. Just take out the 4 bolts and pull the thing off. You may have to jiggle it a bit or tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it. Also there is a oil seal on the end that you can pull out and it's a good idea to replace it while you have the transmission out.

One more thing I just remembered, there is a gasket between the tailshaft housing and the transmission case, probably best to replace this to so you don't encounter any leaks down the road.

MK3head6789

Dec 5, 2006
Georgia
suprabad said:
Keep in mind alot of the JDM auto trans that are resold are from JDM Soarer's ( 340el's). Not a problem with exception of the tailshaft housing.

It's pretty simple. The part you want to swap on the trans is the part of the transmission case that the driveshaft fits into as well as the speedometer gear and assembly.

As I recall there are 4 bolts holding it on. Just take out the 4 bolts and pull the thing off. You may have to jiggle it a bit or tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it. Also there is a oil seal on the end that you can pull out and it's a good idea to replace it while you have the transmission out.

One more thing I just remembered, there is a gasket between the tailshaft housing and the transmission case, probably best to replace this to so you don't encounter any leaks down the road.

oh, thinks, that sounds easy enough to do. what places would have the gaskets? autozone? advanced?