jdm 7m + mhg

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
my jdm engine will be here tuesday and I cant wait to get it in the car! I also have a cometic mhg and arp headstuds to go on it. my question is this. what do i need to do before i put on the mhg and studs? if the gasket on the jdm motor is not blown does it still need to be lapped? and how would i go about doing this?

thanks, brad

z1turbo

Apr 24, 2005
lenexa kansas
s4.photobucket.com
7mSuprapower89 said:
my jdm engine will be here tuesday and I cant wait to get it in the car! I also have a cometic mhg and arp headstuds to go on it. my question is this. what do i need to do before i put on the mhg and studs? if the gasket on the jdm motor is not blown does it still need to be lapped? and how would i go about doing this?

thanks, brad

Mill the head and get the block lapped and then your set.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
once you pull the head. You MUST have it checked for flatness. The same is true for the block.

btw not sure how much money you have but if the engine is out. I would replace the main and rod bearings ;) That way you have a brand spanking new engine essentially. Remember. In the end. Used is Used reardless of if it is JDM, UDSM, or USSR ;)

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
7mSuprapower89 said:
how do I check the block? just with a straight edge or do i have to take it to a machine shop?
Not any straight edge will do. You need a precision straight edge, like shops have. You won't find a precision straight edge at Wal-Mart or Home Depot; they're not that straight. Some do think that rulers are straight enough to measure heads & blocks though.

A machinist would put a precision straight edge to the surface in question & use feeler gauges to measure warpage. Another machinist I talked to uses, I think he pointed at his mill (I know it was a big machine), to measure warpage instead of using a precision straight edge.

They will check it for free usually, but getting it there is the hard part. Maybe you can bribe them or, IF you are friends with them, ask to borrow the precision straight edge.