jdm 2jzgte swap question

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
Thinkin about putting a jdm 2jzgte in my car and I have a goal of 550-650whp and was wondering if I need to freshen up the motor or are they pretty much bullet proof all ready and if I do need to change some things let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
With a motor you don't know the history of...think about it...would you drive a tank across a bridge without knowing if the bridge can handle it?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
As long as your engine is in good shape, you should be fine. But with getting a used engine you dont really know whats going on. Best advice is spend a little extra cash on a company with a good reputation that hand picks their engines and you should be fine.

bis_1315m

Dec 14, 2006
charlotte north carolina
tissimo;1493566 said:
As long as your engine is in good shape, you should be fine. But with getting a used engine you dont really know whats going on. Best advice is spend a little extra cash on a company with a good reputation that hand picks their engines and you should be fine.

I'm staying in phoenix az right now is there any jdm motor place around me you would recommend.

Thanks

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Even from a reputable place, it is good to pull it apart and check it. The Aristo motor I got came from JHOT, which is one of the better dealers and it had problems. When we pulled the head, several of the water passages were completely blocked with crud. It was easy to fix, but it probably would have blown a head gasket in due time. Tissimo actually helped me tear it apart.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
pull it apart and replace all the seals gaskets including the head gasket. It sucks getting your car all put together only to find a BHG. Ask me how i know, i replaced everything except the headgasket because i taught the 2jz's weren't supposed to get that, and i thought 2jz's didnt get BHG's that easily?

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Think about it. Even the most respectable engine dealer is NOT going to know the full history of the engine, and if It's dogged out and whatnot. They also are NOT going to pull the valve covers, the head, the oil pan, the caps to check bearings, etc etc.

Now, a respectable dealer is going to sell you an engine that is running and in good condition *to their knowledge*.

A bad dealer, will sell you a bad engine even if they know It's bad. That's the difference.

-Mike

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
Its true that you never know what your getting. Where I went, they had over a dozen 2jz, I checked 2 of em, and bought the 2nd one. I looked at the compression, oil condition, general exterior condition of the motor.
It coming from an aristo helps the fact that it may have been less beaten up on than if it came from a supra, but i've seen some rather modded aristo, sp thats no sure bet !!!
Payed $1500 canadian and Putting down 400hp with zero problems.

I did however check the main bearings once the motor was bought, I had to change the oilpans anyways.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
marc3;1497509 said:
Its true that you never know what your getting. Where I went, they had over a dozen 2jz, I checked 2 of em, and bought the 2nd one. I looked at the compression, oil condition, general exterior condition of the motor.
It coming from an aristo helps the fact that it may have been less beaten up on than if it came from a supra, but i've seen some rather modded aristo, sp thats no sure bet !!!
Payed $1500 canadian and Putting down 400hp with zero problems.

I did however check the main bearings once the motor was bought, I had to change the oilpans anyways.

I would check compression, oil condition and for sludge, and coolant condition, lots of people dont care to check the coolant- in my eyes, It's pretty important. If they really were confident in the motor they'd probably let you pull a valve cover, but who knows.

-Mike

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have been down this road on more than one occassion, with more than one car, not just the 2JZ. I personally think you are throwing money away and also a heck of a lot of time if you just put in a used engine without rebuilding it. If you are going to do the swap, have the engine refreshed by an engine rebuilder. Also, don't cheap out on gaskets. I did and we have had to replace the front main seal and cam seals. Don't go cheap on the most important part of your car.

Dan

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
only put into the engine what you expect out of it - fat chance many of the engines out there will last with much higher power goals.. you kdont know the history of any of em..