Jaguar_5's 87 Turbo Build

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Not that exciting of an update, but I got some work done today. My car is a rolling chassis now! (even though it hasn't been put on the ground or rolled yet ;))

I installed my rear calipers, bled all 4, the pedal feels nice and stiff

I also installed my new fuel filter (thanks Ian! - If you even remember selling it to me ;))

AFPR Kit is on the way, and I dropped off my injectors at Witchhunter for testing and if needed, cleaning.

Here is the picture I got before my camera died, pretty boring but If I don't post a picture I know someone will give me a hard time for it :biglaugh:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Got my Aeromotive AFPR kit yesterday :D
My camera is still dead, but it's not like you guys don't know what one looks like :biglaugh:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Got some more parts from Toyota today, as well as my Injectors! They were within 3% before, now all within 1% :D

And my turbo appears to be in better condition than I expected, so everything is moving forward as planned!

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Jaguar_5;1026736 said:
Got some more parts from Toyota today, as well as my Injectors! They were within 3% before, now all within 1% :D

And my turbo appears to be in better condition than I expected, so everything is moving forward as planned!

60-1 ct26....
:naughty:
You know you wanna.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I want to, but I can't afford any expenses that I dont need to get my engine running, and considering I have 0 axial play, and minimal radial, I'm good until I buy a real turbo, not a CT26 :D

I hope I don't regret saying this publicly but I expect to have the engine dropped in on the 31'st, anyone who wants to come, send me a pm, and don't expect the car to be running that day! There will still be some ends to tie with the maft pro system, and other important details.

I'm pretty sure all I have left to do is install my P/S pump, fuel rail, thermostat housing, and then the engine will be ready to mate with the R154 and get dropped in

I still need to measure the 4 bolts needed for the transmission mount to the chassis

Other than that I got my last bits of HW from toyota monday, my last AN fittings and new oil filter adapters shipped today, I ordered my Trasko bypass filter today, I'm down to only about $200 in parts to get this car running :D This includes spark plugs, oil for the engine, trans, and diff... I'm sure I'll hit a few surprises though

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
It will get done.

I'm still not setting a deadline though... but I am still on track for getting it dropped in next Sunday.

Today:
Worked on all kinds of details here and there on the engine, finished my wiring harness with all the Maft Pro and LC1 stuff, installed the P/S Pump, installed my fuel rail with my flowed injectors and a AN adapter instead of the stock FPR :) And just kinda went over everything trying to make sure I'll have everything ready to go next week

I also think I fixed my hatch leak, i cleaned and added some RTV at the base of the window, specifically around the center clip for the moulding, thats where it was really leaking

I'm wondering, as far as the MAFT-Pro, considering I'm still going to be mostly stock for the things that should effect it: 440 injectors, ct-26, I plan on setting the aeromotive to stock pressure... It should be quite easy to get it up and running smooth enough that I can do a proper break-in without worrying about being too rich or lean? Or since I'm going to speed-density will there still be quite abit of tweaking?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Dont worry about the maftpro when you just start driving. The pro just adjusts for data that ISNT within stock specs, like boost, fuel etc. Since the data going into your stock ecu like the amount of fuel and boost is the same then theoretically you should just be able to put in the initial settings and run like it did stock.

You should be able to give accurate feedback and data on exactly how the stock supra is tuned. I'm curious to see how rich the stock setup is.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Jaguar_5;1033881 said:
Even though I'll be running speed density?

That is just going to change what apparatus is sending the data for how much air is flowing into the engine. The data values will be the same its just a different device sending the signal. Amount of air being sent in should be the exact same value. If it wasnt the maftpro wouldnt be doing its job.

keonijared

Supralearner
May 7, 2008
Springfield, MO
Just went through all 40 pages. Excellent build, especially for your first time. I am looking to go down your same road, with the same car. How much TOTAL $$$ are you into it if you don't mind telling?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I'm not entirely sure, lets just say its a 5 digit number...

Take your estimate, and if it is reasonable, double it ;)

Got my Trasko today!! Very simple and clever in design

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The Trasko is a bypass filter...the blue fitting is rather ingenious valve that only allows a small amount of oil through the filter compared to a conventional full flow. That oil is forced under pressure through the filter element...basically a cut down, tightly wound roll of TP. The Trasko has a fine mesh screen to support the roll at both ends. It catches particles in the 1 micron range. ;)

More info here:
Trasko

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Yes it is :)

Started mounting my dual oil filter mount, 2 out of 3 brackets are complete

I did not get the engine dropped in today, Kyle wasn't able to bring over the engine hoist, and I'd rather wait then spend $80 on renting one!! Plus I should be spending time working on my final projects...

I did complete a few details on the engine the other day, heres how it stands:

And my Canton billet 90* swiveling oil adaptor: