jdm 7mgte question

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
What goin on everyone thinkin bout getting a low mile jdm 7mgte and freshing it up a bit and putting a mhg on and running a mp t-70 on but my question is do yall think my motor will run reliably for a good while I know to keep maintnence up and what not but I have an hp goal of around 500-600.

So basicaly can I run this setup reliably if the motor is in good conditoon.
I will also have all the supporting fuel and electronic mods.

thanks
Michael

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
That whole JDM low mile thing is complete BS. I would give that motor a solid once over before you do anything to it. Also run JDM ECU or equip the motor with an EGR system. Your looking to get 500-600 HP, At the very least you should have the block and head resurfaced, a full rebuild is a good idea with a "mystery motor" such as that.

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
lewis15498;1416966 said:
That whole JDM low mile thing is complete BS. I would give that motor a solid once over before you do anything to it. Also run JDM ECU or equip the motor with an EGR system. Your looking to get 500-600 HP, At the very least you should have the block and head resurfaced, a full rebuild is a good idea with a "mystery motor" such as that.

Yeah I understand that the motor could have been through hell for all I know thats why I would freshen it up with some new rings, mhg, oil pump, and whatever else needs to be replaced.

this is my debate I have a 7mgte in my car now it has 205,xxx miles and runs fine has some blow by I think but other then that it runs decent but Ive been thinking rebuild this one or buy a low mile jdm. I know machine work to my motor thats in the car would be a shit load of money.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
bis_1315m;1416972 said:
Yeah I understand that the motor could have been through hell for all I know thats why I would freshen it up with some new rings, mhg, oil pump, and whatever else needs to be replaced.

this is my debate I have a 7mgte in my car now it has 205,xxx miles and runs fine has some blow by I think but other then that it runs decent but Ive been thinking rebuild this one or buy a low mile jdm. I know machine work to my motor thats in the car would be a shit load of money.

Why would it cost any more than the machine work for the JDM motor. While machine work is not cheap its not "a shitload" The JDM Motor is no better than the one you have. Get yourself a beater, pull the motor rebuild it and put it back in. Gonna cost you the same either way except you dont have to buy and ship a new motor

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
alright so I can pick up a jdm with roughly 30,xxx to 60,xxx miles localy for about $1300 and by the time I freshen it up I would have spent about $1800 or so but If I was to pull my motor I would need some head work cuz my valve stems are toast and I would put some .40 probes in and some clevite bearings and arp everything and polish and resurface crank, hone cylinder walls and you think this would be roughly the same price.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Look the whole JDM engine is being discussed alot now a days. Say you spend 1500 on the rebuild engine at least you know what you have in the engine. Shop around there were 2 sets of 40 over pistons on the FS thread for 300.

Probe pistons inc rings- 300-400
shot peened rebuilt stock rods w/arp- 150
ACL or king bearing set 60
Full engine gasket set ebay 60
MHG 150
arp studs 100

TOTAL IN PARTS +/- $1000
MACHINE WORK +/- $550-600

Thats just an estimate, it could be less if you source some cheaper parts. Now for the JDM engine

Jdm Engine $1300
MHG $150
Arp Head studs $100
Resurface Head $100

Total +/- $1650

Its about the same in how much you gonna spend in bothe but one is Forged and the other one still has the BS advertisement of 30-60k on it. In the forged one its all new ........

This is just to Give you and idea man , this is just my 2 cents. If you do a stock rebuild instead of the forged pistons just subtract the 300 dllrs but with stock pistons it will get your 600 hp goal. But for how long i cant guarantee it ....Good luck and search its one of those decisions tha can come back and bite you in the ass like it did me ...lol

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
bis_1315m;1417017 said:
alright so I can pick up a jdm with roughly 30,xxx to 60,xxx miles localy for about $1300 and by the time I freshen it up I would have spent about $1800 or so but If I was to pull my motor I would need some head work cuz my valve stems are toast and I would put some .40 probes in and some clevite bearings and arp everything and polish and resurface crank, hone cylinder walls and you think this would be roughly the same price.

I told you before but you didnt get it so let me be blunt. If you honestly belive a 20 yr old motor has 30-60k on it your an idiot. The only time I would take someones word on a JDM motor, is if it was a full front clip complete with odometer, but the fact that theirs a 30k spread on the figure you were given I know thats not the case. Plus as I said before, with the 7Ms there really isnt a benefit to getting a JDM one. Had you seen some of the things that have happened to 7Ms your nuts to buy a mystery motor. Put the money you have into a rebuild and your motor will have a long healthy life assuming its built right and you take care of it. Slap a new hg on a "low mi JDM motor" and you have no idea when and what problems your gonna run into.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Unless your doing a non turbo to turbo conversion its going to be better to rebuild your engine. your going to have to do the same things to the JDM engine as yours. When I got my JDM the head gasket was blown, turbo was locked up, head was warped, valves were leaking and probably more than that. A full rebuild is needed on your engine or the JDM. With the JDM though you will be $1300 in the hole already.

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
alright this is all i need to here im goin to rebuild mine and not go jdm. but one more question what do yall think is more cost efficent rebuild my motor or go 2jz na-t and remeber my goal is 500-600hp.
thanks for everyones help
michael

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
If cost is your main concern I personally would think the 7M would be the best choice. Only because if it were me I would rebuild the 2JZ also, since it would obviously be used. And install lower compression ratio pistons. and then your going to need all the swap components.