Jdm 7m rebuild

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
I'm about to order a JDM motor w/40k-55k. Gonna have the heads resurfaced and headgasket changed to mhg and new seals and gaskets also. Should I also have the piston rings changed or do you think they'll be good? What are the chances they'd be good/bad?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
just do a compression test when you get the motor. if it fails a dry compression as in a cylinder is more than 10% different than the others then do a wet compression. if you notice the numbers shoot up your rings bad. I doubt they'll be bad
to make this better for you, theres a section on here for build threads if you post your build and everything and what your plans are, condition of motor, what you want etc. you'll get good responses

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you are prepping for a MHG, you'll have the block torn down. (You need to in order to deck the head surface)

Since you're having that done, get them to magnaflux the block, hone the cylinders and line bore the mains at the very least. You should also have them polish the crank and re-size the big ends for your rods.

At that point, they'll tell you what you need in terms of head gasket thickness and bearings for both rods and mains. New piston rings would also be called for. None of these things are a big extra cost at this point.