JDM 7m-gte

Status
Not open for further replies.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
ok so i know there are a lot of stupid threads on here about this, and i have seen a few posts of people saying its a bad idea to get one. but does anyone have any atcual experiance with a "low milliage" jdm 7m off one of the web sites? any JDM 7m horror storys? or good storys too. lets hear it.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I do not know where it came from but the prev owner of my 89 bought a 30k mile JDM and had it installed. after he replaced the stock head gasket. So far its doing great. I have had no problems. I hear it is a hit or miss thing. You could get a great one or you could get a bad one.

Either way if you buy one you may as well do some upgrades while its out. Metal HG ARP's.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I would say if you are in need of an inexpensive long block (and whatever else comes with it) that you plan to rebuild its OK. Would I buy one, check it out and plunk it in... no way in hell.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Ive had 2 supras that had swapped jdm motors. Both of them blew head gaskets right after I started modifying it. Basically if you're going over stock its going to need another headgasket at least. It will last for a bit at higher boost but its going to go. The headgasket is old and probably torqued at factory specs which is bad.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Personally i have had good luck with jdm's in the past. I had the chance to actually go to NAD Auto since i do live in atlanta and take the valve covers off and i picked out the ones i wanted. Basically i took which ever one had the cleanest internals. I changed the rear main seal, oil pump, and tq'ed the stock head gasket to 75lbs ...... I had an issue with one of my N/A's. It smoked a little and i took it back to them and they gave me another one

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
TurboWarrior said:
Ive had 2 supras that had swapped jdm motors. Both of them blew head gaskets right after I started modifying it. Basically if you're going over stock its going to need another headgasket at least. It will last for a bit at higher boost but its going to go. The headgasket is old and probably torqued at factory specs which is bad.

Every place i have spoken to in the ATL changes the headgasket and tq's them to 65 or so .... i thought all places would or should do the same. Also why do people down the stock head gasket ..... the head gasket is good for some serious power that most mkiii owners never get too which is the 400rwhp mark if they are tq'ed right and have good tuning.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
and ya i was thinking of doing the head gaskey while its out and throwing arps on it. trouble is that voids the warrenty before i even get to start it. i would like to start it and make sure its all good and dandy before i rip it apart. would i be able to re-tourqe the head down maybe?

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
bountykilla0118 said:
Every place i have spoken to in the ATL changes the headgasket and tq's them to 65 or so .... i thought all places would or should do the same. Also why do people down the stock head gasket ..... the head gasket is good for some serious power that most mkiii owners never get too which is the 400rwhp mark if they are tq'ed right and have good tuning.

I am rebuilding right now. Headgasket was leaking and it was rebuilt by toyota by the previous owner and torqued to 75ft/lbs. My old car was a swapped JDM motor untouched it blew the same way compression leak cyl 6. This one blew at a measly 11psi. thats why im done with the stock headgasket i will never use one again.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
againstdawall06 said:
and ya i was thinking of doing the head gaskey while its out and throwing arps on it. trouble is that voids the warrenty before i even get to start it. i would like to start it and make sure its all good and dandy before i rip it apart. would i be able to re-tourqe the head down maybe?

They are supposed to do a compression test and they normal have the results taped on the timing cover or simply you can ask them for the results. I am not sure how many other test you plan on doing to see if its fine and "dandy". Ask them if they have changed the head gasket and if they did what did they tq it too ..... I m sure you can ask them to bump the tq up 10lbs or so. If they wont tq it then you can re-tq the new head gasket.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
TurboWarrior said:
I am rebuilding right now. Headgasket was leaking and it was rebuilt by toyota by the previous owner and torqued to 75ft/lbs. My old car was a swapped JDM motor untouched it blew the same way compression leak cyl 6. This one blew at a measly 11psi. thats why im done with the stock headgasket i will never use one again.

i ran 14 psi on my stock head gaset everyday before i ran my old motor low on oil. never blew a head gasket. i know of people who have tuned there car upwards of 500hp on the stock hg with ARPs.

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
bountykilla0118 said:
They are supposed to do a compression test and they normal have the results taped on the timing cover or simply you can ask them for the results. I am not sure how many other test you plan on doing to see if its fine and "dandy". Ask them if they have changed the head gasket and if they did what did they tq it too ..... I m sure you can ask them to bump the tq up 10lbs or so. If they wont tq it then you can re-tq the new head gasket.

well if any of the internals are messed up. say, rodknock:cry: .

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
againstdawall06 said:
im not really sure what hamstrung is. could you clarify?

Being hamstrung is when someone severs your tendon at your ankle. That tendon runs up your entire leg and it's the muscle that alows you to walk. So if you were hamstrung you would never be able to use that leg to walk with again. It's just a figure of speech ppl use.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
againstdawall06 said:
i ran 14 psi on my stock head gaset everyday before i ran my old motor low on oil. never blew a head gasket. i know of people who have tuned there car upwards of 500hp on the stock hg with ARPs.

I never had arps. but how long did you run for? I drove everyday for like 4 months in my first car before it blew lots of km. I know people are saying it lasts at higher boost levels etc but some people just dont drive there cars enough to really know. If it lasts 2 years and you drive it only during the summer thats still no good its not worth a full rebuild just because of the stock hg.

Status
Not open for further replies.